joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the map jb posted for 133% of average was suppose to be 13.3?

I think he has blinders towards the SE, I'm not sure I've even heard him mention the SE this winter? Wether good or bad! Just ignores it altogether. On the other hand there's really nothing to talk about down here so that could be the reason?

I think he has blinders towards the SE, I'm not sure I've even heard him mention the SE this winter? Wether good or bad! Just ignores it altogether. On the other hand there's really nothing to talk about down here so that could be the reason?

Chicago to DC and northeast of that line. He will mention Texas and FL if there is gonna be a freeze there. It's gonna have to be a great pattern for a month to get the mtns to 133% of average.

The 384h WTF mirrors the OMG. OMG=WTF!

This got me thinking, an always dangerous occurrence, and into my head popped something that possibly explains the wild mood swings of our neighbors to the the immediate north as storms form and bypass them only to bury New England.  The new index is called the Lower Mid Atlantic Oscillation or LMAO.  You can be sure from this day on, whenever I am working with that forum, LMAO will be at the top of my list.  

Chicago to DC and northeast of that line. He will mention Texas and FL if there is gonna be a freeze there. It's gonna have to be a great pattern for a month to get the mtns to 133% of average.

I've only had a few flurries all winter long not even a dusting!!!! I know I'm not in the mountains but usually I get a dusting at least

This got me thinking, an always dangerous occurrence, and into my head popped something that possibly explains the wild mood swings of our neighbors to the the immediate north as storms form and bypass them only to bury New England.  The new index is called the Lower Mid Atlantic Oscillation or LMAO.  You can be sure from this day on, whenever I am working with that forum,  LMAO will be at the top of my list.  

The FOZZ index.

Amazing how the LR GFS just badly wants us to have snow. Run after run, just hasn't been our winter this year. Personally I like the colder weather simply because at least it gives us a chance (however imaginary that might be). I feel like when it's mid 60's for weeks at a time that's when it's just plain old give up weather. 

Amazing how the LR GFS just badly wants us to have snow. Run after run, just hasn't been our winter this year. Personally I like the colder weather simply because at least it gives us a chance (however imaginary that might be). I feel like when it's mid 60's for weeks at a time that's when it's just plain old give up weather. 

The 12z lost the fantasy snows (except light stuff) but kept the potential pattern(cold). I suppose that's all we can ask for at this point.   

The 12z lost the fantasy snows (except light stuff) but kept the potential pattern(cold). I suppose that's all we can ask for at this point.   

The +PNA seems to be the theme in the 10+ day, but I feel like we haven't seen a stout +PNA with ridging across the pole like the GEFS/EPS is showing all winter.  Just look at what the GEFS was advertising for the next 5 days on it's Jan 24th run and compare it to what is actually going to verify.  If we do get the stout +PNA in the 11+ day period we will have a great chance at seeing snow, but this has been happening all winter, the 11+ day fantasy patterns never come to fruition.

If the Jan24th run would have verified I would suspect the system on Thursday/Friday would have been more favorable for all of us.

Jan 24th run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicalt...xpos=0&ypos=136

Feb 3rd run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicalt...xpos=0&ypos=121

Well, we have another 12 days or so before the chances for snow historically anyway really go down. I've seen one decent snow past Mid Feb in the last 22 years. I realize that NC is different and even parts of GA have seen snow after Mid Feb in the last few years, but not where I live.

I actually believe that the we'll probably get better blocking in March. It seems in winters where there is little blocking(specifically NAO), spring ends up being dominated by it. This should extend our snow chances, but because we'll be in March we'll have to still thread the needle.   

I actually believe that the we'll probably get better blocking in March. It seems in winters where there is little blocking(specifically NAO), spring ends up being dominated by it. This should extend our snow chances, but because we'll be in March we'll have to still thread the needle.   

It would really suck if we ended up getting good blocking in March and still got shut out.  I don't know about everyone else, but mentally I've already kind of moved on to spring. I look forward to 60s/70s and sunshine every day.

It would really suck if we ended up getting good blocking in March and still got shut out.  I don't know about everyone else, but mentally I've already kind of moved on to spring. I look forward to 60s/70s and sunshine every day.

So you've sort of made a U-turn away from winter?

The +PNA seems to be the theme in the 10+ day, but I feel like we haven't seen a stout +PNA with ridging across the pole like the GEFS/EPS is showing all winter.  Just look at what the GEFS was advertising for the next 5 days on it's Jan 24th run and compare it to what is actually going to verify.  If we do get the stout +PNA in the 11+ day period we will have a great chance at seeing snow, but this has been happening all winter, the 11+ day fantasy patterns never come to fruition.

If the Jan24th run would have verified I would suspect the system on Thursday/Friday would have been more favorable for all of us.

Jan 24th run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicalt...xpos=0&ypos=136

Feb 3rd run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicalt...xpos=0&ypos=121

LR indices look ok today. If we can get some of the better individual (negative/neutral) runs for the NAO and AO we could do well in mid February. The good thing is we have potential. The sad thing is this may be our last chance to see a good SE winter storm( something that can accumulate easily, last a couple of days, and not have to come at night).  

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

Archived