• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

Question... Why the qpf max in Berks.. Is that all orographic?

Yes.  The difference between like your area and the east slope is upslope.  You can see it again back towards ALB on the east slopes of the Catskills.  Also the speed convergence

As we've stated, the low level cold will enhance a low level inversion with WAA above that, and with veering in the profile, the best enhancement will certainly be on those east slopes, and wherever the coastal front is. 

The overrunning will produce a more general, widespread precipitation out of the mid-level cloud deck, but the ENE upslope flow will really take it to town with seeder feeder processes as that mid level precip falls into the low level orographics. Even up here, as you move north and out of the best mid-level overrunning, there's still fairly significant precipitation along the Spines and ridges due to orographics.  But the mid-level lift is weaker, which is why the Hudson Valley to Champlain Valley sees decreasing precip as you move north.

There's also the speed convergence and coastal front enhancement in eastern Mass as that faster moving air off the ocean starts to pile up and lift along the coastal plain like a big highway pile up, as it encounters land friction.  Lots of meso-scale stuff going on. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF ole Pony O was around, he is gonna see nice enhancement on the E Slope

I think MPM if we really want to look at it will be a bit too far east to get in the meat of that E slope enhancement....he is not that far from 1-91 (I think like 8 miles west of greenfield/I 91)

Besides the local posters you are one of the few that recognizes MPM is the far E slope of the Berks. Savoy the jackpot king of the Berks is 20mi W of Shelburne. Pete's location is well SW of here and is like the Worcester of the E slope because it rarely misses. lol

IF ole Pony O was around, he is gonna see nice enhancement on the E Slope

I think MPM if we really want to look at it will be a bit too far east to get in the meat of that E slope enhancement....he is not that far from 1-91 (I think like 8 miles west of greenfield/I 91)

He is around, You just need to know how to find him

Besides the local posters you are one of the few that recognizes MPM is the far E slope of the Berks. Savoy the jackpot king of the Berks is 20mi W of Shelburne. Pete's location is well SW of here and is like the Worcester of the E slope because it rarely misses. lol

Yeah, I'm 10 miles east of the Beast.

And it's crazy how it's only 10 miles to being 1800-2k in Heath and Colrain.  completely different worlds.

Thanks For those stats

Don, any stats where with a cut off half way into Jan or like the 20'th , I think Boston had 7 or so thru Jan 23'rd or so

Which makes this come back even MORE impressive since it happened all within 2 weeks

Statistics based on 10/1-1/20 snowfall. 2014-15 had 5.5". The following are all the seasons with less than 6" snowfall from 10/1 through 1/20 in Boston:

Boston02072015.jpg

Wow, MPM is 20 miles east of the Berkshire crest?  I didn't know that.  That's more than the difference between Burlington and the summit of Mount Mansfield.

Wow, MPM is 20 miles east of the Berkshire crest?  I didn't know that.  That's more than the difference between Burlington and the summit of Mount Mansfield.

He is in a great location with some decent elevation but certainly misses some of those E NY/ Berks deform zones that people assume he is getting crushed by. Pete's location further SW and topography cashes in on events that graze us to the E. Misconceptions abound about W MA because most people assume nothing really exists W of Worcester anyway.

Archived