SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be nice but tossed. This is looking more and more meso enhancement dependent. High terrain and CF areas will do well. There's just not enough synoptic forcing for my area. I'm leaning under the GYX totals...more like 8-10".

Yeah, I hear that.  I do like the ESE flow up here, albeit light, that can usually help along the east slope of the Spine.  I was never on the huge storm train, just a nice 2-4"/3-5" for a couple days up here. 

I'm sort of with you, and Tip in a way that the synoptic forcing seems so weak to produce these prolific widespread totals when you see these forecast maps with 2/3rds of New England in 12"+ like from the media.  Could be a lot more spot totals of 12"+ amid a more general 4-10" totals.  

Ratios will be the kicker though.  Half inch of QPF that produces 13" of snow would certainly help everyone's cause. 

This system now has huge bust potential with those inflated snow totals.

If it happens ... awesome, and we'll peer back at the data in hindsight and it will be all fun to pick it apart and put it back to together...etc.

But it's easier to fail 18" than it is to achieve that... much less 24", both of which strain climatology. Try really hard to come down out of the psychotropic head rush that's fevered the forum since last night, and think about this in a conservative approach. Those snow totals ...gosh, just estimating they must be on the order of +3 SD, and would be the third time inside of 2-weeks at that!

I guess to be honest, that ending statement means less to me. Usually when I hear others defend a position with that sort of reasoning, I immediately think, "...Until it happens; you can't limit the possibility just because it hasn't happened before in a previous sample set..." There were some spectacular winters in the 1800's... 1717, wasn't that the year of the big snow and the 5' snow pack? I also saw a 15' snow pack in interior NS in photographs taken as recently as 2001 or so. Maybe this is one of those years.

Just not sure this is one of those storms... The trough is weak... The low deepens but swings wide right on all the guidance I have seen. All we have is overrunning, super-imposed on some OE enhancement. Perhaps those two collocated events will push totals up; and of course, LE does huge totals too, so borrowing from other knowledge/experiences ... I'm not sure I see objectively why 12-18" occurs all the way up Rt 2 west of 495.

I dunno, I'm preparing for the under at this point, and will be pleasantly surprised if more materializes.

Well, we shall see. But lets keep in mind that that possibility might play out that it ends very much like the NYC scenario during the "blizzard" two weeks ago. We should temper our expectations, particularly as it affects human freedom. If one is inclined to believe that 2 feet might fall within a particular area, and that one suggests freedom-inhibiting proposals vis-a-vis road closures, curfews, and so forth, it is better to err on human freedom, with the assumption that the individual is talented with self-preservation upon HIS empirical experience; no freedom should be denied based on a "forecast." The often arrogance of newscasters necessarily sullies the right of the individual to make his own choices. The FACT that we rely so much on "others" to guide our actions is a direct relation to ho much of our own freedom we decide to hand them.

Well, we shall see. But lets keep in mind that that possibility might play out that it ends very much like the NYC scenario during the "blizzard" two weeks ago. We should temper our expectations, particularly as it affects human freedom. If one is inclined to believe that 2 feet might fall within a particular area, and that one suggests freedom-inhibiting proposals vis-a-vis road closures, curfews, and so forth, it is better to err on human freedom, with the assumption that the individual is talented with self-preservation upon HIS empirical experience; no freedom should be denied based on a "forecast." The often arrogance of newscasters necessarily sullies the right of the individual to make his own choices. The FACT that we rely so much on "others" to guide our actions is a direct relation to ho much of our own freedom we decide to hand them.

Is this satire?

But for NYC, only Euro was showing  a hit. We were already prepared for the bust here. We weren't as excited as you guys are. But this storm does have Major bust potential.

I think the bust potential is for this storm to come southward more than anticipated, not northward.  So those 18-24" amounts could actually end up in the BOS area with the south shore seeing 6-12" instead of 3-6"

I honestly think the the JP will be around and south of BOS. This is trending South. But its weather so anything could happen :)

Actually no. But enjoy 8-12. I'll enjoy 12-18

There was a time on Eastern when we all were celebrating and having fun at the prospects of snowstorms, riding busses, having sermons, tossing them high and wide, don"t understand the competition aspect. Whats great this year is however caution flags keep getting picked up and Debbies are in the closet with their dolls.

But for NYC, only Euro was showing a hit. We were already prepared for the bust here. We weren't as excited as you guys are. But this storm does have Major bust potential.

Yes, it's either meaningless jibberish or it's true by definition. But what we get is somewhere in between. And because of that, we need to relax and follow experience as it happens.

Archived