joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. You'd think it was the Mid-Atlantic with the acrimony and micro analyzing in here. Think this will be fun, whether it's a windy inch or a foot. Love the water vapor loop for the last 24 hours and the responding baroclinic leaf popping over the Mid-Atlantic.

Coastal Mass has always been in the cross-hairs though, so it's natural for the more fringe or questionable areas to micro-analyze it.

GFS now looks generally similar to the Euro with it's evolution, a bit juicer re QPF in western sections, but overall it's a fairly similar combo. I think if the Euro comes in similar to it's 0z run, take a blend of those two and call it a day. GGEM is out to lunch with the evolution compared to those two in that it doesn't even close off H5, so I'm tossing it unless the Euro shifts towards that evolution as well. 

This.

GFS caved to the EURO a little later than most thought.

Distortions of reality not withstanding.

Should be abut 8-12" of high ratio fluff out this way.

Coastal Mass has always been in the cross-hairs though, so it's natural for the more fringe or questionable areas to micro-analyze it.

I don't mean to marginalize analysis in general. I just wonder whether the utility gained from micro analyzing tenuous features like inverted troughs, which often don't behave as modeled, is worth the agonizing (pro forecasters excepted). It's a big, complicated atmospheric dance, not sure how well any of the models will perform. At this point, I'm content to sit back and see how this plays out.

This.

GFS caved to the EURO a little later than most though.

Distortions of reality not withstanding.

Should be abut 8-12" of high ratio fluff out this way.

I thought you said you weren't getting anything over 8" no more than 24 hours ago?

After a morning low of -8F with a -16F dew, the temp and dew point have quickly rebounded this morning.

Temp up to 30.1 and dew up to +16 on a breezy south wind.

lol I know right, I am in your hood right now, flurries have commenced, the clouds rolling in off the ocean looked what happens in the summer prior to drenching stratiform rain.

Spitting tiny snow flakes in Scarborough, ME and the grocery store is a madhouse; everyone talking about the 'blizzard'.

If there's one preparation to make for this storm, it's getting a secondary heating source in order if you lose heat when power goes out.

I always find the grocery rush to be silly, people can get all the water they need from their tap, and most of us have enough food in the pantry to last plenty of time.

Euro essentially says that if you're south of the MA/NH border, enjoy the snow you get this afternoon because it's the only snow you're going to get. EMA/the Cape has some SN- after 7 PM, everyone else pretty much nothing. No 6 hour period at BOS has more than 0.15" QPF.

There's some decent snow from 12z-18z tomorrow.....

Archived