joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait until 18z models incorporate the subtle redevelopment of the surface low, main center is now in nw PA heading for Delmarva. The old center will drop to NYC. This may delay explosive cyclogenesis phase 2-3h and allow for better phasing.

Final model trends may all be towards a stronger storm.

Roger that.

Wait until 18z models incorporate the subtle redevelopment of the surface low, main center is now in nw PA heading for Delmarva. The old center will drop to NYC. This may delay explosive cyclogenesis phase 2-3h and allow for better phasing.

Final model trends may all be towards a stronger storm.

Pressures are falling rapidly in the Delmarva, even as far south as offshore Va. Beach area.

Slightly OT....but I was just out around the yard surveying the depth, I have noted for the first time all season, that this pack is finally growing more durable.

Since the conclusion of the early week snows, I have only lost about 4" to compaction, and I am no longer falling through with ease.

29" avg peak depth now down to about 25".

fwiw, and admittedly not very much, I'm looking at where this energy is now and comparing to the 18z and 0z runs from yesterday for 12 and 18 hours out. It looks like the GFS had a slightly better handle on the current stuff. Obviously not dispositive of much, including the redevelopment of the low, but this should be fun to look back at.

Slightly OT....but I was just out around the yard surveying the depth, I have noted for the first time all season, that this pack is finally growing more durable.

Since the conclusion of the early week snows, I have only lost about 4" to compaction, and I am no longer falling through with ease.

Were your leggins on for this?

You have 25" on the ground?  Would've thought more like 30-36".

With all the zig-zagging going on here about where the storm is or isn't going to be, have the thoughts on the winds tomorrow changed?  

Assuming the winds are cranking tomorrow, as long as there is enough snow for the wind to really rip around, the difference between 6 inches or 8 inches here doesn't make much difference to me.

I was in Westford  MA yesterday and the depth wasn't that much greater, but it was clearly a more compacted a durable pack than I have in Bow.

Yea, once you get enough events, it almost seems as though the sacrifices in the depth you have made along the way because of compaction begin to manifest themselves into a more durable pack.

That is where I'm at.

Some will. :lol: Depends how you deal

I grab an extra shawl and drink black coffee instead of with milk.

What's interesting is that NAVGEM model is still TROWALing all the way back W. of Albany, and suggests a solid 9 to 12 hours of hammering in high winds for everyone...  This is of the utmost extreme solutions I have seen, but I recall commenting with Will that it was doing that on the 12z guidance yesterday.  It did so on the 00z run, too.. Now this:

f24.gif

John--I would sh*t if that happened.  It's a lovely look but talk about a model being alone.......

Right. But I think the QPF looks bit too skimpy. Lots of people taking numbers down. I don't see the need to.

The good thing when you have low numbers to start is you don't really need to lower them.

What's interesting is that NAVGEM model is still TROWALing all the way back W. of Albany, and suggests a solid 9 to 12 hours of hammering in high winds for everyone...  This is of the utmost extreme solutions I have seen, but I recall commenting with Will that it was doing that on the 12z guidance yesterday.  It did so on the 00z run, too.. Now this:

f24.gif

Is the NAVGEM known to do be over bullish with Precip (QPF)

it  just has a very robust precip field and its mid levels at that point (unless resolution is very poor) are slightly weaker than the 12z gfs has at 12z Sunday. Is the NAVGEM known to be overly bullish on Precip fields

Well, then why do you only have 9-12: a a range?

You think lower ratios?

Wind makes higher ratios like 20:1 hard, although tonight may do it. I just think good WAA snows and we do get the CCB in the morning. Could very well be higher but that is my more comfy range. For now. But hey, I'm also not forecasting today.

Is the NAVGEM known to do this? or is this a bit of a "Flag". I mean I never hear the mode talked about except that it has a SE bias.

I mean does it EXPLODE MID LEVELS? because it seems to me if you ran other models in some sort of "ensemble" scenario where Mid level lows deepened much more rapidly than forecast, then this is what you would get for a out put. Something  like the 18z or 0z gfs from yesterday but  on steroids (with even more explosive mid levels) or is it just seeing the storm at currently modeled strength but able to generate  more robust precipitation

The NOGAPS had a SE bias. The NAVGEM is the NOGAPS love child, but it's not entirely the same model so you can't necessarily apply the same biases to it. I wouldn't put much/any stock in it though.

A thread dedicated to the queens if New England. Let's see if this event is the "revenge of the queens" or "queens be damned".

Harvey broke down the snow totals reserving the lions share for tomorrow morning which he felt would be 5-10+. He also fully acknowledged the lull coming in between.

Archived