Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
End of February/ Early March Discussion Thread 2015

Allsnow

Lol i'm just stating what i am seeing thats all

It's slightly pivoting but the storm is really weak and it's moving east and getting ready for an E/NE shift..Not going to get us though but SNJ may see some flurries as well as far eastern Long Island...

Thursday looks interesting with the storm coming out of the gulf and the one diving SE from Canada

We know our southern system will move quick in this pattern but what about the northern system that dives south?

I don't know much about how overall patterns work (ie; -NAO ect) I just know that they help slow systems down putting the east coast in good position but with a faster more progressive pattern in nature, would that northern system speed up in time for the southern one?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's slightly pivoting but the storm is really weak and it's moving east and getting ready for an E/NE shift..Not going to get us though but SNJ may see some flurries as well as far eastern Long Island...

Thursday looks interesting with the storm coming out of the gulf and the one diving SE from Canada

We know our southern system will move quick in this pattern but what about the northern system that dives south?

I don't know much about how overall patterns work (ie; -NAO ect) I just know that they help slow systems down putting the east coast in good position but with a faster more progressive pattern in nature, would that northern system speed up in time for the southern one?

No. We've seen this all winter and this is why we have not had a sizeable storm strike the eastern seaboard. Without the blocking, the Southern Stream s/w is out running the Northern Stream. A lack of blocking combined with a split flow over the Pacific has not allowed the energies to consolidate in time to give us a strong hit this winter. A negative NAO or negative AO allows the flow to slow down enough so that the energies can consolidate. Without these indicies on our side (more importantly what the indicies represent) , it's very hard to consolidate the energy so it strengthens in time to deliver us a strong storm.

No. We've seen this all winter and this is why we have not had a sizeable storm strike the eastern seaboard. Without the blocking, the Southern Stream s/w is out running the Northern Stream. A lack of blocking combined with a split flow over the Pacific has not allowed the energies to consolidate in time to give us a strong hit this winter. A negative NAO or negative AO allows the flow to slow down enough so that the energies can consolidate. Without these indicies on our side (more importantly what the indicies represent) , it's very hard to consolidate the energy so it strengthens in time to deliver us a strong storm.

Downstream blocking certainly helps, but we haven't seen too many amped southern stream disturbances this season despite the negative EPO split flow regime. With a more active southern stream the probability of trough mergers would certainly increase, especially with the high frequency of deep northern stream PV anomalies embedded in northwesterly flow.

The 00z Euro ensembles don't like the massive cutter idea. Most either redevelop the low or keep the system weak and more towards Western NY like the last storm. None of the members that redevelop the low deepen it in time to give us much snow, but Boston does well.

What about the Sunday night/Monday system?

Archived