• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

Went to bed after the Euro and assumed I'd wake up to many of the watches being dropped and much lower snowfall forecasts, especially for Central Jersey.  Wrong.  All the same counties are now under winter storm warnings, including Middlesex, where my snow fall forecast was actually increased a bit - although the gradient is even steeper, from 1=2" in the southern edge of the county to 6-8" in the northern quarter of the county (N of 287, which is east - west in our area), where I live.  That's a very steep gradient over about 30 miles.  Here's the relevant portion of the AFD and the latest map:

THE PRECIPITATION TYPE FORECAST IS MAINLY DERIVED
FROM THE 00Z NAM. THE 00Z GFS LOOKED TO HAVE TO INTENSE OF A LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM WHICH IN TURN ALLOWS FOR MORE WARM AIR ADVECTION.
THE ECMWF IS STILL ON THE COOLER END OF THE SPECTRUM WITH THE NAM IN
BETWEEN THESE SOLUTIONS. THE SREF AND WPC QPF FORECAST WAS USED AS
WELL WITH GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT ON QPF IN THIS PERIOD. THIS RESULTS
IN ADDITIONAL SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS FOR NORTHERN PARTS OF THE
CWA IN THIS PERIOD.

StormTotalSnowRange.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For anyone with IMBY questions regarding models here's the free site most people use.. It's usually got a pretty good delay, but wit you wanna know how a model looks for your area you can go look

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/navm.html?model=nam&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2015011012&fh=0&xpos=0&ypos=100

Ive seen numerous comments trying to refute the mix/change scenario based on a "fresh" cold air mass. It seems to me that this air mass is already a bit stale, with the fresh cold immediately behind the storm. Still hoping for 6" or so prior to taint where i am, but we'll see.

Went to bed at 12:30 am in wall nj it was 15 degrees. Woke up it was 25. Heading to Edison to do some storm stuff today with 12, Woodbridge is lending the township 7 salt trucks after this week's fire. Middlesex looks to be quite a battleground once again, but I'm skeptical of the cold air hanging on any longer than models show.

Ive seen numerous comments trying to refute the mix/change scenario based on a "fresh" cold air mass. It seems to me that this air mass is already a bit stale, with the fresh cold immediately behind the storm. Still hoping for 6" or so prior to taint where i am, but we'll see.

I would not call it stale it just appears the storm will be bit stronger and will able to nudge further north. The cold is not so much retreating but more holding steady to being slightly nudged north. As usual the surface temps will hold the best but mid levels will warm enough to change many from snow to sleet and or freezing rain. The trick now is where do the various transitions occur and how far to the north and NW does the surface freezing line get. Oh and how much snow falls before all this happens. Nothing complicated about that forecast. Lol

Went to bed at 12:30 am in wall nj it was 15 degrees. Woke up it was 25. Heading to Edison to do some storm stuff today with 12, Woodbridge is lending the township 7 salt trucks after this week's fire. Middlesex looks to be quite a battleground once again, but I'm skeptical of the cold air hanging on any longer than models show.

I'm thinking 3-4 for Edison....you?

I'm thinking 3-4 for Edison....you?

It all depends how fast the precip gets here. One of My favorite mets SallyAnn was in today and we were talking about the potential for ice here. She's concerned that it could get icy especially up near morristown. But for Edison it will be a race between the warm punch and precip arrival. 3-4 sounds like a good call, maybe a little more on the hilltops just north of 22. The temp rise surprised me.

I think this is a major ice storm for all of LI including the south shore, with the 32 degree isotherm never making it north of Ocean Parkway near the beaches.  I think we get .35-.50 inch of ZR and very serious event.  The models are overplaying the 33-34 degree boundary layer on LI south shore,  not with NE winds and bitter cold air mass just over the sound feeding very low DP air. This is a classic LI ice storm, come on folks don't u see it.  Don't want this, but this is what we'll get.  I think this will be much more serious than being forecasted.  This is the January 1994 big ZR event all over again........ This is a 29/29 ZR event after the SN changes to PL and ZR. This is not the marginal 32/32 ZR which is much less impact.  Growing very concerned about this. Hope the models trend colder and this becomes a IP pinger fest.

I think this is a major ice storm for all of LI including the south shore, with the 32 degree isotherm never making it north of Ocean Parkway near the beaches. I think we get .35-.50 inch of ZR and very serious event. The models are overplaying the 33-34 degree boundary layer on LI south shore, not with NE winds and bitter cold air mass just over the sound feeding very low DP air. This is a classic LI ice storm, come on folks don't u see it. Don't want this, but this is what we'll get. I think this will be much more serious than being forecasted. This is the January 1994 big ZR event all over again........ This is a 29/29 ZR event after the SN changes to PL and ZR. This is not the marginal 32/32 ZR which is much less impact. Growing very concerned about this. Hope the models trend colder and this becomes a IP pinger fest.

I think there is allot more pining. Will there be freezing rain sure but I think it's mainly north of the lie. Even in 94 the freezing rain was way worse north of the southern state. I think at my house it goes to plain rain for a couple hours. Regardless what is on the ground is gonna be a sleet filled heavy slushy mess. It needs to be moved immediately or it's going to freeze into glacier

Archived