• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

If this winter would have been warm it would have been much better. Too much rain and cold. January will go down as a below average temp month with above in precip. Only one inch of snow to show for it here at the house and maybe 2-3 at 5000ft and above here. It's so bad that I had to use 4 wheel drive to get up my driveway this morning because of mud.

Yeah, I am going to be severely disappointed if we suck out with a 2-3" slopper, I want snow futility, it happens from time to time so it would be good to just suck it up for the rest of the winter now.  

RDU has had 24 winters with 1" or less of snow in the past 128 years, so that's roughly 20% of the time, 1 out of every 5 years.  To compare we have had 33 winters with 11" or greater in that same time period.   So we are more likely to get 11+" of snow in a season then it is to stay below 1".  We have had 5 winters below 1" since 2004, which was our last 11+" season.   

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I come to this forum for my daily comedy. Way too many folks have been so repetitive about the 10 day storm being the one "they have their eye on" and how "it's the one" and "best look we've had all season" and "so much model agreement" and "I've been eyeing this time period for a while" and "I knew this one that's 3 days out wasn't going to work" blah blah blah blah blah. When will some learn that a pattern is a pattern for a reason? After the second time we had a day 8-10 storm not work out I quit putting ANY belief in a model past day 3. Close the books on this winter, it'll go down as one of the biggest busts in recent memory and you're crazy if you think otherwise. End rant

You're right in that it's usually very silly to get worked up about a 10 day out storm. But what else do we have in this boring winter? Chasing D 10 threats is all we got. But yeah, they're not going to work out most years...especially this one.

But patterns do change. We have to hope this one does before it's too late.

Yeah, I am going to be severely disappointed if we suck out with a 2-3" slopper, I want snow futility, it happens from time to time so it would be good to just suck it up for the rest of the winter now.  

RDU has had 24 winters with 1" or less of snow in the past 128 years, so that's roughly 20% of the time, 1 out of every 5 years.  To compare we have had 33 winters with 11" or greater in that same time period.   So we are more likely to get 11+" of snow in a season then it is to stay below 1".  We have had 5 winters below 1" since 2004, which was our last 11+" season.   

Crazy that 5 of them have been since 2004. It's been feast or famine since then.

You're right in that it's usually very silly to get worked up about a 10 day out storm. But what else do we have in this boring winter? Chasing D 10 threats is all we got. But yeah, they're not going to work out most years...especially this one.

But patterns do change. We have to hope this one does before it's too late.

No I agree that the 10 day storms are all we have had to look at but the thing that gets me is some of the things that are said with every single one. Just how people do a complete 180 with every event from day 10 to day 3 and they do the same exact thing for the next day 10 threat.

Despite all this wind, at least it's a warm day on the east side of the Appalachians today. It's a different story in or on the west side of the apps. It looked like there were some snow showers in northwestern Georgia this morning, can anybody confirm? I know there is blowing snow up in the high mountains of NC with temps in the low 20s with 50mph winds.

I did not have any in mby, but the local facebook page got lots of reports of flurries in our county (Lumpkin).  from my house I could also see that up in the mountains along the app trail ridge (near springer mtn) it was snowing. not sure if any accumulations, but I would bet the higher peaks say above 3k had a least a dusting. 

Of course I'll read the forecast, but I'll put very little weight to them; maybe as much as next years woolly worm.

Talk about very little weight---12z GFS at day 13 (then there would be another threat after that):

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_312_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=312&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150202+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Congrats Boston.... Again..... :axe:

My chips may be off the table, but i haven't given up by no means. Ive went flake less many winters in December, January and got thumped February, March. South an east of 85 may be another story who knows, i dont feel confident by no means with a hundred an twenty years worth of data. Need several hundred more. Haha

I think the mountains will get something decent between now and the end of March. You folks in the low-lands - might

as well get out the short sleeves and call this winter off. The sun is going to start feeling nice in a week or so.

Yep I say east of 85 it might be over but around the 40 corridor and the mountains still plenty of time left for sure!

Time for a hail mary on this storm.  I'm hoping we can salvage winter with a strong ULL swinging through in late Feb or early March.  Those are some really fun systems if you don't get screwed over.  2009 was awesome with extreme rates and thunder.  One of the few times it poured rain all day then just switched over in a matter of seconds.

Archived