• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

I'm confused then. How far from the Berkshire crest are you...ie when does water start flowing west and not east into the CT River Valley?

Great question.  We're in the Deerfield watershed here, which starts up by Stratton and runs into the CT down in Deerfield, MA. Here's the description listed in Wikipedia (which has as much credibility as a NAM run). 

Geologically, the Berkshires are bordered on the west by the Taconic Mountains, the marble valleys of the Hoosic River and Housatonic River and, further south, by the Hudson Highlands; to the east, they are bordered by the Metacomet Ridge geology. They are on the average 1,000 ft (300 m) lower and less prominent than the Green Mountains of Vermont, and form a broad, dissected plateau punctuated by hills and peaks and cut by river valleys. The Berkshires topography gradually diminishes in profile and elevation from west to east and from north to south, except where rivers have cut deep gorges and sharp bluff faces into the Berkshire plateau

While I no doubt have benefits with my location, The real east slope enhancement really kicks in about 10 miles west of here, five miles north of here, and 8 miles SW of here.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think nervous is the right word. But I know what you mean. I'll reiterate what Tip, Max (?), myself and perhaps others have said--official accumulations may well be significantly higher than post storm totals on the ground due to the nature and duration of the event.

20.7/19

The totals will be interesting...depending on measuring. John Q. Public might have brushed a total of 18" off his car in 3 days but his un-shoveled back deck has 12" on it on Tuesday morning.

Also I think the public is downright confused on the duration of the system and snowfall. I'm seeing FB posts from friends in Boston saying "we are getting 2 feet tomorrow, I can't travel at all". No you may get 2 feet by Tuesday. Like 3 days away.

Most folks seem to think this is going to come all at once with 2-3"/hr and the blizzard like rates, from what I can tell on social media.

Probably not lol but I wouldn't be surprised if we see sand falling from the sky for some. I could be wrong but I don't see how we rip dendrites with -4 microbars/s of omega and 70-80% RH in the DGZ.

One way is that the marine nature of ice nuclei around here often allows us to produce dendrites at temperatures warmer than normal.

Great question. Here's the description listed in Wikipedia (which has as much credibility as a NAM run).

Geologically, the Berkshires are bordered on the west by the Taconic Mountains, the marble valleys of the Hoosic River and Housatonic River and, further south, by the Hudson Highlands; to the east, they are bordered by the Metacomet Ridge geology. They are on the average 1,000 ft (300 m) lower and less prominent than the Green Mountains of Vermont, and form a broad, dissected plateau punctuated by hills and peaks and cut by river valleys. The Berkshires topography gradually diminishes in profile and elevation from west to east and from north to south, except where rivers have cut deep gorges and sharp bluff faces into the Berkshire plateau

While I no doubt have benefits with my location, The real east slope enhancement really kicks in about 10 miles west of here, five miles north of here, and 8 miles SW of here.

Interesting stuff, good to know.

Once it gets going, and going, and going, I doubt many people will have a hard time recognizing it as slow attrition....the banks will build up, more things will disappear under the blanket of white... travel will be possible but risky in places like ORH and BOX where well over two feet (closer to three in my neighborhood) covers the ground.... the scariest places will be coming out of side roads onto snow covered roadways in steady light to moderate snow. If anything, the lack of extreme rates will cause more people to come out and therefore there will be a whole lot of fender benders....

Besides the local posters you are one of the few that recognizes MPM is the far E slope of the Berks. Savoy the jackpot king of the Berks is 20mi W of Shelburne. Pete's location is well SW of here and is like the Worcester of the E slope because it rarely misses. lol

You know If there is one thing I have always loved to do since being a little kid,  is draw national maps, include state borders and then pin capitals on the maps where they belong. Now related to this group,  I try to know exactly where every town is on the map to the nearest nuance and it is why I sometimes ask posters where they are (even within a town) and elevation. I am not that strong with the meteorology as other posters but I try to add something whether it is accurately observing now casting trends to the city or just interpreting model graphics and radar with an awareness of where exactly I am and where I am looking at exactly. I have pretty much googled the towns of everyone on this board and could now place them on a map lol, and in the bigger towns I need to know what part they are in (and have)

This set up is going to have very sharp local cut offs and will be giving some fits and others celebrating and man is that coastal front going to be exciting to watch set up. The upslope in the W Ma area will mostly fall where we have zero posters on this board.

I don't know the town where Wxmanmitch bought his property except for him saying it was around 2300' just over the VT border. My guess is his lot gets crushed.

You know If there is one thing I have always loved to do since being a little kid, is draw national maps, include state borders and then pin capitals on the maps where they belong. Now related to this group, I try to know exactly where every town is on the map to the nearest nuance and it is why I sometimes ask posters where they are (even within a town) and elevation. I am not that strong with the meteorology as other posters but I try to add something whether it is accurately observing now casting trends to the city or just interpreting model graphics and radar with an awareness of where exactly I am and where I am looking at exactly. I have pretty much googled the towns of everyone on this board and could now place them on a map lol, and in the bigger towns I need to know what part they are in (and have)

This set up is going to have very sharp local cut offs and will be giving some fits and others celebrating and man is that coastal front going to be exciting to watch set up. The upslope in the W Ma area will mostly fall where we have zero posters on this board.

I don't know the town where Wxmanmitch bought his property except for him saying it was around 2300' just over the VT border. My guess is his lot gets crushed.

Woodford

Interesting stuff, good to know.

Topography of W MA is fascinating and complex. Lot's of microclimates. The Berkshires is a broad brush term. Really Berkshire East ski area is not really Berkshires but Hoosac range as MPM posted. Even the Pioneer Valley is a broad brush. Within the CT/Pioneer Valley are other smaller elevated valleys like the Deerfield and Green River Valley areas.

Greenfield can have much snowier outcomes than any of the towns S of here because the terrain becomes much tighter and generally higher elevation than let's say Amherst/Northampton but then there are some systems where the entire Ct River Valley from White River Junction to Hartford get screwgied on shadowing and putrid snow growth ie Boxing Day.

Archived