Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 17-18 Event

moneypitmike

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Norlun gets tossed around a lot here when an inverted trough is modeled, but in this case we can check all the boxes from the original research (if we approximate the T1 and T5 temps for 975 mb and 800 mb).

Still though, it could be anywhere from BHB to BVY and I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: this is for late Wednesday through Thursday.

I know Norlun gets tossed around a lot here when an inverted trough is modeled, but in this case we can check all the boxes from the original research (if we approximate the T1 and T5 temps for 975 mb and 800 mb).

Still though, it could be anywhere from BHB to BVY and I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: this is for late Wednesday through Thursday.

Yes, they often disappoint but when they line up perfectly for you they are damn fun. A lot of people despise them for their inconsistency

Here is a look at the ingredients coming together late Wednesday night (00z NAM run). If you just trust me that the boundary layer is near saturation and that modeling is nearly stationary with this inverted trough, the rest of the players overlap nicely along the Maine coast.

The big question is exactly where on the coast this is.

post-44-0-54511000-1424166450_thumb.png

Given the parameters that I'm seeing, the potential is there for a pretty significant snowfall, as long as the trough doesn't become too progressive. At the very least, even a mobile trough would provide the necessary ingredients for a brief intense burst of snow.

RGEM putting the NORLUN over the ME/NH border. NAM also father SW than other guidance.

Mesos FTW?

There is a really strong s/w that rounds the bend of the trough Thursday. Might get some snow either from weird developing lows like the euro has, or perhaps one of those mid level fronto bands swinging through.  It could also be just some flurries, but it looks interesting. Maybe PWM gets some revenge for getting porked last event.

Here is a look at the ingredients coming together late Wednesday night (00z NAM run). If you just trust me that the boundary layer is near saturation and that modeling is nearly stationary with this inverted trough, the rest of the players overlap nicely along the Maine coast.

NORLUN.png

Given the parameters that I'm seeing, the potential is there for a pretty significant snowfall, as long as the trough doesn't become too progressive. At the very least, even a mobile trough would provide the necessary ingredients for a brief intense burst of snow.

Great stuff and great forecast dilemma for your area. Models continue to look more threatening.

attachicon.gifNORLUN.png

Right over my house,but I won't get too excited yet

Do they ever come inland very far?

They do, but the most intense part is usually very close to the coast. Low level convergence is typically maxed there. And you can see there is higher instability over the water too (since the surface is warmer to begin with), which rapidly drops off as you head inland.

But we're talking the difference between what happened around York, ME (2 feet) versus what Brian got farther inland (1 foot) oftentimes.

This has that potential on the higher end, but it could also progressively swing up the coast and just sprinkle everyone with 2-3 inches.

Good stuff this morning. Major boom/bust potential from a "MBY" perspective, even if the forecast is accurate overall. It'd sure be nice to make up somewhat for what happened on Sunday, but we could just as easily end up with a couple fluffy inches and watch the death band rotate through or stall just a few miles from us.

Good stuff this morning. Major boom/bust potential from a "MBY" perspective, even if the forecast is accurate overall. It'd sure be nice to make up somewhat for what happened on Sunday, but we could just as easily end up with a couple fluffy inches and watch the death band rotate through or stall just a few miles from us.

Just as good a chance as being on the outside looking in on this one as well in just a few miles

Archived