Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple, if the phase had occured over the deep South this system would have come much further West. The Northern jet is left over the lakes and doesn't come through here until Wednesday while the southern jet is out East of the benchmark.

I should clarify I should never say IT CANT . I don`t think it does .

Any system that phases and NEG tilts west of the MISS usually cuts .All I am saying is I have seen the Euro do this 3 times so far in the mid range .

It cut the BLIZZARD in it`s day 8

It originally cut the IVT storm 6 days out and it cut todays system 6 days out .

I like the look of the GFS  NEG EPO induced patterns tends to send HP through the lakes and I think the Euro bias is to NEG tilt these to early .So if it`s POS tilted it goes underneath

Maybe the GFS will be wrong , which means I will be too . 

Though the SREFS plumes show 7-10" for most areas near here, the NCEP's probability of precip map tell a different story (again, I do not believe the SREFs one bit, as I've said, I just am wondering how they could be so off and add to the snow amounts while every other model cuts them drastically) :

73409dcfe60935abffaa5282574ffd1f.jpg

Nonsense.

Not to get into some extended debate on the topic but I did just see your reply and wanted to comment.  The Law of Averages, luck or random chance, and the idea of things evening out are very significant factors in how things come together in the universe...note the snowless 70's & 80's in this region...after those years, would it seem reasonable to anticipate the avalanche of snow the region has seen in the last decade and a half?  Things even out over time...that's what climatology is...a series of deviations from the mean...but over time...the mean is generally satisfied & fulfilled.

When I went for a rather small amount of snow for NYC this season, the verbiage in my commentary gave a nod to this concept; i.e. that the city had been amazingly lucky for many years in a row, snow wise, and, eventually that luck would have to run out.  Who would not agree that there have been an exceptional number of chances for NYC to cash in on some big snows this winter...but they simply have been quite unlucky...it is not as if it was a warm & dry winter...and nearby Boston has seen practically 100 inches of snow already.

I have to say that the WV loop certainly doesn't look like this is going to be squashed

wv-animated.gif

Colder cloud tops starting to advect into Western PA and SW NY

avn-animated.gif

Yeah, it really doesn't.....I'll say that I don't think the DC area really busts too bad.....i think they do ok.....even further north, but once past the philly area, or just south, is where I feel it'll have a hard time coming down hard and will be squashed

Not to get into some extended debate on the topic but I did just see your reply and wanted to comment. The Law of Averages, luck or random chance, and the idea of things evening out are very significant factors in how things come together in the universe...note the snowless 70's & 80's in this region...after those years, would it seem reasonable to anticipate the avalanche of snow the region has seen in the last decade and a half? Things even out over time...that's what climatology is...a series of deviations from the mean...but over time...the mean is generally satisfied & fulfilled.

When I went for a rather small amount of snow for NYC this season, the verbiage in my commentary gave a nod to this concept; i.e. that the city had been amazingly lucky for many years in a row, snow wise, and, eventually that luck would have to run out. Who would not agree that there have been an exceptional number of chances for NYC to cash in on some big snows this winter...but they simply have been quite unlucky...it is not as if it was a warm & dry winter...and nearby Boston has seen practically 100 inches of snow already.

No offense, but that's not how probability works. The law of averages is a real phenomenon but does not apply to individual instances.

See RUs excellent explanation back in the thread. And I'm a professional data scientist so hopefully that carries some weight.

And I'm a professional data scientist so hopefully that carries some weight.

It does carry great weight.  What elements of my post are in error?

It does carry great weight. What elements of my post are in error?

Obviously there are intricacies of the weather that make one event to another not entirely independent (eg the pattern has established itself to hit BOS harder than nyc).

But the idea of something being "due" is a mirage and a function of our tendency as people to find patterns where they may not exist.

Like if someone is a career 270 hitter over a large sample and is hitting 240 at the all star break... He is not likely to hit 300 the second half (ie due to get hot) to meet the average... The likelihood he'll get a hit his next time at bat is 27%, not higher because he's underperforming.

I'm shopping for my infant but can elaborate further later.

UPTON

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM TUESDAY/...
A FAST MOVING SOUTHERN BRANCH LOW WILL BE PICKED UP BY AN
AMPLIFYING NORTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE...SENDING THE SYSTEM
ACROSS THE TN VALLEY TONIGHT AND THEN OFF THE MID ATLANTIC
COAST TUE MORNING. MODELS HAVE BEEN WAVERING WITH THE NORTHERN
EXTENT OF THE LOW TRACK THE LAST WEEK...BUT THE 00Z GUIDANCE
APPEARS TO HAVE LOCKED ON TO A LOW TRACK SOUTH AND EAST OF THE
BENCHMARK 40N...70W ON TUE. THIS LOOKS TO KEEP THE FORECAST AREA
ON THE NORTHERN PERIPHERY OF THE PCPN SHIED WITH LIQUID AMOUNTS
RANGING FROM A TENTH INLAND TO AROUND A QUARTER INCH AT THE COAST.
MODEL SOUNDINGS SUPPORT GOOD SNOW GROWTH WITH HIGH SNOW RATIOS.
USING A 15 TO 1 RATIO...
ADVISORY LEVEL SNOWS ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS
MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA...WITH AMOUNTS OF 4 INCHES NEAR THE
COAST...

Now you just need  .25

Obviously there are intricacies of the weather that make one event to another not entirely independent (eg the pattern has established itself to hit BOS harder than nyc).

But the idea of something being "due" is a mirage and a function of our tendency as people to find patterns where they may not exist.

Like if someone is a career 270 hitter over a large sample and is hitting 240 at the all star break... He is not likely to hit 300 the second half (ie due to get hot) to meet the average... The likelihood he'll get a hit his next time at bat is 27%, not higher because he's underperforming.

I'm shopping for my infant but can elaborate further later.

Given your educational background, I have little doubt you have a good deal more insight into the topic than I have...but I don't really feel that the above post makes your case or debunks mine.  I understand you are busy; you certainly can follow up later.

As for the allusion to baseball...I am reminded of the coach who would always say..."you can be hitting .300 at the All Star Break...but if you are a .260 hitter...that is what you will be batting come the end of the year"...i.e. testimony to the concept of the Law of Averages and things evening out over the course of time...everything "reaching its level"...as one would say colloquially. 

Not to get into some extended debate on the topic but I did just see your reply and wanted to comment. The Law of Averages, luck or random chance, and the idea of things evening out are very significant factors in how things come together in the universe...note the snowless 70's & 80's in this region...after those years, would it seem reasonable to anticipate the avalanche of snow the region has seen in the last decade and a half? Things even out over time...that's what climatology is...a series of deviations from the mean...but over time...the mean is generally satisfied & fulfilled.

When I went for a rather small amount of snow for NYC this season, the verbiage in my commentary gave a nod to this concept; i.e. that the city had been amazingly lucky for many years in a row, snow wise, and, eventually that luck would have to run out. Who would not agree that there have been an exceptional number of chances for NYC to cash in on some big snows this winter...but they simply have been quite unlucky...it is not as if it was a warm & dry winter...and nearby Boston has seen practically 100 inches of snow already.

Great post !! It's funny that with all of the studies of the pattern leading up to winter and the positive trends we saw early on translated to a very wintry pattern but not necessarily a very snow one for certain areas.....and a VERY, VERY snowy one for others. Simple facts like you mentioned, such as things evening out over time, are constant....."the change is unchanged".....and although almost everyone predicted a very snowy winter for NYC area (myself included), it's funny that NYC will end up having a frigid winter and an average snow winter but not necessarily very snowy. As you also said, there have been a LOT of storms that could have all dumped on NYC, didn't. They could have spares Boston, but didn't. And last year, the opposite. Interesting how it works out.

As a side note.....as our snowy period began, and as I've spoken of, I started making my amateur-ish snow "forecasts/calls" primarily based on just using what is in front of me (certain models).....without all of the weather knowledge that so many of you have (I know the basics and enough to get by with the terminology, but really just a fraction of what many of you do).....my calls have been very good. I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back, but my point is that many times even pro forecasters and meteorologists really overanalyze things and look at the impressive dynamics and setup and not necessarily how it will directly impact our areas with snow. Models have been bad with these northern stream systems, yes, but not all terrible and some even fairly good. Stuff to think about.....

Archived