Newest Member
    joxey
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice.  Hope he gets nailed. 

I think topography will play a bigger role than normal without the deeper synoptic lift.  Or at least enhance the seeder feeder processes...from up here all the way down there.

The flow looks pretty blocked with a good deal of veering in the lower level soundings and what will likely be a stout inversion with surface cold air locked in with warming above.  You'll get moist maritime air coming off the Atlantic but gets stuck below the inversion and wrung out from low level terrain and boundary locations.

That set up is one that screams meso-scale nuances like coastal fronts and topography. 

"weenie ridge" in Princeton . E slope of Wa Wa looks primed in "ORH county hills" that area that juts up to about 1400' on mountain road facing East looks good.

Depending on location of CF , Blue hills could be absolutely EPIC with CF enhancement and "upslope"

This general 12-24" should cover it....just nw of that cf induced convergence will get the 12" that measures 8".

Fascinating to watch, yet nerve wracking.

The totals with this will be all over the place depending on how and when it's measured. These are 3-4 day totals, so all the forecasts could say something like 12-24" storm totals, but if you don't shovel till Tuesday morning, expect 8-15" in your driveway.

Stakes are higher here than usual, though.

i'm sure you wouldn't care if you measured 8", while friends 7 miles aways measured over 20". :lol:

Models are very consistent for at least 10" for me. Whatever comes on top of that is a bonus in my book. All this long duration event is doing is shoring up the pack to at least 20" before the next big one for my area. This stuff will settle so even if you get 2' you might only gain like at most 8" to the pack because it will come out to be 15 to 1 fluff at least maybe more. 

Well, you know where you stand up there......it's all terrain driven.

Yeah that's very true... but sounds like you have a good idea of your local climo and the meso-scale there.  Its all about expectations, but forecasts don't always come true.  Like those nights I expect the west slope to get bombed and it ends up over here on the east.  If that coastal front is further west, you're golden. 

But I agree, forecast with what you know and if a surprise happens, its a pleasant surprise.

From BOX's Winter Storm Warning:

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...12 TO 18 INCHES THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT. A LOCALIZED BAND OF 18 TO 24 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE NEAR THE BOSTON...TO BEDFORD...TO BEVERLY AND LAWRENCE CORRIDORS IN NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT.

Boston's comeback is nothing short of extraordinary. Boston's October-December snowfall was just 2.9".

Previously, the snowiest winter when Boston < 3" snowfall during the October-December period was winter 1891-92 when 46.8".

To increase the sample size, the snowiest winters when < 4" snow fell during October-December were:

1919-20 73.4"

1892-93 66.0"

2012-13 63.4"

The snowiest winters when < 6" snow fell during October-December were:

1977-78 85.1"

1919-20 73.4"

1892-93 66.0"

From BOX's Winter Storm Warning:

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...12 TO 18 INCHES THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT. A LOCALIZED BAND OF 18 TO 24 INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE NEAR THE BOSTON...TO BEDFORD...TO BEVERLY AND LAWRENCE CORRIDORS IN NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS THROUGH LATE MONDAY NIGHT.

Boston's comeback is nothing short of extraordinary. Boston's October-December snowfall was just 2.9".

Previously, the snowiest winter when Boston < 3" snowfall during the October-December period was winter 1891-92 when 46.8".

To increase the sample size, the snowiest winters when < 4" snow fell during October-December were:

1919-20 73.4"

1892-93 66.0"

2012-13 63.4"

The snowiest winters when < 6" snow fell during October-December were:

1977-78 85.1"

1919-20 73.4"

1892-93 66.0"

Thanks For those stats

Don, any stats where with a cut off half way into Jan or like the 20'th , I think Boston had 7 or so thru Jan 23'rd or so

Which makes this come back even MORE impressive since it happened all within 2 weeks

Someone just nw of it really going to get porked.

These events that don't have a great deal of mid level lift always do that.

i'm right on the line, I don't care how many times the GFS jacks me.

That will be me. Too far northwest. Subsidence city.

IF ole Pony O was around, he is gonna see nice enhancement on the E Slope

I think MPM if we really want to look at it will be a bit too far east to get in the meat of that E slope enhancement....he is not that far from 1-91 (I think like 8 miles west of greenfield/I 91)

Yeah--I'm in the 1.5" color.  Pete gets rocked on that depiction.

Archived