joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went on a snow chase but ended up not seeing any snow. That pretty much sums it up.

orly?

snowstorm2011, on 01 February 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

I'm such a wuss. I drove all the way to Ohio and as soon as it started snowing I started driving back south because I got scared I would be stranded. Anyway, I'm in Crossville, TN tonight. Anyone thjnk this area could get some flurry action tonight ?

Starting to see grumblings from the seasoned met's in the area about the lack of snow and the prospects going forward.  I thought this was an interesting article...

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/news/2015/02/4/where-is-all-the-snow.html

The graph they posted below you just have to laugh, 4th winter in a row below climo for RDU, 3 well below.  I know the CLT/GSO/PGV folks have been killing us the past 7 years, hopefully we can turn the tide on you guys :bag: ...before I am a 90.

post-2311-0-04743000-1423083098_thumb.pn

Pack - here are snow totals in Charlotte for those years...

2014-2015: 0.0

2013-2014: 9.3

2012-2013: 2.7

2011-2012: Trace

2010-2011: 6.1

2009-2010: 5.9

Totals: Charlotte (24.0) vs. Raleigh (25.4)

I got the blinders on and I only see the 9.3" v/s our 5.8" last winter  :lmao: .  We haven't seen 9.3"+ of snow since 2004.

Not including this winter since we are both skunked...based on this URL below, CLT is 83% of climo over the past 5 winters and RDU is 65% of climo...RDU wins!  Or we actually lose,  :bag: .

https://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/avgsnowfall.html

meh, called this winter as crap back in early December. There were a few more posters saying the same thing back then.....

Seasonal forecasting isn't easy, you (and the others) were guessing. Most of the seasonal and LR models showed otherwise, it just didn't work out.

Seasonal forecasting isn't easy, you (and the others) were guessing. Most of the seasonal and LR models showed otherwise, it just didn't work out.

You finally throwing in the towel?  I like the fact that so many more of you are flipping, shows we are finally hitting rock bottom.

Pack - here are snow totals in Charlotte for those years...

2014-2015: 0.0

2013-2014: 9.3

2012-2013: 2.7

2011-2012: Trace

2010-2011: 6.1

2009-2010: 5.9

Totals: Charlotte (24.0) vs. Raleigh (25.4)

GSO:

2014-2015: Trace (NOT a shutout) :yikes::lol:

2013-2014: 15.3"

2012-2013: 3.6"

2011-2012: 1.6"

2010-2011: 9.9"

2009-2010: 16.6"

Total: 47"

Per year: 9.4" (slightly above average) (not including 2014-2015)

We really have been outbatting our coverage compared to Raleigh lately... I'm sure it will turn around at some point, though.  Sometimes, the big storms tend to favor areas further east (Jan 2000, Jan 2002, Dec 2010, etc.).

You finally throwing in the towel? I like the fact that so many more of you are flipping, shows we are finally hitting rock bottom.

There's a fine line, man. Had the two streams phased then we'd be under Thurs/Fri and no one would call this winter a failure. One 5" snow could make up for everything. I noticed on the models it being a northern stream dominated pattern and I mentioned we have to get very lucky with timing several times, but that doesn't mean it can't and won't happen, the odds are just lower. I still can't say I'm throwing in the towel, lots of time left. But I do admit and I would never deny that this winter has sucked for us so far. To me, though, opportunities seem to me coming in more frequently the past week so there's definitely more time for Feb. I don't really care what any seasonal monthly model says since they've been wrong all winter anyway.

GSO:

2014-2015: Trace (NOT a shutout) :yikes::lol:

2013-2014: 15.3"

2012-2013: 3.6"

2011-2012: 1.6"

2010-2011: 9.9"

2009-2010: 16.6"

Total: 47"

Per year: 9.4" (slightly above average) (not including 2014-2015)

We really have been outbatting our coverage compared to Raleigh lately... I'm sure it will turn around at some point, though.  Sometimes, the big storms tend to favor areas further east (Jan 2000, Jan 2002, Dec 2010, etc.).

Man you suck, suck big time, your like the Boston of the SE and are only 45 miles west of me.  You can add up all the snow since/including 2004 for RDU and we are at 51", LOL. 

meh, called this winter as crap back in early December. There were a few more posters saying the same thing back then.....

Crap is a bit of an understatement. I've seen less snow in my backyard this winter than in 2011-12 and that winter was ridiculously mild and only had a few stray flakes. Also saw more snow ( a few flakes) in 05-06 and 06-07. If I go the entire winter without even a snowflake it will be the first time in my lifetime.

There's a fine line, man. Had the two streams phased then we'd be under Thurs/Fri and no one would call this winter a failure. One 5" snow could make up for everything. I noticed on the models it being a northern stream dominated pattern and I mentioned we have to get very lucky with timing several times, but that doesn't mean it can't and won't happen, the odds are just lower. I still can't say I'm throwing in the towel, lots of time left. But I do admit and I would never deny that this winter has sucked for us so far. To me, though, opportunities seem to me coming in more frequently the past week so there's definitely more time for Feb. I don't really care what any seasonal monthly model says since they've been wrong all winter anyway.

I still think had the ridge been taller in the west we would have had snow from the system tomorrow.  It's a shame, but why I am a little more optimistic about the 12th and on.

I still think had the ridge been taller in the west we would have had snow from the system tomorrow. It's a shame, but why I am a little more optimistic about the 12th and on.

It really is a shame. I don't recall being that close to a big storm and it not happening. It was a little cruel the way it worked out. I miss our triple phasers of years past.

Incidently due to my gullibilty and a well presented but completely irrelevent thoery regarding aisian snow cover and southeast US winter forecasting. I have several of these availible for imeadiate delivery.

So, you're having an analog sale.  Lots of those this year.

Archived