• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

RAP has been pretty solidly showing this type of a snow map all afternoon. I'd offer up HRRR's take but it has been acting up more often than not since yesterday on the NOAA website. 

post-1507-0-50259800-1422825806_thumb.pn

I really don't know why you guys north and northeast are so down on this snow, chances are places like IPT and AVP are probably gonna end up with at least 5-6 inches of snow before we run into any temp (or QPF) issues later in the storm. 850 temps are still below freezing everywhere in PA (and well below freezing toward NE PA). 925 temps are also solidly below freezing in most of the state, with above zero just starting to intrude into the SW corner. Surface temps will correct in most of eastern Penn when heavier precip arrives... but the far southern tier might not end up with alot of QPF to build up any frozen on the front end. The top end of this storm's accum potential where it's all snow doesn't look as potent in this region (Northern Penn and Upstate NY) as it does in the Chicago region and in that part of the midwest. I don't think we'll see alot of amounts over 10" in aforementioned northern PA/NY regions. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps doing fine, snow sticking to everything, however radar upstream looks pretty bad.

CTP has been mentioning and accounting for a probable lull in precipitation in their AFD this afternoon.

.SHORT TERM /9 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 PM MONDAY/...

THE BEST PERIOD OF SNOW CONTINUES TO LOOK LIKE IT WILL BE BETWEEN

00-09Z WITH THE WORST OF IT ACROSS THE NRN HALF OF THE AREA. THE

WARM AIR ALOFT LOOKS TO MAKE IN-ROADS ALL THE WAY TO I-80 BY

SUNRISE MONDAY. THUS...THE ICING POTENTIAL IS STILL THERE. SO

WHILE THE SNOW AMOUNTS - ESPECIALLY IF YOU ONLY MEASURE IN THE

MORNING - WILL BE LOWER THAN PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED IN THE SRN HALF

OF THE AREA...THERE IS STILL SOME /WEAK/ JUSTIFICATION FOR HOLDING

ONTO THE WARNING ALONG THE RTE 22 CORRIDOR...FOR NOW.

THE QPF IS A MIXED-BAG OF SIGNALS RIGHT NOW. GFS AND EURO ARE

HOLDING ONTO 0.80 OR MORE IN THE NRN HALF OF THE AREA...WITH ONLY

REAL SNOW THERE. THE NAM AND THE SREF MEAN TOTALS THERE ARE ONLY

ABOUT 0.50. WILL CONTINUE WITH THE PARTY LINE OF 8-10 FOR A STORM

TOTAL...BUT REWORKED THE NUMBERS DOWN BARELY AN INCH ON THE WHOLE

SO THE TERRIBLE DARK BLUE OF 10-14 DOES NOT HIT PEOPLE IN THE

FACE. AGAIN...JUST HALF AN INCH TO AN INCH OF A DOWNWARD MOVE ON

THE SNOW. THIS IS DUE TO THE RELATIVELY HIGH UNCERTAINTY AT THIS

RANGE. STILL LOOKS LIKE A SOLID WARNING ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT UP

FOR OUR ENTIRE NRN HALF. SOME PRETTY WICKED SF RATES WILL BE HAD

OVERNIGHT AND VERY EARLY MONDAY IN THE NORTH AND PERHAPS AS FAR S

AS STATE COLLEGE AND SUNBURY BUT MOST LIKELY - THE HEAVIEST SNOW

WILL BE JUST TO THE NORTH OF THOSE TWO CITIES.

Up to 1.8" now for the storm so far, moderate snow continues. Temp 29F. 

Gonna be hitting up a super bowl party for a bit this evening, so probably won't be saying too much for awhile. Still couldn't resolve the issues with the software I use to generate my map, so I direct you to my earlier post with the rough accum layout.

Well it figures that I would go to generate the numbers to display on my map and I keep getting an error preventing me from doing so, so while if see if I can resolve it before the darn storm is well on it's way (and it's already been snowing here), I'm going to have to give a general take of what it was gonna show.

6-12" above I-80 statewide using a 12:1 ratio (raw generated numbers had a max of of about 10"). Obviously amounts will be low side of the range near I-80 and increase north.

4-7ish using (10:1) in the central counties between I-80 and the US 22 corridor... and between I-80 and I-78 in eastern Penn.

2-4" inches using mostly 8:1 running the turnpike corridor and a bit south of it in central/eastern PA (KAOO, KMDT, Lancaster, York, etc.)

1-2" using (8:1) near the MD border in Central/Eastern PA (SE PA in the Philly region as well)

T-2" in SW PA, 2-4" in the Pittsburgh metro (generally 2 or so  in the southern burbs and downtown and up to 4 in the northern burbs).

Thats the rough take, now let me see if I can get my map to work haha. 

Have around 100% snow cover in my back yard by the woods while the front of the property is spotty around 50%.  Most of the snow cover in the valley and looking south has disappeared.  Photos courtesy of a drone.  36 degrees here and doing nothing.  We had some flurries earlier. 

post-1187-0-44684000-1422829509_thumb.jp

post-1187-0-56495100-1422829529_thumb.jp

Have around 100% snow cover in my back yard by the woods while the front of the property is spotty around 50%. Most of the snow cover in the valley and looking south has disappeared. Photos courtesy of a drone. 36 degrees here and doing nothing. We had some flurries earlier.

No bare spots here

-SN...hoping for a 4-6" deal and then maybe precip lightens or shuts off before the taint begins in earnest.

MAG I still see you around. I know you poked at us NEPA people before...I just don't know with how far north this has come and the fact that SWFEs tend to verify even more north than modeling. Everything has us changing to rain now.

Archived