CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure does. Maybe a touch slower as well.

Slower is exactly the problem with this. The slower it goes, the more time it has to strengthen and advect warm air ahead of it. The slower models have been the warmer ones, and the trend has been to slow it down ever since yesterday.

The NAM has been pretty inconsistent in the last couple of runs -- at least by my reckoning.  On the other hand, this latest (18z) solution is in line with the trends of some of the other models (notably the GFS op and many of its ensemble members).  Yet, the Euro has been relatively consistent the last few runs and doesn't, at least as much, portray this warming/slowing trend.  

Obviously, the 0z guidance will be critical.  Of course, by then, we will be starting to get into the time frame in which observations upstream will be of greater import than the models.  

With all of that said, if you like snow and live in the southern third of the Commonwealth, it's seeming pretty likely that you will be somewhat disappointed.  And, if you live in the middle third, like I do, you're going to be tearing hair out of your head.  

abc27 says c-2" State College south, less than 1" 

Huh?  In addition to being good friends with one of the forecasters there, I see an image on their Facebook page, posted 10 minutes ago, that shows State College near the boundary between 5-8" and 8-11", 2-5" for Lewistown, Altoona, and Newport, and C-2" in the LSV.  

Huh? In addition to being good friends with one of the forecasters there, I see an image on their Facebook page, posted 10 minutes ago, that shows State College near the boundary between 2-5" and 8-11", 5-8" for Lewistown, Altoona, and Newport, and C-2" in the LSV.

Did my eyes fail me? They said on the station break 1" but the map looked like 2" around State College. I see the map and must've misread the TV.

Edit: I meant no disrespect for 27, they do a prety good job and I agree completely with their forecast. This storm looks over for us down here to be much of anything. hopefully PSUHazelton can get his this time.

Did my eyes fail me? They said on the station break 1" but the map looked like 2" around State College. I see the map and must've misread the TV.

Edit: I meant no disrespect for 27, they do a prety good job and I agree completely with their forecast. This storm looks over for us down here to be much of anything. hopefully PSUHazelton can get his this time.

this is what i found..correct?

B8tKincCMAAbeBm.png

I don't know if it's just wishful thinking at this point... but with the level of dry air currently overhead, our history with over running, and the way the water vapor imagery looks I can still see that snow/mixing line south of what NAM and GFS are indicating.  What bothers me is how the UKMET has not wavered from a north track all week and based on surface maps the high over Canada looks to be north and behind of what models had for this afternoon/early evening.

Well, the GFS snow map still looks decent for the area. Let's hope it, and not the

NAM, comes closer to verifying.

Funny how after 12z I was dreading the GFS and now after that NAM run it suddenly doesn't look too awful. lol

Many mets have thrown out the NAM fwiw and the Euro ensembles support the OP.

My biggest concern was/is the UKMET, it's a very under the radar model but I definitely have found it useful before...

Archived