Newest Member
    joxey
February 17-18 Event

moneypitmike

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some tricks accompany deep Ulls we know that

Meh...I think if one were to go back and analyze the situation the other day it was more bad modeling than a surprise ULL.  I'll contend models are having many issues, some of which is due to the fact they're missing most of the key buoy data they once got from the gulf stream and shelf waters.   Each year we're losing more that aren't being replaced. 

any look on Euro's INV trough action Wed 

They never seem to work out, will have to wait and see.

Clinch there was nothing surprising about the ull. One would only be surprised if they hugged modeling too hard and didn't account for the fact the storm would pack surprise and require nowcasting.

If my forecast was .4 to .7/.8 with lolli's and banding on top...how did I "hug" the models?  Honest question.   Most of the time when the upper bound was .7 or .8...all models were under .5 aside of the crazy wrong GFS.

Where was your forecast for New Bedford to get 2 feet, or anyone elses?  Nobody had that, or close to that...anywhere...sorry.

Clinch there was nothing surprising about the ull. One would only be surprised if they hugged modeling too hard and didn't account for the fact the storm would pack surprise and require nowcasting.

Anybody who underestimated the power of a closed tight sub 500 vort max passing under us bailed and mehed to the end. Powerfully pedestrian, still getting blowing snow 24 hrs later

Anybody who underestimated the power of a closed tight sub 500 vort max passing under us bailed and mehed to the end. Powerfully pedestrian, still getting blowing snow 24 hrs later

Yeah but answer the above question honestly.  Maine was a bust so can't they argue the ULL failed to deliver? 

Winds were not what was predicted. We really didn't get close to hurricane gusts on the mainland.  Bust.  Western areas were low on snow, northern areas busted too.   I guess I'm still asking for the widespread busted on W.E....  There were no widespread outages, and we didn't get anywhere near the winds in the previous storm.  Not even close, winds really underperformed and probably 2/3 of the people in this forum in terms of region (western and northern) got the shaft.  

bERon9q.jpg

ML's were the key with regard to crushing areas that go it .

I was thrown off not as much by qpf , but SLP position on globals as Saturday modeling wore on. Look where the eye was at 12z sunday . Look where it was modeled to be on GFS , other globals at 12z . Not close. Maybe some meso's got it at 0z as will alluded to further SW MLC deepening on modeling that night

Anyway yeay nam

If my forecast was .4 to .7/.8 with lolli's and banding on top...how did I "hug" the models?  Honest question.   Most of the time when the upper bound was .7 or .8...all models were under .5 aside of the crazy wrong GFS.

Where was your forecast for New Bedford to get 2 feet, or anyone elses?  Nobody had that, or close to that...anywhere...sorry.

I didn't say you hugged the models

Yeah but answer the above question honestly. Maine was a bust so can't they argue the ULL failed to deliver?

Winds were not what was predicted. We really didn't get close to hurricane gusts on the mainland. Bust. Western areas were low on snow, northern areas busted too. I guess I'm still asking for the widespread busted on W.E.... There were no widespread outages, and we didn't get anywhere near the winds in the previous storm. Not even close, winds really underperformed and probably 2/3 of the people in this forum in terms of region (western and northern) got the shaft.

bERon9q.jpg

Maine interior busted because the ULL was further south, the East Maine areas had 18-28 inches. Pedestrian storms don't create 10-15 ft drifts,sorry if you didn't gust to 65 only 55. This storm was a beast,just ship me my Davis

I was thrown off not as much by qpf , but SLP position on globals as Saturday modeling wore on. Look where the eye was at 12z sunday . Look where it was modeled to be on GFS , other globals at 12z . Not close. Maybe some meso's got it at 0z as will alluded to further SW MLC deepening on modeling that night

Anyway yeay nam

True, but Im specifically referencing Jay's post.  There was a post by Will talking about a foot or more Worcester east which I said was reasonable given ratios.  Turns out it wasn't just ratio driven, but still.

Also turns out it does not appear any stations met the letter of the law blizzard conditions.  Although a couple did have near zero visibility for a time, most were AT 1/4 or better, the modern definition is lower than 1/4, not 1/4 or better.  In the NWS judgment the sensors or readings were unable to see true conditions even though they were able to register 0 at times, so 5 stations got nudged from almost blizzard to blizzard, based on the judgment that the readings were wrong.    Whatever....nice storm and nice topping on the snow cake.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BOX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

I'm just trying to better understand the perception vs reality.   Where specifically did I call off the storm or disagree with Will or anyone else on the foot plus?  My biggest gripe was with the blizzard conditions thing, and the GFS.  Based on what I'm reading above...I still think the blizzard thing is tenuous.   But who cares?

People (including me early on) sort of misunderstood clinch or he misunderstood our excitement for the storm. 

He did meh the storm. But I think he was talking specifically in terms of meeting blizzard criteria and absurd amounts compared to what we have seen in the past few weeks.

I guess if you ignore the snowpack and focus on the storm alone it wasn't historic, sure. But we can't do that. 

He was definitely poking fun at us hyping up the mid levels. But in the end it took the storm over the top into major category after the WAA ended. Without the boost we would have had an undeniably meh event. Instead we had thunder snow to cap it off in eastern mass.

People (including me early on) sort of misunderstood clinch or he misunderstood our excitement for the storm. 

He did meh the storm. But I think he was talking specifically in terms of meeting blizzard criteria and absurd amounts compared to what we have seen in the past few weeks.

I guess if you ignore the snowpack and focus on the storm alone it wasn't historic, sure. But we can't do that. 

He was definitely poking fun at us hyping up the mid levels. But in the end it took the storm over the top into major category after the WAA ended. Without the boost we would have had an undeniably meh event. Instead we had thunder snow to cap it off in eastern mass.

I was more poking fun because of the qpf queens stuff.  Everybody has their thing,  I never try to mock others in that regard.  I did have some fun this time and we can debate forever whether this storm met potential.  It WAS historic though, there's no doubt about that and I was definitely surprised by the intensity of both bands.  They were a little shorter in duration than I thought, but ultra intense.  It was a weird storm.

I pretty much hate the term QPF queens, probably like some hate mid level monkeys.  I think most everyone here understands the perils of each approach.   What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Jay there were some pretty ridiculous statements being made about the impact of this storm.  Heck some outlets were actually telling people to stockpile water like a hurricane was coming.  It always appeared to be a shorter duration, high velocity event.  The cold is biting and the wind deadly as a combo....but you won't find many people on the coast that'll say this held a candle wind wise to some other beasts because it didn't.  IMO it wasn't anywhere near the  BOF 2015.

I realized today my location stamp ois gone and will re-add that.   This will hopefully allow for a better understanding of the areas I'm speaking of. 

Anyway yeay nam

I think Tip on Sat. night showed the NAVGEM crushing us and it seemed to have the right placement of the SLP, fwiw.

I was more poking fun because of the qpf queens stuff.  Everybody has their thing,  I never try to mock others in that regard.  I did have some fun this time and we can debate forever whether this storm met potential.  It WAS historic though, there's no doubt about that and I was definitely surprised by the intensity of both bands.  They were a little shorter in duration than I thought, but ultra intense.  It was a weird storm.

I pretty much hate the term QPF queens, probably like some hate mid level monkeys.  I think most everyone here understands the perils of each approach.   What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Jay there were some pretty ridiculous statements being made about the impact of this storm.  Heck some outlets were actually telling people to stockpile water like a hurricane was coming.  It always appeared to be a shorter duration, high velocity event.  The cold is biting and the wind deadly as a combo....but you won't find many people on the coast that'll say this held a candle wind wise to some other beasts because it didn't.  IMO it wasn't anywhere near the  BOF 2015.

I realized today my location stamp ois gone and will re-add that.   This will hopefully allow for a better understanding of the areas I'm speaking of. 

After reading page after page of this dissertation, it occurs to me that you are being very defensive.

Archived