• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

This is boring. I'm really tired of this winter. Can't wait for thunderstorm season or warmer temps. No rain this winter. Everything is just boring. Waycross is boring. Nothing in the forecast for the

next 7 days. Nothing on the models to get excited about except "almost" having blocking in 14 days.

Yepp gotta say "T" storms are fun to watch from the front porch. These fantasy snow storms just aren't getting it done for me.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the GFS had some threats in earlier runs.

I feel like the models are all crying wolf this winter. They show good potential, but can't win the big game.

Models always do this. That is why you don't take them seriously past 7 days. Its not that they are bad, it's that all our threats this year have been in the 10 day range and we are expecting the models to remain unchanged that far out,then we criticize them knowing damn well they are going to change run to run after day 7. Same with hurricane season.

It would be great if nothing showed on the models for 10 days out and instead waited until 3 days out to first show up. 

Not a bad idea, it would be nice if all models conformed to what the UKmet does.  Surface plots inside 72 hours, height available through 144.  Then ensembles go to day 12 but only show heights/h-anomalies.  After day 12 ensembles have been really bad this winter, really after day 10.

So this year we learned that analogs & models are mostly worthless past day 2 or 3. Neat. Never again will I fall for a "Winter outlook" or whatever you want to call it.

This long range "look at this happening over here" crap is worthless too.

Except we will forget all this next winter.

So this year we learned that analogs & models are mostly worthless past day 2 or 3.  Neat.  Never again will I fall for a "Winter outlook" or whatever you want to call it.

I personally hope that by next fall they are calling for the warmest winter on record. That way I know we may have a chance for snow. I'm just going to laugh when they forecast warm and dry. Like, does it even matter ? Obviously LR forecasting is a joke and not to be taken seriously. 

So this year we learned that analogs & models are mostly worthless past day 2 or 3. Neat. Never again will I fall for a "Winter outlook" or whatever you want to call it.

analogs are not worthless, they are just not 100% accurate.

Okay. They are not worthless. They just suck this year especially and caused busts galore.

there is still a whole month of winter left and temps have not been too far off. Snowfall south of DC is the problem. I know the northeast is well above in snow and DC is average (I think). Besides it doesn't take too much for you guys to get above average snow. For us here in the mtns it's a different story. Hopefully February and March turn snowy. Definitely going to be frustrated if it's April and we are still getting snow showers.

It sucks in Boone when it's April and 45 or 50 degrees and it is pushing 70 in Raleigh and Charlotte.

You almost get blinded by the sun if it does snow up here in April.

My parents moved up here in 1997 and the lowest snow total for a season since then has been around 12 inches.  So far this year we are up to around 8 inches comprised up all nickel and dime events for the most part.

It sucks in Boone when it's April and 45 or 50 degrees and it is pushing 70 in Raleigh and Charlotte.

My parents moved up here in 1997 and the lowest snow total for a season since then has been around 12 inches.  So far this year we are up to around 8 inches comprised up all nickel and dime events for the most part.

Thats sad if boone has only seen 8 inches so far.  Thats only 3 inches more (as a total) than areas here saw around 5-5.5 at once in November with an ULL.

I was at App St from Spring 89 to summer 91 and that's about all I received during that time span. Definitely loved the summers but was disappointed with the two full winters I experienced. Of course after I left and came down here they has some big storms.

I was at App St from Spring 89 to summer 91 and that's about all I received during that time span. Definitely loved the summers but was disappointed with the two full winters I experienced. Of course after I left and came down here they has some big storms.

Yes, 92 to 96 was pretty awesome. Lots of sledding in front of Justice.

bet you were bummed missing March 93?

Archived