joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this and at what time frame do we stop looking at ensemble guidance?

Lower resolution on ensembles make them worse at mesoscale aspects of the forecast.

I'd probably stop looking at ensemble means tomorrow. There's still some larger scale uncertainty at the moment which makes them useful, but as the goalposts continue to narrow, the larger scale variables become less important since the model agreement becomes high....at that point, the mesoscale nuances are what drive the model differences.

There will definitely be CF enhancement/OES. Classic setup. I feel like the CF will oscillate near BOS. Maybe creep up to 128 prior to Monday.

Yea, I'm afraid it will be an inside of rt 128 set up...sometimes I get a bit of an FU sliver when that happens, but no way of knowing yet. 

That is the risk I run in really cold events.

Yes it was tough without any cold, as any coastal place would be. But, give me high pressure and give me nudity. I know what it takes around here.

Oh absolutely.  Was just pointing out that you weren't in a good spot for a while...but now you ARE!!  Hope we make out ok in Interior Central CT with this whole thing.

I would go 3-6" amounts for the Islands, and 6-12" amounts from the CHH area to HYA to FAL to TAU to HFD areas. Then 12-18" amounts along the Pike and northward, with possible 18"+ amounts from NE MA to ME.

I have no argument with your Pike northward amounts, but I'm not expecting anything more than 3-6 on a line SE of EWB-PYM..unless future guidance ticks further south with the boundary. I've seen this happen many times before with these types of storms. Just north of this boundary will clean up, but it will be a fine line.

I have no argument with your Pike northward amounts, but I'm not expecting anything more than 3-6 on a line SE of EWB-PYM..unless future guidance ticks further south with the boundary. I've seen this happen many times before with these types of storms. Just north of this boundary will clean up, but it will be a fine line.

Honestly I think we do fine. I'm expecting the amounts to be more uniform throughout EMass except for those favored OES areas. I've seen these systems before and as long as the cold is entrenched and the boundary moves

enough S we should be okay. I would not even be surprised if areas N and W of Boston fight dry air.

I am really surprised there is no watch up for plymouth county. Anyone elses thoughts on this? I figure it will pop up after 00z gives some more clarity. Really think the models are blowing wind in terms of the heat factor

I wouldn't get caught up in where they have the watches up..They're  basing that on the most from the overrunning being in that zone. That part is far from figured out

The overrunning is also earlier in the event...so areas that are more likely to see it gives them confidence in the winter storm watch. They might think some area south will get 8" in 24 hours, but probably not until Sunday night and Monday so the confidence becomes lower being further out. They might issue a watch further south tomorrow morning if the 00z models give a good hit on the coastal phase of the storm.

The overrunning is also earlier in the event...so areas that are more likely to see it gives them confidence in the winter storm watch. They might think some area south will get 8" in 24 hours, but probably not until Sunday night and Monday so the confidence becomes lower being further out. They might issue a watch further south tomorrow morning if the 00z models give a good hit on the coastal phase of the storm.

Or when the overrunning comes south more so

Or when the overrunning comes south more so

It probably isn't going to move that much...it's like 36-48 hours out now.

It might tick either direction 25 miles but the confidence is definitely highest on the overrunning part from pike to S NH....you'll still get some from it though.

I kinda figured this.

I await the 00z models with bated breath :lmao:

Sucks always being on the boundary line. South shore life + ocean life. I will admit tho. This winter has been the best of my adult life on the South Shore of MA North PYM county....Maybe 96 but i was 7/8 years old can only remeber snow being past my waist...lol and being off school for a week. Early :weenie: days

I would go 3-6" amounts for the Islands, and 6-12" amounts from the CHH area to HYA to FAL to TAU to HFD areas.  Then 12-18" amounts along the Pike and northward, with possible 18"+ amounts from NE MA to ME.

From what I've seen, the bigger snows don't get al that far north fo the Kittery bridge, and any southward move would accentuate that trend.  I'm anticipating a nice 4-8" refresher while folks to the south set some snowpack records - it's been that way since our big dump in Feb. 2009, except for last month's 20" bliz when I was in SNJ watching a 12-16" forecast verify at 1".   Still way above my avg snowfall for the date, however.

Archived