joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the NAM slightly south or am I just seeing what I want to see?

It's definitely ticked south. Perhaps 20 to 30 miles with the band of heaviest snow. Helps UNV and IPT a good deal. Do that again with the 18Z run and the 00Z run...

Honestly, I am waiting for the Euro. The 00Z run had 100% of its 50 ensemble members with 100% snow for UNV. Ensemble mean of 8.1" at 10:1. I am not too worried about my backyard so long as the Euro hasn't caved. Even the American models show mostly snow with 850s only approaching freezing or above when the dry slot passes nearby. A little freezing drizzle on top of a 15 to 20" snow pack is no big deal.

Maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all the SREFs and the NAMs based on the new hi-res GFS forecasted boundary conditions? I don't know if I'd trust any American model until we figure out how the new GFS thinks. The 0Z Euro evolution makes a lot of sense to me with its Miller B transfer of energy off shore. Because of this transfer, the Euro never lets the 850 temperatures rise above -5C or so at UNV. And the extreme southern tier only barely gets above freezing for one frame.

I'm going to ignore the NAM and SREFs for now...

So basically, from the 00z suite, we have the Euro and Canadian vs. the GFS and UKMET. Hopefully the 12z suite has the GFS and UKMET trending towards the Euro and Canadian.

I hereby renounce my citizenship.

There. That should do it.

I'm going to ignore the NAM and SREFs for now...

So basically, from the 00z suite, we have the Euro and Canadian vs. the GFS and UKMET. Hopefully the 12z suite has the GFS and UKMET trending towards the Euro and Canadian.

Unfortunately this isn't happening...RGEM jumped north and it looks like the GFS will too.

Zoomed in county maps of NAM and GFS still show around 5 inches near MDT, with a few inches more just to the north. It won't take much of a shift south with the track, say just 50 miles, to make this much better for the LSV.

If ever we have believed in the difference 50 miles makes, we just had a perfect example last week.

The problem is that i think the storm last week was a lot more volatile - rapidly deepening storm where timing of a closed 500mb low changed the track.

Not sure that there is any feature to this where a big shift would occur. We can all dream of HP pressing down, snow pack in place, and an energy tranfer. But that might be weenie dreams

Archived