joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 " in Queenstown ...I think the ratios were lower than expected, due to it mostly falling as pixie dust which packs down

really well compared to big clumpy dendrites with many air pockets..

Really nice event though, especially without the nagging wind which often follow these events...

A solid 4" IMBY on east side of Columbia.

Looks like I got a little unlucky then.  Don't think you're far from me. 

In terms of model performance, RGEM/GGEM were too suppressed.  GFS and Euro performed the best.  UKMET did well, especially sniffing out the gist of the event first, but was a bit overamped and too wet for here.  

GFS did very well on this and was most consistent in the last 48hr IMO. 

Looks like I got a little unlucky then.  Don't think you're far from me. 

GFS did very well on this and was most consistent in the last 48hr IMO. 

Yeah, it looks there are almost 1" variations across short distances in this one. I hit 4" but the Rockville folk just to my north measured 3.2" and 3.5". 

Edited to add: I usually come in a bit below their totals on snow events. 

My disappointment from this morning quickly went away once I had a chance to shovel the driveway. It is 4 inches of the most perfect sparkling dendrites ever. I dont think a shovel full of this stuff weighs 8 pounds. Ill post some pics in a few. Just perfect snow.

I set my bar at 4".  Still couldn't reach it here.  Oh well, at least it was a cold, dry snow.  We don't get those very often.  I just hope it survives the sun today.

Problem is if you put hundreds of thousands of cars on the road this morning, things wouldn't look so decent right now. 

Saw a jackass going down my street today with all of the snow still on his car except for his windshield and driver's side window.  Yes, it was a BMW.

True.. today wasn't super clear cut though I think it'll look pretty good by noon most spots that have been touched by a plow with the sun out. Honestly looked fine here by 9a on main roads.

With DC not really doing anything till 7a and metro on Sat sched they didn't even really have a choice IMO. Our new mayor might not be very smart.

But, still.. they need a new plan if for no other reason so many DC based businesses with largely DC or metro based employees could have gone to work today. My girlfriend was out the door at 8:30 to go to work downtown and likely had no issues getting there. 

Sure it's partly that they're not quite up to teleworking speed yet but multiple closures per year often for wet roads by 10a is silly at a certain point.

Archived