joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wasn't that hard to see coming once the north/warm trend started. Once that starts it very rarely reverses on these type of systems.

I think he was first though.  Beyond just the current storm, I find he throws out stuff that is worth thinking about.  Good stuff with little noise (most of the time :) ) Much better quality posts than the pages and pages of schizophrenic play by play and model misinterpretation that some others here indulge in.

This is the type of situation where I have seen freezing hang in way longer than expected many times.  These days I trust the models more than I used to, but to my eyes, they are not clear cut enough to declare this a done deal (despite the RGEM) with regard to duration of mixed precip on the north shore.  The ocean beaches may be toast, but 25 miles north is not as clear cut.

What I am seeing does not give me enough confidence to declare this will be a rain or icestorm.  Although I m leaning towards rain, its not with the same degree of conviction that I've just been reading in this thread.  And I do still think we get a good front end snowfall in line with what is still in the NWS forecast...4" or more.

All of Long Island and nyc are heavy snow at 2am HRRR... Really heavy band overhead during that time frame... Those only expecting 2-4" May be surprised

I've been saying 4"+ for 2 days b/c of the setup. It's not perfect but it can't be ignored. People that are thinking this is just a warm rain storm are going to be wrong IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's near the end of its range. See what it says around 8 pm.

Very similar to the euro tho, not something to ignore

And I don't buy Into the rap and HRRR having "ranges" they're a sim radar that run every hour so sample data is always refreshed and based off the previous hour, granted the odds of it being wrong are much higher as you approach the 10hr mark but i like them within 12hrs

Very similar to the euro tho, not something to ignore

And I don't buy Into the rap and HRRR having "ranges" they're a sim radar that run every hour so sample data is always refreshed and based off the previous hour, granted the odds of it being wrong are much higher as you approach the 10hr mark but i like them within 12hrs

I used to think the same thing and was told otherwise.....and have found that they truly do have a range in which they are much more accurate. They can make BIG changes from run to run and change much more often the further out the run is (especially past 10-12 hours)

Archived