joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowathon Obs/ Nowcast 02/07-02/09

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? How much snow is on the roof? How old is the house?

It's not the age (built in '82), it's more likely the undersized roof joists, 2x4 wall construction. I first noticed cracks back in 2011, but since then had those cracks filled and re-painted. I'll edit this post with a photo (as soon as it is sent from my phone to my email).

As for the roof load, it's highly variable. Some drifts are probably closing in on 4', but I have more areas that are only a couple inches. Overall, I'd say it's probably 2' average. Still it's a decent water content, maybe 15-20 #/s.f, but that's only a guess.

post-1709-0-93984700-1423531257_thumb.jp

It's not the age (built in '82), it's more likely the undersized roof joists, 2x4 wall construction. I first noticed cracks back in 2011, but since then had those cracks filled and re-painted. I'll edit this post with a photo (as soon as it is sent from my phone to my email).

As for the roof load, it's highly variable. Some drifts are probably closing in on 4', but I have more areas that are only a couple inches. Overall, I'd say it's probably 2' average. Still it's a decent water content, maybe 15-20 #/s.f, but that's only a guess.

Is it a flat roof? Most of ours are gable pitch and don't have more than a few inches on them. I've got some places where different roofs meet that need attention. But our house is new - 2x6 - so my only concern is ice damns - which I doubt will be an issue soon.

I was thinking the same thing.  That's pretty scary if the cracks have appeared all of a sudden.

It's only one wall and it's where the second floor bathroom, mater bed closed overhangs. I'm not really worried. I see it more of an annoyance as I believe the original builder probably did not have the house designed to meet snow loads for this part of the country. 

Have no idea of my official depths up here, but the storm last week lost me on the numbers. This storm has been more gentle.

Just saw BOS at around 75" now. Anyone have any numbers for Lowell, let alone Dracut Or anywhere else in the Merrimac Valley?

I believe we are around 76-77" over the past 16-17 days. But I believe I am only in the 36" OTG range give or take a couple.

Is it a flat roof? Most of ours are gable pitch and don't have more than a few inches on them. I've got some places where different roofs meet that need attention. But our house is new - 2x6 - so my only concern is ice damns - which I doubt will be an issue soon.

7 pitch contemporary with open concept. I believe they undersized the roof joists (I think they are 2 x 8 over a 16' span). Seems small to me, of course the walls are only 2 x 4 so that doesn't help much either.

Snowin pretty dang good here in Andover

Was just about to say the same thing.  Reading all of these post-mortems, and I'm looking out the window, and we've still got pretty strong moderate snow pouring down.  Seems like every storm this year just lasts a few hours longer than you think, and tacks on a few more inches in the process.  

Archived