joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow being reported west of Philly. I think the virga isn't as big of an issue as some think and it's more a matter of the storm is simply too far south to greatly impact us, as it clouds over we will see DP's rise and with low temperatures the RH should rise quickly if temperatures can drop a few degrees (see what last night's RH was with -13 DP's)

Too far south and just too unphased, open and weak. Also just because dry air is losing out fairly easily further to the south doesn't mean that will be the case further north in latitude.

I was informed by a mod this morning

that i don't know what I am talking about...

so

I will just post images.....

NYC 4+

That's BS! I don't always agree with you but you put time and effort into your posts instead of I think such and such will happen as I myself am often guilty of.

The whole point of this forum is to get multiple inputs from multiple people.

I think Cpk reports 3" as long as the zoo keeper lays off the crack tonight.

I guarantee if February 10 didn't happen people wouldn't be freaking out. That was a completely different situation. That was a powerhouse storm!! Getting squeezed to hell in a mega -nao. Nothing like that this time

New HRRR falling more in line with the RGEM.....struggles to go over an inch in the NYC area, though I still think the 1-3" call should hold (naturally more southern areas). Just simply following what has seemed to work all winter (unfortunately).....Check the GFS/Euro/RGEM Canadian.....check the RAP/HRRR as you get closer.....make guess.....wait for the RGEM/HRRR to match up eventually for reassurance. In some cases, the HRRR might miss a heavier band or two of snow or not nail the exact location of it, but overall it's pretty reliable and if it doesn't pick up on something so close to the event, or show any signs whatsoever of changing, it's probably because it most likely will not happen as we'd like. Someone in the southern Delmarva is going to get a foot or so though

It appears that the pressure change map has a bad glitch today. I looked at the past 10 hours of observations and that pressure decrease has been continually centered over WV...no movement.

I tend to have more confidence in the SPC Meso plots, e.g. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16.

I've always liked the Unisys site tho. It's been an easy to access and navigate site for a long time.

Philly has been 50 miles east of radar soundings for almost 3 hours now lol, precip is hitting that dry air, same story up north

Lol every storm follows the same trends here. I wrote a list the other night to describe it. Right now we're in the "the precip is never coming"phase.....this will be followed by "it's starting to come in finally", then "actually there's a stronger band developing.....we might get 4-6" after all wow", and then finally "eh it weakened on approach and went south east.....still an inch or two from this storm though"..... "On to the next storm"

Ohhh the FUN!!!

Lol every storm follows the same trends here. I wrote a list the other night to describe it. Right now we're in the "the precip is never coming"phase.....this will be followed by "it's starting to come in finally", then "actually there's a stronger band developing.....we might get 4-6" after all wow", and then finally "eh it weakened on approach and went south east.....still an inch or two from this storm though"..... "On to the next storm"

Ohhh the FUN!!!

That's exactly what I went through during those winters that you guys and the DC/Philly gang were getting plastered. Just when it looked like it was coming, it would hit the proverbial brick wall.

That's exactly what I went through during those winters that you guys and the DC/Philly gang were getting plastered. Just when it looked like it was coming, it would hit the proverbial brick wall.

It's worse when philly gets 28.5" and we get a trace. But yeah some areas in PA take hard hits.

This is a very helpful quote to understanding what's been going on this winter. I mainly keep quiet and read what you guys have to say but just wanted to pop in and say thanks to you, Isentropic and others for keeping a cool head and sharing your expertise.

Hopefully we get lucky over the next 4 weeks or so - looks like there will be plenty of cold air available at least.

Thank you for the kind words

Say what you may, the 23z RAP has snow over Long Island for at least 8 hours...you figure it has to come down at least 1/4 inch an hour...so you would at least get 2 inches out of the deal at worst. 

DC is only getting 2-3"...I doubt it

That`s 10 to 1 . that 4 is 6 for them .  The call down there is 4 to 8 . Does not look that far off

Their AFD

STARTING WITH THE ISSUES WE ARE MOST CONFIDENT WITH...VERY COLD

AIRMASS REMAINS IN PLACE...DESPITE WARMING FROM YESTERDAYS TEMPS.

HIGHS WILL BARELY REACH THE 20S THIS AFTERNOON...AND OVERNIGHT LOWS

WILL HOVER IN THE TEENS. 850MB TEMPS THROUGH THE MAJORITY OF THE

EVENT WELL BELOW THE NORMALLY DESIRED THRESHOLD OF -7 DEGREES

CELSIUS SO CONFIDENT THE ENTIRE EVENT WILL BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW.

WITH SUCH A COLD AIRMASS...ALSO EXPECTING HIGHER SNOW RATIOS...WHICH

WILL BECOME A BIG PLAYER IN THE DETERMINATION OF SNOW TOTALS.

CURRENT FORECAST IS BASED UPON A 15:1 RATIO...BUT VERY WELL COULD

SEE EVEN UP TO 20:1 ALONG THE MASON-DIXON LINE. TO THE SOUTH ACROSS

SOUTHERN MD...COULD SEE SLIGHTLY LOWER RATIOS...MAYBE ONLY 12:1. THE

NEXT FACTOR TO LOOK AT IS THE TOTAL QPF.

Archived