joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredibly windy down here in Tryon NC. 20 mph winds with gusts to 30-35. Was this even forecast? If the models didn't even show this there really is no hope...

This has been forecasted for a few days.

Language For wind advisory in this area came out yesterday morning I think. Winds are brutal today!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I blame myself. I was the only one at the table that was skeptical in October at Carrabbas. 

The saddest thing is, next October the winter forecasts will start coming out and almost everyone will totally forget this years debacle and irrational exuberance will once again spread across the land. 

I come to this forum for my daily comedy. Way too many folks have been so repetitive about the 10 day storm being the one "they have their eye on" and how "it's the one" and "best look we've had all season" and "so much model agreement" and "I've been eyeing this time period for a while" and "I knew this one that's 3 days out wasn't going to work" blah blah blah blah blah. When will some learn that a pattern is a pattern for a reason? After the second time we had a day 8-10 storm not work out I quit putting ANY belief in a model past day 3. Close the books on this winter, it'll go down as one of the biggest busts in recent memory and you're crazy if you think otherwise. End rant

The saddest thing is, next October the winter forecasts will start coming out and almost everyone will totally forget this years debacle and irrational exuberance will once again spread across the land. 

Of course I'll read the forecast, but I'll put very little weight to them; maybe as much as next years woolly worm.

Talk about very little weight---12z GFS at day 13 (then there would be another threat after that):

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_312_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=312&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150202+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Despite all this wind, at least it's a warm day on the east side of the Appalachians today. It's a different story in or on the west side of the apps. It looked like there were some snow showers in northwestern Georgia this morning, can anybody confirm? I know there is blowing snow up in the high mountains of NC with temps in the low 20s with 50mph winds.

If this winter would have been warm it would have been much better. Too much rain and cold. January will go down as a below average temp month with above in precip. Only one inch of snow to show for it here at the house and maybe 2-3 at 5000ft and above here. It's so bad that I had to use 4 wheel drive to get up my driveway this morning because of mud.

Following the models and the PBP every 6 hours reminds me of watching a rocky movie.  He keeps getting his face bashed in and just every once in a while things start to look better, only to be pummeled some more.  Where we stand today is kind of like that point where Rocky finally decides to just go out there and dare the guy to hit him again and the guy just beats the crap out of him some more.  I just hope we can salvage the ends like rocky and come off the ropes with a knockout punch. 

I remember back in '93 when there was so much hype about the winter and most everything seemed to miss us to the north obviously.  Well, there's cold in Canada and a lot of moisture every few days, so maybe we can pull something out.

TW

Archived