Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

12z GFS is still OTS for Thursday

At the surface, not insignificant shifts north with both the low pressure center and precip shield from 0Z run as of Thursday morning. 0Z run had center of low pressure east of NC/SC border, this run has it East of Hatteras. 0Z run kept precip south of Delmarva on Thursday morning, this run gets the precip through all of Delmarva and almost to Cape May.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the ground is still frozen that will be ok with me. If the surface melts/thaws before the rain there will be a lot of flooded basements. I think most of us would rather it runs right off.

Give in one department and take in another. A frozen ground would greatly increase the river flooding risk.

Flooding rain storm showing up late next week on GFS.

We can't keep dodging that bullet eventually it will happen. I just hope we don't have a mega cutter that ruins the epic snow season up in the New England mountains as I have been able to go up yet as I have to work every time it snows here.

I like a coating to an inch type deal for Thursday for coastal areas.

Monday Tuesday another mess at the coast and possibly number 2 event Nw

I'm hard pressed to believe that scenario will unfold. The trend all Winter long has been for systems to trend weaker and colder inside of 5 days. Front end dump to ice/rain seems more likely IMO.

If that epo breaks down its possible, but factors are against it, including the negative pna

PBGFI said it last night, with the AO and NAO positive, a -PNA along with -EPO favors New England. We are going to see the SE ridge popping up again

That SE ridge will get beaten down . Even when you see it at 500mb , the 850`s are cold , so any warm ups get muted . 

PBGFI said it last night, with the AO and NAO positive, a -PNA along with -EPO favors New England. We are going to see the SE ridge popping up again

That is very possible, but that still wouldn't favor a large cutter. The EPO will keep supplying some pretty cold air into the eastern US, so it will be hard pressed to cut completely. Furthermore, the flow is still screaming, so most energy will likely stay sheared and unconsolidated in the center of the country. For a cutter, we need to get a pretty amped solution. If anything, with the PNA projected to dip further, I could see what we're seeing this week; Miller A's from the deep South and Gulf which then round the corner to hit NE as PB alluded to.

That is very possible, but that still wouldn't favor a large cutter. The EPO will keep supplying some pretty cold air into the eastern US, so it will be hard pressed to cut completely. Furthermore, the flow is still screaming, so most energy will likely stay sheared and unconsolidated in the center of the country. For a cutter, we need to get a pretty amped solution. If anything, with the PNA projected to dip further, I could see what we're seeing this week; Miller A's from the deep South and Gulf which then round the corner to hit NE as PB alluded to.

The thing that gets me is how strong that +PDO is, if you look at the North Pacific SSTS you would think we were in a moderate to strong El Nino, but ENSO is neutral right now. Very odd pattern for sure

I'm not near my computer right now but I guess the 12z euro was uneventful through day 10 by the lack of commentary?

Monday trended colder and Day 7 look for an Amarillo to AC track ( the center prob ends up over DC )  , that should trend colder as well .  2 events next week . 

Monday trended colder and Day 7 look for an Amarillo to AC track ( the center prob ends up over DC ) , that should trend colder as well . 2 events next week .

Ok thanks. I saw on the NE forum they are talking about an ice storm threat on Tues/Wed. That would be kind of hard to believe given it would be during the day and it will be March by then, but I guess stranger things have happened

Archived