Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you going to put out a map mag?

With the way the models are performing, Mag might want to wait until after the storm to put out a map.  :beer:

Your on to me haha, actually I will be trying to start setting up a general idea of how I want the map with 0z guidance tonight and put it out in the morning before things get rolling. I'm still sticking with the idea that the low finds a way to sneak under PA or starts transferring to the coast before it gets too deep into PA. Rough idea of how my map will probably go with the current model situation is low or even sub advisory snows in the far SW corner of the state, general advisory level of 2-4 below the turnpike, 4-8 between the turnpike and 80, and 8-10 or 8-12 at and above the 80 corridor. 

Local radiational cooling making for a wide swing of temps tonight. I-99 which runs at a higher elevation between Altoona and Bellwood was at 22ºF when I was on it just a bit ago to come home. Temps plummeted all the way to 15ºF here at the house about a mile and a half west of the interstate. Pretty night out with the foot of snowpack and nearly full moon. 

NAM is fairly close to an ice event in LSV. Have to watch those surface Obs closely in this area. The ground is pretty cold from past 36 hours and tomorrow will be below freezing as well for pretty much all day. Just a few degrees colder and it could get ugly especially for valleys that trap cold longer. Just something to keep in mind.

I think the idea of a warm air intrusion at the mid levels is all but sealed now. The 2 big questions now are how long can the surface cold hold and what is the QPF situation. With the surface low and 850 low going north of the area, the best precip coinciding with the best isentropic lift will be across the northern tier, so precip intensity should be lower in the LSV, but a secondary enhancement of precip over the eastern half due to a energy transfer at coast could spur up and cause an increase in QPF over Lancaster, Lebanon and points further east. Will need to see how this plays out. Models tend to under predict surface cold and WAA, so I'd be watching pretty closely.

Behind the system, it looks like a great punch of CAA that will cause temps to plummet over all of PA. Tuesday morning will be incredibly cold throughout the Commonwealth and with fresh snow pack and winds out of N/NW will make temperatures in CPA dip near or below zero and the southern tier might be in for a flash freeze of any standing water on the surface. Interesting 48-72 ahead.

If anyone has anything to add or discuss, please feel free. Just got back from enjoying the Philly car show. Great time for anyone who loves automotives :)

17/9 in Millersville currently

Local radiational cooling making for a wide swing of temps tonight. I-99 which runs at a higher elevation between Altoona and Bellwood was at 22ºF when I was on it just a bit ago to come home. Temps plummeted all the way to 15ºF here at the house about a mile and a half west of the interstate. Pretty night out with the foot of snowpack and nearly full moon. 

It is a beautiful winter night.  The stars are very visible with a nice waxing moon.  Just got in.  Still 22 here in Altoona. Very calm out.  Hopefully its the calm before a heavy snowfall

I find the warmup really hard to believe, especially here in the valley.

the warmup is more aloft than necessarily at the surface, so the ice spectre is bigger issue than the regular rain, imho for you. but we will have time to see.

besides, as some in here are hinting, the warming trend aloft in the models with time seems to have stalled in its northwards ascent attm with the 00z runs on NAM, GFS, and Can-Regional. but the 500 vort maps seem to still have some slight differences, esp between the GEM-reg and the GFS.

6.5f here I agree that it is hard to imagine it changing over to rain.... If it does, it will be a mess

some of the grid output up there is suggesting that, but i'm thinking mixing at times with sleet and freezing rain, esp in mountaintop, Hazleton, and Shickshinny compared to up in scranton and Tunkhannock. 

Archived