Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, most models have it around 1000mb early tomorrow morning, not the strongest low pressure system to ever hit the area. But it looks to have a direct moisture feed from the Gulf and the precip shield is quite large currently.

That's the problem here folks. It's a weak sauce open unphased low pressure area and there's no useful -NAO blocking to stop it from scooting to the south and east out to sea before it can make any significant turn north and west of current modeling. 1-2 inches north of Route 78 is generous at this point.

That's the problem here folks. It's a weak sauce open unphased low pressure area and there's no useful -NAO blocking to stop it from scooting to the south and east out to sea before it can make any significant turn north and west of current modeling. 1-2 inches north of Route 78 is generous at this point.

Our problem this whole winter (past four weeks) ... No blocking and the split flow over the Pacific as the storms enter Canada and the lower 48. The energy splits as it hits the lower 48 and without blocking, it has no time to consolidate. If we didn't have a split flow or a +NAO, we could have had a better winter, but with both of these against us, even threading the needle is incredibly hard.

Well the low pressure from the big storm off the maritime is acting as a 50/50 block this is why it's slowing it down and eventually it should churn it north east ward

It will head NE (ENE), but it is not a powerhouse area of low pressure, it is way too far from us and does not have an expansive precip shield whatsoever.....Add all of the other issues into the mix and there's really no way that we see big snows from this. This time, it WILL snow for many of us, but most of us should all fall into that 1-3" range (less N and W).....The 3-4/4-6/6+ amounts will not be as far south as some people are thinking (especially the 3-4), however they almost definitely will remain south of our areas (NENJ/NYC/most of LI)

Our problem this whole winter (past four weeks) ... No blocking and the split flow over the Pacific as the storms enter Canada and the lower 48. The energy splits as it hits the lower 48 and without blocking, it has no time to consolidate. If we didn't have a split flow or a +NAO, we could have had a better winter, but with both of these against us, even threading the needle is incredibly hard.

This is a very helpful quote to understanding what's been going on this winter.  I mainly keep quiet and read what you guys have to say but just wanted to pop in and say thanks to you, Isentropic and others for keeping a cool head and sharing your expertise.

Hopefully we get lucky over the next 4 weeks or so - looks like there will be plenty of cold air available at least.

Between I-78 and I-80 will most likely be the cutoff point between flurries and light accumulating snowfall. Will be very surprised if this reaches any further north than I-80 in north Jersey honestly. Seen this setup before...Beware of the brick wall.

So based on this comment i assume Clifton NJ is a miss for us....?

3 hour pressure change map. Anyone hazard a guess as to why the pressure is falling so rapidly in WV? To my eyes, this is encouraging.

I would hazard a guess that may be based on a surface station report which is in error. That is most definitely incorrect, at least with the value.

Snow being reported west of Philly. I think the virga isn't as big of an issue as some think and it's more a matter of the storm is simply too far south to greatly impact us, as it clouds over we will see DP's rise and with low temperatures the RH should rise quickly if temperatures can drop a few degrees (see what last night's RH was with -13 DP's)

Archived