joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temperatures have really warmed thus far, already 38 here and could get up to 40 which is several degrees above forecast.

don't focus so much on this, your dew points are still low, and temps have leveled off or even started to come down to the south.   Plenty of other things to sweat of course lol

For the purposes of a forecast and things like warnings, snow depth is way less important than frozen precip mass, which is all that really matters with regard to safety, travel, shoveling, etc.  The NWS doesn't do warnings based on prettiness of the snow, but on impact of the frozen precip, so 3" of snow and 1" of sleet (at at ~3:1 LE/sleet ratio) is the equivalent of 6" of snow at 10:1 with respect to mass and impact.  My only point is that with snow and sleet or snow, sleet and freezing rain, it's not about the depth for warnings, it's about the frozen mass - and freezing rain on top of frozen snow/sleet will add to that mass.  

So unless the changeover to plain rain occurs well before ~.6" of LE as frozen mass has fallen (which very well may occur, but is not indicated on the Euro for NYC down to about New Brunswick), I wouldn't expect them to back off on warnings.  I don't know this for sure, but I do a ton of emergency preparedness activities, including for our 4000 person site in Rahway for weather, and we consider frozen mass much more than snow depth and I would imagine the NWS does the same.  Will be interesting to see.  Here's what Mt. Holly just said (bold added by me).  I think their point is they'll wait until 4 pm at least, before making changes.  

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
A COLD FRONT IS DRAPED FROM INTERIOR NEW ENGLAND SOUTHWESTWARD TO
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA, THEN TO LOWER PRESSURE IN THE MID-MISSISSIPPI
VALLEY. THE WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A WELL DEFINED SHORT WAVE
DIGGING ACROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS AND THE MID-MISSISSIPPI VALLEY.
THIS FEATURE DOES LOOK MORE AMPLIFIED, WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN A
DOWNSTREAM NORTHWARD STORM TRACK OF THE SURFACE LOW. IT IS THIS
FEATURE THAT HAS BEEN VARYING SOME AND HAVING AN IMPACT ON THE STORM
TRACK AND RELATED THERMAL PROFILES ACROSS MUCH OF OUR REGION THE
LAST SEVERAL DAYS. IT DOES APPEAR THAT A WARMER SOLUTION WILL OCCUR,
HOWEVER NO CHANGES ARE BEING MADE ATTM TO THE PRECIPITATION TYPE
EVOLUTION IN OUR FORECAST OR THE ADVISORIES/WARNINGS.
THE 12Z NAM
WOULD SUGGEST THAT PHILADELPHIA IS MAINLY JUST RAIN AS THE BOUNDARY
LAYER WARMS ENOUGH. WE WILL AWAIT ADDITIONAL MODEL GUIDANCE BEFORE
MAKING CHANGES, HOWEVER THE WSW PRODUCT WAS RESENT TO MAKE SOME
ADJUSTMENTS TO THE GROUPINGS AND ADD SOME MORE INFORMATION.

Is there any way to make those images larger ? From that site they always seem to block out the NYC/NENJ metro areas so you can't see details. I've always used twister data for the RAP and/or wxbell, but I would love to use that site that you provided if higher quality close-ups are possible. Thanks Don

I was at an advisory 2-4" now im back up to 5-8"wsw... why?

Old Bridge was in a watch until 4 am, which was converted to a warning this morning at 4 am - had never been under an advisory, although I'll be very surprised if the warning isn't converted to an advisory at 4 pm, given the modeled warmth and lower snow/sleet/ZR predictions.  We'll see.  Old Bridge, by the Mt. Holly snowfall map and point/click is about 2-3" of snow, not 5-8".

Is there any way to make those images larger ? From that site they always seem to block out the NYC/NENJ metro areas so you can't see details. I've always used twister data for the RAP and/or wxbell, but I would love to use that site that you provided if higher quality close-ups are possible. Thanks Don

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of whether there is any way to enlarge the images. I agree that it would be helpful.

Nam has a better front end this run...2-4 then ice in nyc

I'm looking at the RAP on my phone on twister data (usually comp/wxbell), but judging by the precip maps and different temp maps, does it show 4"+ for the area before changing over? I'm possibly not seeing it right. Looks much improved to me

Euro has 2-4 for nyc before change over. Then back to light snow Monday afternoon

The potholes are going to get even bigger after the quick freeze tomorrow night.

Tomorrow will be tricky with the ponding of water during the day hiding the depth

of the holes.

Archived