joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passaic County in Clifton here. So from reading few last pages here. We are looking for a lot less Snow but more icing situation. My question is i have to be at work by 7 am and was wondering what the condition will be like on the roads. Thanks in advance.

gfs shows very little ice except for extreme nw jersey

Ok, based on looking at the last models, I think we'll see a similar situation to last Saturday.  Heavy snow through about 5 or 6 am (NYC and LI), depositing 3 to perhaps 6" of snow.  Then we see a brief period of freezing rain.  Then it's light rain for a few hours.  Then some snow showers for the afternoon with perhaps 1" or so...then a flash freeze by 6 - 8 pm or so.

Ok, based on looking at the last models, I think we'll see a similar situation to last Saturday. Heavy snow through about 5 or 6 am (NYC and LI), depositing 3 to perhaps 6" of snow. Then we see a brief period of freezing rain. Then it's light rain for a few hours. Then some snow showers for the afternoon with perhaps 1" or so...then a flash freeze by 6 - 8 pm or so.

Very much agreed... Cold air will be extremely tough to get rid of... This could be a bad ice storm just inland.

Ok, when we had that big ice issue couple weeks ago,it was due to cold air for days and frozen ground and that didn't go away quickly... Frozen ground again, low off 17 when I woke up this morning, snow pack even with a lot of rain if it happens,won't erase the snow pack quickly out here, I see cold air coming down the river valley's in Connecticut, happens many times and does reinforce the cold on the north shore of eastern Suffolk in places.

Ok, when we had that big ice issue couple weeks ago,it was due to cold air for days and frozen ground and that didn't go away quickly... Frozen ground again, low off 17 when I woke up this morning, snow pack even with a lot of rain if it happens,won't erase the snow pack quickly out here, I see cold air coming down the river valley's in Connecticut, happens many times and does reinforce the cold on the north shore of eastern Suffolk in places.

You are right in that your snow pack won't be going anywhere, even with 1.00" of rain.  I would be concerned with some flooding, however, since the rainfall won't have anywhere to drain.

NYC and LI do NOT need a warning.

Please remove that. It's going to look ludicrous again.

This is a 1"-2 of slop storm followed by heavy rain.

Drop the warning.

Warning perhaps a bit overdone, but solid advisory criteria.  Snow will come in heavy...and there will be more than 1-2" of slop.  Probably 3-6".

Warning perhaps a bit overdone, but solid advisory criteria. Snow will come in heavy...and there will be more than 1-2" of slop. Probably 3-6".

Disagree. Rgem says 1" of slop followed by 1.25"-1.50" of heavy rain.

Icing threat is done also. That looked like a chance yesterday. Not on today's suite.

That's only if they believe this guidance (RGEM). Maybe they don't?

Sent from my iPhone

There is no guidance that supports anything more then 1"-3" of slop followed by a heavy and flooding rain fall.

And yes, the Rgem should be heavily weighted. 90% of their forecast should be using the Rgem.

DROP THE WARNINGS.

There is no guidance that supports anything more then 1"-3" of slop followed by a heavy and flooding rain fall.

And yes, the Rgem should be heavily weighted. 90% of their forecast should be using the Rgem.

DROP THE WARNINGS.

It's not as simple as that. They have issued them. The forecast discussion shows that the forecaster expects it to be a messy morning commute. The afternoon shift could decided they're not warranted, but, if they drop them and then a last second curveball happens, they are responsible to millions of people. It's very hard to drop warnings before an event once they are issued.

I'm not sure he was even serious; I never envisioned this getting this miserable, the problem is the system got too strong, the low track didn't go much further north from what it was 48 hours ago.

The high to the north is also not strong enough. We probably would've seen a strong CAD setup if the high was around 1040 mb or so. 

Archived