joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 17-18 Event

moneypitmike

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuesday looks to me like 3-5 inches for Cape Cod and the islands, 1-3 inches rest of RI, e MA and fractional amounts CT, wMA and northern New England if any. Wed to Friday (thread needs title adjustment perhaps) then look more interesting in general, lots of activity and a general retrograde look to it all, as though the upper level trough may be about to shift west a few degrees, potential for 5-10 inches in many areas from these developments.

New RGEM says 0.2"-0.4", at best. NAM and GFS also went south.

IMO, only place that sees 2-4" from this in SNE will be Cape Cod. C-2" for most with 1-3" south coast is my final call.

That C is always so bothersome. A coating implies flurries which this is not. It's a steady daylong period of light snow..that given fluff and good snow growth will add up to a couple to few inches at least to the Pike and probably even north of it

The whole week looks like there are several chances of accumulating light snow events. Models don't necc. show it per say..but there are hints whether it's an INV or the ULL snow..or just weak east flow or even a coastal front. I'd bet we see snow on some or most of the days between Tues and Thurs in one fashion or another

That C is always so bothersome. A coating implies flurries which this is not. It's a steady daylong period of light snow..that given fluff and good snow growth will add up to a couple to few inches at least to the Pike and probably even north of it

A coating doesn't have to imply flurries...it could be like 0.4" or some measurable amount that is under an inch and 99% of people would view that as a coating.

A coating doesn't have to imply flurries...it could be like 0.4" or some measurable amount that is under an inch and 99% of people would view that as a coating.

I don't know..That C-2 always has bothered me. If all that is expected is a dusting..then let's just say all we expect is a light dusting. 2 inches is something that has to be shoveled and plowed off roads. There's a difference to me

I don't know..That C-2 always has bothered me. If all that is expected is a dusting..then let's just say all we expect is a light dusting. 2 inches is something that has to be shoveled and plowed off roads. There's a difference to me

You're getting into petty semantics...when people forecast 5-8", that is a larger range than C-2", yet nobody complains...just because 2" is asthetically much different looking than a coating doesn't mean it is supposed to be easier to forecast the difference between the two. It is still a narrow range.

You have dry air on the NW side, so you can't just say it's going to be 2" and no chance of a trace or very small accumulation.

Yes, there's a difference. Isn't that the purpose of a range, to allow for different outcomes, all realistically within the realm of probability?

You're getting into petty semantics...when people forecast 5-8", that is a larger range than C-2", yet nobody complains...just because 2" is asthetically much different looking than a coating doesn't mean it is supposed to be easier to forecast the difference between the two. It is still a narrow range.

You have dry air on the NW side, so you can't just say it's going to be 2" and no chance of a trace or very small accumulation.

I understand the dry air argument..But arctic air doesn;'t hold moisture and it seems to snow very easily when you have single digits and dews near 0.. I was just saying why I hate when I see C -2. C is nothing..2 inches is something DPW's and the public has to move around and treat..That's all

I understand the dry air argument..But arctic air doesn;'t hold moisture and it seems to snow very easily when you have single digits and dews near 0.. I was just saying why I hate when I see C -2. C is nothing..2 inches is something DPW's and the public has to move around and treat..That's all

It would be nice if we had the skill to always get it right when it's 0.3" vs 1.8"...but unfortunately we are not that skilled. We have to give ranges sometimes that end up overlapping stuff that might be plowable vs stuff that isn't.

I forecasted for DOT clients for 8 years...I know how it works with them.

It would be nice if we had the skill to always get it right when it's 0.3" vs 1.8"...but unfortunately we are not that skilled. We have to give ranges sometimes that end up overlapping stuff that might be plowable vs stuff that isn't.

I forecasted for DOT clients for 8 years...I know how it works with them.

Well the other issue..what do folks consider plowable? I mean typically DPW's will plow an inch snowfall. Where as a dusting they will salt  

Well the other issue..what do folks consider plowable? I mean typically DPW's will plow an inch snowfall. Where as a dusting they will salt  

All of my clients didn't plow until 2 inches. I suppose there are some that plow 1 inch, but that's pretty rare.

Archived