joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I waited till the morning. Maybe it compacted, who knows?

That's what i figured. NW Baltimore measured 3.5" and i will bet he also waited until the morning. I measured at 4:30 in 4 places and that is what i got. If you and Mappy don't like my measurements just ignore them in the future.

That's what i figured. NW Baltimore measured 3.5" and i will bet he also waited until the morning. I measured at 4:30 in 4 places and that is what i got. If you and Mappy don't like my measurements just ignore them in the future.

I'm not accusing you of anything, just a little surprised. It's true that I didn't have it in me to be up at 5am.

So, I'll drop your totals from my snow map? ;)

I have to piece them together. I don't keep good track of crappy winters. :P

I'm going with 5" got that around 9. Maybe over measured last night or it settled. Near zoo had 5.3.

At least it gets us to Feb climo down here. If we pretend Dec didn't happen not the worst snow year locally plus we'll prob get more.

Don't know what to tell you , if i am incapable of measuring correctly i may need a new ruler.

Look, don't get me wrong, you probably did very well. 3.5" or so is def a decent amount for your area. Given NWBaltmore got 3.5" and he is a stones throw away from you.

4.2" seems a bit high. Given the spotter reports, there is two reports near you both at 4". One in Glyndon (which I believe is Rich/Winterymix) and they do well every storm and the other at Pimilco (a public spotter, so take that with a grain of salt). 

I'm not accusing you of slant sticking, but its kind of high given the measurements around you. 

My postmortem for DC proper

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow/posts/404329553068436?notif_t=like

So, 4.1" fell in my backyard, 4.7" at DCA, and a general 4-5" across DC. A trained spotter at the zoo measured 5.3", but he always seems to be high. I would call this a mini-bust. I missed my forecast range (5-8"), but only by an inch or less. The reason we got a bit less than I forecast was not because we didn't get enough precipitation. We got reasonably close to what I was expecting. Maybe a little less. But because snow ratios were so bad. You all probably noticed how small the flakes were. To my credit, I was not quite as gung-ho about snow to liquid ratios as some were including the National Weather Service. But I did expect to do better than we did which was about 10:1. I think a lot of us thought there would be higher ratios because it was so cold not just at the surface but in the mid and upper levels of the atmosphere. Indications were favorable for the formation of dendrites (big flakes) which would pile up more easily. More fluff factor. My guess is we were too dry in the snow growth layers and/or temperatures where we were moist enough were not ideal for dendrite formation. I hope everyone enjoys what fell. It is a wetter snow than it might appear, which is great because it will take longer to melt.

DCA actually got right about what the runs just before the storm showed liquid wise. I foolishly just assumed the 15:1 ratios even tho I've trolled people in the past about that. Euro was trending down about .1 per run going in so it wasn't too surprising to see it come in a ltitle wet overall.

Look, don't get me wrong, you probably did very well. 3.5" or so is def a decent amount for your area. Given NWBaltmore got 3.5" and he is a stones throw away from you.

4.2" seems a bit high. Given the spotter reports, there is two reports near you both at 4". One in Glyndon (which I believe is Rich/Winterymix) and they do well every storm and the other at Pimilco (a public spotter, so take that with a grain of salt). 

I'm not accusing you of slant sticking, but its kind of high given the measurements around you. 

NW Baltimore is 2 1/2 miles away from me and i measured right when the storm is over. I measure very frequently and i measured right after it was over. I had 4.2" i am not sure what else to tell you. If i am measuring wrong maybe i need a class in it. I think i am very capable of measuring though. Next time i will make sure to undermeasure by .2" so i can match up with other people nearby  ;) .

3.0" in Clarksburg on top of the remains of 0.3" from the squall.  Combine the two and it's 1/10th of the last Presidents Day storm around here...

I'm now at 56% of the yearly average.

Das I measured about 4" on top of what was left from the previous event!  four measurements and 4" was highest by 0.3" 

NW Baltimore is 2 1/2 miles away from me and i measured right when the storm is over. I measure very frequently and i measured right after it was over. I had 4.2" i am not sure what else to tell you. If i am measuring wrong maybe i need a class in it. I think i am very capable of measuring though. Next time i will make sure to undermeasure by .2" so i can match up with other people nearby  ;) .

Do whatever you think you need to do. I was actually trying to be nice and honest with you about it. Ideally, I want to map snow totals again and the more accurate the data I have the better. 

Just take a pic and prove me wrong, and I'll never question you again :)

Do whatever you think you need to do. I was actually trying to be nice and honest with you about it. Ideally, I want to map snow totals again and the more accurate the data I have the better. 

Lol i am at work but when i get home i can gladly take a pic and include the 2" i got Saturday night and you will accuse me of undermeasuring  ;) .

I try to be accurate as possible but in the 5 mile radius around my house there are a lot of crazy microclimates especially in marginal events. There's a NWS spotter about a mile NNE of me and he seems very accurate so I use him as a guide if my measurement seems out of line. I also toss a lot of .25 dustings and usually I always round up or down so everything evens out. Last year I was pretty consistent with area spotters.

I try to be accurate as possible but in the 5 mile radius around my house there are a lot of crazy microclimates especially in marginal events. There's a NWS spotter about a mile NNE of me and he seems very accurate so I use him as a guide if my measurement seems out of line. I also toss a lot of .25 dustings and usually I always round up or down so everything evens out. Last year I was pretty consistent with area spotters.

Never doubted your stuff :)

I'm leaving my total at 3.4"--my second largest snowfall of the season.

For some of us, we verified WSW criteria, but the majority fell short. We're still left hoping for that region wide warning level event because this wasn't it. Precip was well modeled, but no one saw the ratios being as bad as they were. That is a testament to how unpredictable the weather can be, but it is also a testament (imo) to how difficult it is to get ideal conditions in this area to actually max potential. The storm definitely gets a cold powder bonus--this was the coldest snowstorm I experienced since living in SNE. Temps for most of the snow were below 15 degrees. This is also a situation where snow isn't immediately melting now that the storm is departing. That is a bonus too. Congrats to Richmond for ending their drought as well.

All and all, unless you received under 3" I think it would be hard to be anything but moderately satisfied with this storm. Given how awful this winter has been in stretches, having ratios be the thing that underperformed is a good thing.

Overall, I give this storm a B-

It was a good storm and a good several day stretch leading in most years here let alone one leaving any 'wanting'. We are all emotionally invested in snow.. Otherwise it looks like a quality event in a somewhat harshly cold winter.

My postmortem for DC proper

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow/posts/404329553068436?notif_t=like

So, 4.1" fell in my backyard, 4.7" at DCA, and a general 4-5" across DC. A trained spotter at the zoo measured 5.3", but he always seems to be high. I would call this a mini-bust. I missed my forecast range (5-8"), but only by an inch or less. The reason we got a bit less than I forecast was not because we didn't get enough precipitation. We got reasonably close to what I was expecting. Maybe a little less. But because snow ratios were so bad. You all probably noticed how small the flakes were. To my credit, I was not quite as gung-ho about snow to liquid ratios as some were including the National Weather Service. But I did expect to do better than we did which was about 10:1. I think a lot of us thought there would be higher ratios because it was so cold not just at the surface but in the mid and upper levels of the atmosphere. Indications were favorable for the formation of dendrites (big flakes) which would pile up more easily. More fluff factor. My guess is we were too dry in the snow growth layers and/or temperatures where we were moist enough were not ideal for dendrite formation. I hope everyone enjoys what fell. It is a wetter snow than it might appear, which is great because it will take longer to melt.

Thanks for the analysis.  This was our best storm of the season, even though we only got about 3".  Great sledding snow, and turning into great snowball snow.

I'm surprised that we don't have better models for predicting ratios.  Both the Cobb and Evan Kuchera methods seemed to greatly overpredict ratios in this storm. 

It was a good storm and a good several day stretch leading in most years here let alone one leaving any 'wanting'. We are all emotionally invested in snow.. Otherwise it looks like a quality event in a somewhat harshly cold winter.

For DC proper, this was definitely a good snow. There are many many winters where DCA fails to break 4" in a single storm.

For DC proper, this was definitely a good snow. There are many many winters where DCA fails to break 4" in a single storm.

Definitely. Overall a higher end storm for the type and the region it impacted too. I mean depending on how far you were from the max stripe and how much you expected makes a difference but that was a cool event especially these days when it seems like almost every event is a dripfest at some point. 

Looks like my 5" is very similar to places near me and what people have mentioned here.  It follows a pattern of higher amounts to the south with lesser as one goes north.  Matt only got 4.1", Fozz 3"  Friends reporting almost 8" in Spotsy Co

yup, just under 5"

Archived