joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs/Weenie disco thread for SWFE to coastal Feb 2

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WE HAVE a 40" TOTAL from the BLIZZARD Confirmed!!  

"The deck is 36 inches tall. When we measured with a yardstick, we got 33 inches of snow.

All around us got the same." as I e-mailed them and that was the response, Shown in the video for total proof.    

http://instagram.com/p/yaVu9Zsrlo/

33" in that storm is At LEAST 40" Storm Total, more like 41" or 42".  

i have my doubts they had 2' :lol:

The three towns bordering them all reported over 18. Taking into account the fitchburg ob was from 3pm, they may also have over 20 now.

LUNENBURG 24.1 530 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

WESTMINSTER 23.1 541 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER 20.7 517 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

FITCHBURG 18.8 345 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTE

Cleared 10" at noon. Another 5.5" at four. Another inch now. Probably 16-17" new here.

NorEastermass,  the way your doing it would over inflate the official measurements at your location.  With the density of the snow being so light it compacts very easily.  Any extra weight brings decreases the columns width.  So if you cleared at noon (assuming that was about 6 hours after start time)  you should not have taken your next measurement till 6pm.  So really that last weight of that inch never compacted the 5.5.  It really does cut down in the storm total.  That is one reason the NWS totals are less than someone that is clearing sooner than the 6 hours.  If someone cleared a board every hour and took an hourly measurement I bet they would be at 20" with this type of cold "fluff" snow.   I'm just posting all this so others too do it the right way if they have time.

The three towns bordering them all reported over 18. Taking into account the fitchburg ob was from 3pm, they may also have over 20 now.

LUNENBURG 24.1 530 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

WESTMINSTER 23.1 541 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER 20.7 517 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTER

FITCHBURG 18.8 345 PM 2/02 TRAINED SPOTTE

Intentional or not, I think slant sticking is the rule rather than the exception.

Either some like to see their town top the list, or the general public thinks we want to know the depth of the tallest drift in their backyard.

Ugh. Stuck for the night in KPIT. Glad you guys got clocked with this one... What an odd event. I definitely didn't expect that back edge to be so prolific!! Did any models pick that up?

GGEM had been showing it for several runs but backed off a shade when we got close. Euro last night hinted at it but nothing to the extent which occurred.

The two Canadian models have been killing it this winter.

GGEM had been showing it for several runs but backed off a shade when we got close. Euro last night hinted at it but nothing to the extent which occurred.

The two Canadian models have been killing it this winter.

Interesting. Mid level frontogenesis under modeled? I pulled up the 12z bufkit soundings earlier and nothing really jumped out at me for this +SN during the afternoon. Definitely an odd evolution.

Archived