joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just all start thinking about warm weather and playing some golf!!! I bet some one in the SE stills ends up with at least one good snow storm before April... Even though I have thrown in the towel... lol

Can't.  It's still going to be cold, just not stormy.  Probably get blocking in late Feb like last year and March will be cool/cold too and just drag out our suffering...

I was wondering if I just stopped using this name and got another one, and never used this one again, if that would be okay.

Why would you do this? Just because you don't like the name anymore? Like ISO said, I think if you donate, you get the ability to change screen names ever so often. I don't know if you can do that or not if you don't donate. Just create another account with a different name, if you really want to (assuming you can't just change your screen name). That would probably be the easiest.

We are sooooo gonna have a monster severe season if we get a pattern flip come late march. You cant have 70's parked in the path of 40 degree fronts and expect peace and tranquility. I fear this is where we are headed. Its been quite a while since we have had multi-day, serious impact severe weather across the carolinas and virginia. Could be the year.

Why would you do this? Just because you don't like the name anymore? Like ISO said, I think if you donate, you get the ability to change screen names ever so often. I don't know if you can do that or not if you don't donate. Just create another account with a different name, if you really want to (assuming you can't just change your screen name). That would probably be the easiest.

Here's a few to try: 1300m, BriarCreekWx, Wilkesboro dude, Crapperjohn, Max100, thunder91, snowstorm2012, U-Turn!

I just want to make sure it is okay beforehand, though. I wouldn't be using more than one name and posting here. I would just stop using this one at all and just use another one from now on. I guess I am just tired of the name and it being more of a character than me. 

lol I just posted about the same thing in the other thread.

LOL...if we finish Feb at -6F or colder and don't get any snow that will be the ultimate kick in the maracas. Getting measurable snow with the cold being shown the rest of the month shouldn't be that darn hard.  Still, this winter will go down as an epic fail, that ain't changing.

Last winters we saw this cold of Feb being progged (-5 or colder) was Feb's of 78-80, which all were very snowy for the SE.  CFS has us -7F, roughly.

Edit:  Feb 2010 was that cold too, which was also snowy, but had strong blocking.

79 and 80 fit into the category of not having strong -AO, although they had weak -AO.

Last winters we saw this cold of Feb being progged (-6 or colder) was Feb's of 78-80, which all were very snowy for the SE.  CFS has us -7F, roughly.

Edit: 2010 also fits in that criteria (-5 or colder) for Feb, which was snowy.  It had such strong blocking though.  79 and 80 didn't have strong blocking, it had weak blocking, hopefully we see some weak blocking show up after mid-month, the -NAO has been trying.

post-2311-0-76393500-1423171772_thumb.pn

LOL...if we finish Feb at -6F or colder and don't get any snow that will be the ultimate kick in the maracas. Getting measurable snow with the cold being shown the rest of the month shouldn't be that darn hard.  Still, this winter will go down as an epic fail, that ain't changing.

A trace of snow is measureable. It's measured as a trace.

Last winters we saw this cold of Feb being progged (-5 or colder) was Feb's of 78-80, which all were very snowy for the SE.  CFS has us -7F, roughly.

Edit:  Feb 2010 was that cold too, which was also snowy, but had strong blocking.

79 and 80 fit into the category of not having strong -AO, although they had weak -AO.

I know this has been shown a hundred times but here's the 1980 march 1st snow:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.19800302.gif

I don't think anybody would complain for a repeat.

A trace of snow is measureable. It's measured as a trace.

Allan was tweeting this morning about RDU's miserable seasonal snowfall the past decade or so and in one tweet he stated this "yeah apparently T for Trace in excel throws your average calculations off!" LOL

He was was pretty much stating what I had been saying, our 10 year average is roughly 3.5", which is 50% of our avg, meanwhile Eric was saying that FAY average over that time is 2x climo, LOL.   Evidently FAY had 11" last winter and 13" in 2011... :axe: 

I know this has been shown a hundred times but here's the 1980 march 1st snow:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.19800302.gif

I don't think anybody would complain for a repeat.

Feb 80 was snowy too, we got 7-8" before the March 1st event.  79 was just as good, we got 17-18" in Feb, 1 big event and a couple of smaller ones.

Allan was tweeting this morning about RDU's miserable seasonal snowfall the past decade or so and in one tweet he stated this "yeah apparently T for Trace in excel throws your average calculations off!" LOL

He was was pretty much stating what I had been saying, our 10 year average is roughly 3.5", which is 50% of our avg, meanwhile Eric was saying that FAY average over that time is 2x climo, LOL.   Evidently FAY had 11" last winter and 13" in 2011... :axe: 

Haha that is awesome! :arrowhead:

Archived