Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much for BGM being conservative...

• Sunday Snow likely, mainly after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Sunday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 22. Light east wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 8 inches.
  • Monday Snow, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all snow after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Wind chill values as low as -1. East wind 6 to 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of around 4 inches.

I find the warmup really hard to believe, especially here in the valley.

The warmup seems to be under way already. When I went to bed at 10pm last night it was 14 degrees. At midnight it must have gone up to 16 because that's my low for today (Sunday), and now, upon getting up this morning, I'm all the way up to a toasty 26 degrees at 5:30am.

The warmup seems to be under way already. When I went to bed at 10pm last night it was 14 degrees. At midnight it must have gone up to 16 because that's my low for today (Sunday), and now, upon getting up this morning, I'm all the way up to a toasty 26 degrees at 5:30am.

Temp 17; DP 9 here in York County...

Not much in the way of virga either this morning, at least not in western PA. Light snow showing on radar and those under are reporting snow. Air must be quite saturated, so I suppose we don't even get much in the way of radiational cooling with this one...

REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
500 AM EST SUN FEB 01 2015

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS
ERIE CLOUDY 29 21 72 CALM 30.16F
MEADVILLE LGT SNOW 25 19 78 S5 30.12S
FRANKLIN* CLOUDY 25 16 68 SW6 30.14S
NEW CASTLE LGT SNOW 26 24 92 CALM 30.17F FOG
BEAVER COUNTY NOT AVBL
BUTLER* CLOUDY 25 21 86 S3 30.17F
PITTSBURGH INT LGT SNOW 28 22 78 S3 30.16F
PITTSBURGH LGT SNOW 26 15 63 S7 30.16S
INDIANA* CLOUDY 25 19 80 SW6 30.20S
LATROBE MIX PCPN 28 21 74 S8 30.20S
WASHINGTON CO* CLOUDY 27 23 86 S3 30.19S

Looking at soundings for the NAM and GFS, on the NAM, my specific location is SO CLOSE to being an all snow event with the 850's just barely getting above 0c at hr27 through hr33. The GFS on the other hand torches, and at hr30 all levels from 850 on down to the surface are above 0c.

I think CTP is going to have a hard time verifying their first few tiers of warnings. Unless there's 0.25" of ice, the criteria won't be met from snow according to their snowfall map.

Although not worded as such, as they mention advisory criteria, the morning AFD hints at this...

WHILE THE FARTHER NORTH/WARMER SOLUTION WILL CUT DOWN THE SNOW

AMOUNTS IN THE CENTRAL ZONES...WARNING CRITERIA SNOWFALL IS

EXPECTED NORTH OF INTERSTATE 80. ADVY AND SUB ADVISORY SNOW

AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHERN THIRD OF CENTRAL PA...

BUT THE CHANCE FOR ICING IS ENOUGH TO WARRANT AT LEAST AN ADVY

FOR THEM.

Up to 27 here currently. I didn't expect to warm so quickly. I fully thought I'd be in the mid to upper teens at this point in time. I'm wondering though if temps will hold for most of the day or if they will continue to rise. If they continue to rise, I think the 6-8 that CTP is showing for me locally, might be toast.

Looks like NWS made another change.

Seems pretty reasonable. I think a Euro-like solution would be just about the upper limit here. There should be a nice burst of snow as the warm front moves through PA later tonight, before transitioning to IP/ZR. Snow growth looks pretty good into this evening, with the greatest forcing near the DGZ. As we get into the heavier precip and temperatures warm, there will probably be some large, wet aggregates, decreasing snow-liquid ratios.

I have pretty much thrown in the towel on this one.... im up to 31 already here....what looked like the biggest snowfall for the season for me 2 days ago has turned into a big disappointment....oh well such is life as a weather hobbyist.

Archived