joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see it as well but I'm still not buying it completely. I still like the idea of 4-6" of heavy snow before mixing

Sent from my iPhone

I do still believe there are some tricks up mother nature's sleeve, but all guidance is saying otherwise. The issue becomes a fifty mile shift South, which we have seen in the short range, makes a world of difference.

Edit : that being said, observations are agreeing with warmer guidance.

There is no guidance that supports anything more then 1"-3" of slop followed by a heavy and flooding rain fall.

And yes, the Rgem should be heavily weighted. 90% of their forecast should be using the Rgem.

DROP THE WARNINGS.

Take it easy.  Haha.  They probably will this afternoon with a downgrade to an advisory for a possibly messy morning commute.

It's not as simple as that. They have issued them. The forecast discussion shows that the forecaster expects it to be a messy morning commute. The afternoon shift could decided they're not warranted, but, if they drop them and then a last second curveball happens, they are responsible to millions of people. It's very hard to drop warnings before an event once they are issued.

They need to drop them asap.

The general public thinks a snow and ice storm are coming.

TWC, which did quite well in the "blizzard" still has a major ice storm for much of Central Jersey and points north of there, including NYC, i.e., with up to 1/2" ice.  Wondering if they haven't incorporated the 12Z runs yet.  Have a hard time seeing the warnings staying up for at least the southern tier of NJ/NY counties, including NYC...

TWC, which did quite well in the "blizzard" still has a major ice storm for much of Central Jersey and points north of there, including NYC, i.e., with up to 1/2" ice. Wondering if they haven't incorporated the 12Z runs yet. Have a hard time seeing the warnings staying up for at least the southern tier of NJ/NY counties, including NYC...

You gotta be right eventually

The high to the north is also not strong enough. We probably would've seen a strong CAD setup if the high was around 1040 mb or so. 

nope i bet than the storm wouldve been suppressed...these stupid setups never workout lol

I have lived through a ton of these in sw coastal CT. Snow totals always over forecasted while sleet and frz rain always under forecasted. Expecting 3 to 5 at most with a lot of ice.

Agreed but I think your area and mine will get 6 to 8 plus the ice. If it comes in hard for several hours it will add up quickly.

I think the NWS has you under a warning for what 6-12? That seems really excessive  I doubt anyone on the shore sees a foot, its gotta come down at 2" per hour for the first six hours for that to happen.

that was issued prior to the 12z models ticking a bit warmer, bet they downgrade later to 4-8 or something like that.

I have lived through a ton of these in sw coastal CT. Snow totals always over forecasted while sleet and frz rain always under forecasted. Expecting 3 to 5 at most with a lot of ice.

Agree. Though I could see us getting a quick 6 inches. These storms always have ample moisture and the front end dump usually over performs

Agree. Though I could see us getting a quick 6 inches. These storms always have ample moisture and the front end dump usually over performs

I think you are right on.   I see 4-6, maybe 5-7, sleet freezing rain and then end maybe as plain rain for an hour or two. and maybe a 1-2 inch difference from the beach to the hi-ho

For the city, I'd go with 2-4", maybe 3-5" if the front end does well and can hold back the warm air aloft for a while. It should go to rain quickly in the city given how torchy things are on a SE wind. From the LIE south, I think you walk away from this with less snow on the ground than before-the immediate shore, maybe much less with temps near 40 and a strong onshore wind. That just destroys a snowpack. Should be a crazy flash freeze though at the end with temps crashing to the teens.

North of Yonkers and in CT and N NJ it should stay sleet after the snow changes over, so there it looks more like 4-8" or 5-10". If these warmer trends continue though, there could be rain at the end close to NYC. I think everyone in this subforum with the possible exception of the Ulster County guy change over from snow at some point-the mid level warming will be very potent with the north track of the 850 low. Even Boston is looking more like they get sleet, but after a big time front end. 

To me, this was pretty easy to see coming once the S/W started trending stronger on the modeling and the confluence north was looking more like it would give way. SWFEs very rarely go well in NYC, and we needed much stronger blocking to stop the low from trying to cut. Now it looks like the primary will make it into northern PA before transferring offshore-disaster for NYC and the coast, and a mess inland.

Archived