Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sub Zero Weather - Looks like potential has waned

Bostonseminole

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a forecast high for 9 at BDL on Friday. Would be the first high <10 in a decade, and 10th one since 1980. As far as those ridiculous lows, bet the house against it. Minus teens to the CT shore? Nice try. I'll give you +10 and still take the over.

This airmass is off the charts cold. They will go below 10 as modeled.

idk...I think widespread -40s in SNE looks legit.

of course that is obscene and likely wrong.  But if that model is showing wide spread 25-45 below zero temps we may in reality see widespread 10-30 below.  That would be devastating.  All the peach crop in New England would be lost, and probably a lot of the trees.  I love extremes, but I love my fresh peaches more...

of course that is obscene and likely wrong.  But if that model is showing wide spread 25-45 below zero temps we may in reality see widespread 10-30 below.  That would be devastating.  All the peach crop in New England would be lost, and probably a lot of the trees.  I love extremes, but I love my fresh peaches more...

Peaches come from a can

They were put there by a man

Well it got to -2 here last night so -34 seems plausible

Not.

Caught that graphic 3 hours ago on wxbell when I was checking out the long range cold on the GFS and EC. I debated sharing it on social media because it seemed so absurd. Then I thought to myself, this is stupid, if anyone else did the same I would think they are just trying to incite panic and spread rumors.

This airmass is off the charts cold. They will go below 10 as modeled.

Will it rival Jan '04? For 9 out of 10 modeled extreme cold mornings, I will show you a persistent 5kt wind that ruined it. Sun, moon, and stars have to line up just to get -10 at the CT shore as in Jan '04, never mind approaching -15 or -20. Take the points and run.

Not outrageous, has - 30F 850's over my head.  I was -14F yesterday morning and much of the Pioneer Valley was double digits below zero so a -20F at the surface wouldn't shock. 

Yeah, but models don't detect 2m temps from radiational cooling well. You may have been -14F, but there's no way the 2m temps were close to that cold.

Rad cooling with that high and 850s of -30C would be near all-time record breaking for you.

There were a couple of other occasions earlier in mid January, when this pattern was just getting sniffed out by the operationals ...tele's and so forth, where D7-11 cold anomalies were extreme, then, too, back off ...ultimately verifying as 12 to 18 hour transient single digit stuff.  That's certainly cold... But I am just wondering if that behavior in the runs -vs- verification, is in itself, a notable trend/bias that lends to suspect these crazy numbers.... ? 

Something to consider.

Having said that, this particular vodka is the modeled-strongest cold insertion yet; maybe take a blend of seasonal bias to back off with this.  I dunno.. I just find it hard to believe it can be that cold at this latitude, approaching the ides of February, where I have seen 60F in full sun  with 0C at 850mb because the sun, yes, ...gets that strong heading forward.   It'll be interesting ... and we do have the mammoth snow pack to certainly assist in local cryosphere

Archived