Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sub Zero Weather - Looks like potential has waned

Bostonseminole

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it would cause lots of misery I would love to see it verify.  Has Boston ever had a high temp below zero?  Probably back in 34.  Its a week out and the models can't trend colder, if I were to guess it will be very cold but not what the models are currently showing.

On a couple separate occasions this winter, since the pattern evolved back to more -EPO like, the models predicted D7 historic cold... only once did one verify, and it was a mere 18 hour glancing blow of single digits and wind.  

It's really more of testament of modeling extremeness early, and then having to wait days and dodging perturbation to get it realized -- very lucky if a long lead uber anomaly ever comes to pass. So yeah, if you're a better .. you'd be stupid not to go with the under this far out.

Although it would cause lots of misery I would love to see it verify.  Has Boston ever had a high temp below zero?  Probably back in 34.  Its a week out and the models can't trend colder, if I were to guess it will be very cold but not what the models are currently showing.

Boston's lowest maximum temperature (since 1872) is 2°, which was set on December 30, 1917.

The 2/6/2015 6z GFS forecast a temperature of -29.0°C (-20°F) for Boston on 2/14. To put things into perspective, Boston's all-time record low temperature is -18°, which was set on February 9, 1934. Moreover, such a temperature would be just over 4.7σ below the 1981-2010 mean temperature for the 2/13-15 timeframe. Such an outcome, assuming temperatures are normally distributed over the long-term, would be a 1-in-1,000 year event.

Either the GFS is off or an extraordinary event is poised to unfold. Odds strongly favor the former, though the air mass could well be the coldest of the winter and possibly for a number of winters.

On Feb. 15, 1943, Boston had a daily mean of -4, on 6/-14.  Norms were colder then, but how many SDs would that invoke?

That all time low beat out, by one degree, the mark set about 6 weeks earleir.  Cold winter!  Also kind of cool (pun intended) that two of Boston's three coldest days were on 12/30, 16 yr apart.

Just looked at that GFS map.   -39F for Portland Maine.  I just can't see that kind of cold

They've done it before, the morning after the above Boston frigidity.  Probably the lowest temp for a coastal location (site was at the AP, about 100 yards from saltwater) in the US until one gets north of the Aleutian Peninsula.  On 2/15/43 PWM's daily mean was -17, with -2/-32, probably more than 40F BN.  (16th was a whole degree "warmer", with 7/-39.)

This winter, the GFS seems to print out ridiculously cold lows every run, even in the very short range (yesterday's 18z run valid this morning, for example). I would think that's a product of the enhanced resolution running wild with localized thermal variations, but maybe I just didn't pay enough attention before the upgrade.

This winter, the GFS seems to print out ridiculously cold lows every run, even in the very short range (yesterday's 18z run valid this morning, for example). I would think that's a product of the enhanced resolution running wild with localized thermal variations, but maybe I just didn't pay enough attention before the upgrade.

euros colder at 850 than the GFS

euros colder at 850 than the GFS

Indeed, enough to break at least a few all-time 850 mb temp records if taken literally. There's a lot of discussion across the web about surface/2m temp maps for the period in question, and it just seems a little bit like poring over model snowfall maps that you know to be ridiculous. Would certainly be great to experience that kind of cold, though

FWIW, the lowest afternoon temperature I could find for Boston was -5° on February 6, 1855. However, readings were only taken at 7 am, 2: 30 pm, and 9 pm. The 2/5 9 pm temperature was listed as 10.5°. The 2/6 7 am temperature was -6°.

I hope we can find a way to -7 during GW era then... Just to add to the nay-sayer mystique and ensure we are that much closer to self-imposed dystopia

IIRC awhile ago someone posted obs for BOS during the afternoon with sub-zero temps, but there was a midnight high that day above zero. I think it was either in 1917 or early 1930s .. perhaps on 12/30

IIRC, Christmas 1980 had an afternoon high right around zero in Boston after a -7 morning (with strong wind), but the 12:01 AM temp had been much higher.

Archived