joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For LI north shore, 0Z GFS is ~6" snow followed by a rainstorm. Not much concern with ice on this run.

You're going to see a ton of sleet and ice. You're snow pack is going to be impenetrable after this storm. I saw the snow out there the other day and it's very impressive. Add a nice layer if sleet and it's not going anywhere any time soon. Another great winter period on the way for the north shore of Suffolk

Not sure I buy it though, the RGEM would say the same but it's far out in it's range. I would be somewhat worried that NYC and northern Queens and Nassau don't go above 32 til after 15z

Sometimes the models are too quick to scoot out the low level cold air. There will be plenty of cold air around. I wonder if this storm turns out colder than modeled. It also depends on where the low tracks.

Sometimes the models are too quick to scoot out the low level cold air. There will be plenty of cold air around. I wonder if this storm turns out colder than modeled. It also depends on where the low tracks.

The problem is that winds switch around to ESE. Doesn't matter how cold the preceding air is or snowcover, that will take it over to rain. Guaranteed. The ocean is still well above freezing.

The problem is that winds switch around to ESE. Doesn't matter how cold the preceding air is or snowcover, that will take it over to rain. Guaranteed. The ocean is still well above freezing.

They won't switch around if there is a CAD signature, the NAM never flips winds at LGA. The only east winds they have are when it's snowing then they shift northeast

You will need another notable adjustment to the south to make more progress. It still looks like whatever falls before will get washed away regardless if models are correct.

That's if we even change to rain in the city. It's going to be close. I think we hover near freezing throughout the storm.

That's if we even change to rain in the city. It's going to be close. I think we hover near freezing throughout the storm.

The GFS now turns winds to 060 then 040 from 10-13Z, and of course it thinks it's 33/21 the entire time when it'll probably drop to 28 with evaporative cooling. I wouldn't feel comfortable on any call for a long period of FZRAPL til tomorrow but it's very possible.

You will need another notable adjustment to the south to make more progress. It still looks like whatever falls before will get washed away regardless if models are correct.

Even if temps go above freezing, it would only be slightly above freezing. Snow doesn't get washed away when it's that cold. It usually absorbs most of the rain when temps are only slightly above freezing. Then when the cold air rushes back in, the snowpack will be hard as a rock. It would have to be way above freezing to wash it away.

Archived