joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Deltadog give up for the winter, I couldn't blame him.  Everything is ten days out then the next day its gone or we get the storm like on super bowl sunday but its to warm and rains.  Remember ten days ago the models were showing a super winter storm only to get rain yesterday.   :axe:

I'm ready for summer now. Never been in such a horrible winter in my life. Was really looking forward to this winter also. 

You obviously were too young to remember 2011-12...

Now, this is a blowtorch...

2011-12-US-Winter-temps.png

Southwestern Texas, New Mexico & northern Mexico were the places to be that year, & I'll admit at the time, I was quite upset to see El Paso, TX & Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, & Midland-Odessa cash in on Christmas Eve...

Dec-24-2011-US-snowcover.gif

If we're gonna feel self pity for one another, I should feel double. This is the worst winter with no measurable snowfall here since 2012/2013. At least some of you were lucky to get some token measurable snowfall that winter. Didn't get crap in 2011/2012 for that matter either.  :violin:

Being the optimistic dummy that I am, I haven't given up on Winter yet. Winter is COMING!! (in April that is...)

#DelayedButNotDenied :weenie:

I saw snow that winter at least...this winter i saw nothing lol

You've "seen nothing thus far". The only snow that winter came on February 19th (& we're still about 2-2.5 weeks away from that pt,), not to mention this winter comes nowhere close in terms of temperatures & precipitation... 2011-12 is on an entirely different level in terms of being crappy...

You've "seen nothing thus far". The only snow that winter came on February 19th (& we're still about 2-2.5 weeks away from that pt,), not to mention this winter comes nowhere close in terms of temperatures & precipitation... 2011-12 is on an entirely different level in terms of being crappy...

Dude, stop taking everything i say as a personal attack and being combative. We are not at a conference or writing a paper or something. I was just making a general statement. 

If we're gonna feel self pity for one another, I should feel double. This is the worst winter with no measurable snowfall here since 2012/2013. At least some of you were lucky to get some token measurable snowfall that winter. Didn't get crap in 2011/2012 for that matter either. :violin:

Being the optimistic dummy that I am, I haven't given up on Winter yet. Winter is COMING!! (in April that is...)

#DelayedButNotDenied :weenie:

The winter of 2012-2013 was actually not that bad up here. It was about 50% of our snowfall average, so it wasn't good, but was still miles above some other winters we've had in the last decade.

Dude, stop taking everything i say as a personal attack and being combative. We are not at a conference or writing a paper or something. I was just making a general statement. 

I'm taking what you said as a personal attack? Right... I'm just correcting your erroneous "general statement" w/ facts, nothing more...

I'm taking what you said as a personal attack? Right... I'm just correcting your erroneous "general statement" w/ facts, nothing more...

I've warned you about coming into the banter thread and stirring things up by nitpicking over minutia.     So here is a fact for you.  Next time you get a 5 day break.  Nothing less.

You weren't arguing facts.  You were arguing opinion. For many this winter is worse than 2011-12.  That is a matter of opinion.   

It's actually not a matter of opinion if you used some simple context clues... Since this blogger's initial comment was in reference to the lack of snow they've observed this winter, it's assumed since colder & snowier winters are often coincident, this is their preferred mode of what they define as a "good" winter, like many of us here on the forum, even including myself. 2011-12 isn't nowhere near the same ballpark as this year, (w/ exception to the Tennessee Valley which is supposed to be wetter than normal during a la nina anyway) it was far warmer & drier. That is not a matter of opinion... :)

US precip/temp anomalies Winter 2011-12 thru January 31st

Dec-1-Jan-31-2015-US-temos.gif

Dec-1-Jan-31-201w-US-precip.gif

US precip/temp anomalies this winter through January 31st.. Very close to normal...

Dec-1-January-31-2015-US-temps.gif

Dec-1-Jan-31-2015-US-precip.gif

It's actually not a matter of opinion if you used some simple context clues... Since this blogger's initial comment was in reference to the lack of snow they've observed this winter, it's assumed since colder & snowier winters are often coincident, this is their preferred mode of what they define as a "good" winter, like many of us here on the forum, even including myself. 2011-12 isn't nowhere near the same ballpark as this year, (w/ exception to the Tennessee Valley which is supposed to be wetter than normal during a la nina anyway) it was far warmer & drier. That is not a matter of opinion... :)

US precip/temp anomalies Winter 2011-12 thru January 31st

Dec-1-Jan-31-2015-US-temos.gif

Dec-1-Jan-31-201w-US-precip.gif

US precip/temp anomalies this winter through January 31st.. Very close to normal...

Dec-1-January-31-2015-US-temps.gif

Dec-1-Jan-31-2015-US-precip.gif

Some people like warm and dry over cold and snowless.  Speaking of context clues, you missed an obvious one in my earlier post.  

Some people like warm and dry over cold and snowless.  Speaking of context clues, you missed an obvious one in my earlier post.  

I'm one of those weirdos that has enjoyed the cold and rainy weather. I hasn't been looking like Winter, but at least it feels like it. I am kinda surprised by the lack of 70s though. I think the last time we saw 70s for highs here was back in December. I don't recall there being any in January this year.

I would too if I had that knowledge. I try to do it when I can. Like yesterday Brick said December was below average when the entire country actually torched.

That was a specific and quantifiable fact.  Not the same thing that went on tonight.

When someone, in a banter thread, makes a general statement that this is the worst winter they can remember, that is a statement of their opinion.  Responding with maps and a statement that another year was warmer and drier is nonsensical.

Before any response can be made,it might be a good idea to find out what parameters the first person considered when making their statement.  You can't just assume warm and dry is worse than cold and snowless for someone else.  That's why it is an opinion. I myself would rather, if there isn't going to be any significant snow, have 60º days instead of 40º days.  It's cheaper when paying for heating and much more pleasant to be outside.  

Archived