joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th-17th Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In N. Arlington we have a weird type of snow that makes loud noises and kind of looks like sleet. Is anybody else experiencing this? If so, does anybody know what it is?

I have been getting it for a hour or longer now. also seems like there is rain mixed in with it, but accumulation on the ground isn't getting heavier in weight. and there is no real proof of rain. it's weird.

11.6 about 3".

Here it wasn't really graupel as I'm used to it...more oddly rimmed flakes, some more round like graupel, but upon closer inspection they were these weird rimmed/stacked flakes.

Exactly. You just described it perfectly. If it wasn't for the beech trees with it's old dry leaves, i would of never noticed.

You're talking to the guy who refuted there even was a dry slot earlier, despite the obvious evidence of it on radar coming through WV. It was just me being me, though, I guess. It may fill in, it may not, The HRRR showed this dry area out in western VA today and so did the majority of the globals

There is a difference between a dry slot vs dry mid levels.

Brrrrr! Just a wee bit chilly out, 15°/14°DP in Hampden, light snow continuing to fall, flakes have gotten bigger in the past hour, though not quite as beautiful as the pixie glitter earlier. Very quiet out, except for the odd plow truck braving the death curves on I-83. Time to crack a (few more) brew(s). Cheers!

ETA: have somewhere between 1 and 1.5 inches depending on where I measured.

Archived