• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

They've been having some boring times overall even so. that western ridge is a pain in the arse.

2 nice storms here with cold week to follow. other than that it has been yes very boring and very warm out west with near record low snow packs. Still not missing the stream of tease you guys are having. Lived there for 47 years with so many disappointments.. makes the years with HEC's all the more memorable.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro snow map is particularly nauseating. Draw a line at 40 N from the Atlantic to the Midwest. Virtually everywhere north of that line shows 6+ inches of snow. Breadcrumbs in northern MD.

MDstorm

Ehh, tons and tons of sleet and freezing rain in spots after an initial few inches of snow Philly and north. Changes to rain on the immediate coast and heat islands instead of the freezing rain. I-90 from Buffalo to Boston and south 50 miles or so from there get the real snow. Par for the course in these SWFE systems. The last week has been Boston's wheelhouse and it looks to continue. And from experience, once that train leaves, it doesn't stop until Easter.  

I will check back in tomorrow and give it one last go before closing the file cabinet.

You guys took the early March storms that were supposed to hit NYC and the I-80 corridor last year, so I guess consider this some kind of payback? Nothing worse than suppression, at least you get something when the storm hits you, even if it's rain. 

The confluence looks very transient and on the move, so it's no surprise this is trending north. 

You guys took the early March storms that were supposed to hit NYC and the I-80 corridor last year, so I guess consider this some kind of payback? Nothing worse than suppression, at least you get something when the storm hits you, even if it's rain.

The confluence looks very transient and on the move, so it's no surprise this is trending north.

Payback?

Ehh, tons and tons of sleet and freezing rain in spots after an initial few inches of snow Philly and north. Changes to rain on the immediate coast and heat islands instead of the freezing rain. I-90 from Buffalo to Boston and south 50 miles or so from there get the real snow. Par for the course in these SWFE systems. The last week has been Boston's wheelhouse and it looks to continue. And from experience, once that train leaves, it doesn't stop until Easter.  

ouch. I get 2 and a half inches for the season then, worst winter on record, never finished a winter under 4 inches. At this rate BOS will get 300 inches by late May, maybe 400 inches of snow. They'll beat out Jay Peak lmao, they will end up 1000 percent of climo.

So we will see mostly rain but with polar shots for the next month. G-d what a mess, what a wretched pattern.

I wish Boston all the snow they can handle, but they are gonna have a HARD time tryin' to figure out where to put all that snow. I'll cheer on their snow, but its gonna be entertaining to read about 'em fightin' over parking spaces and tryin' to shovel snow with broken backs. Too bad they dont have The Jebman. I got my own challenges here in the Mid Atlantic, wading thru mud in my backyard every day lol.

They are going to have so much snow in New England we might have to start calling that place Eastern Canada.

February in northern Virginia looks to be even rainier than January was, if thats possible.

And I'm a real life Meteorologist lol. Look at models all day in AWIPS then come home and look at models and hang out with you guys. Been an absolute weather fanatic since I was a youngster. You have to be a nut to survive all the physics and calculus lol

And..... the Diffy-Q, Laplace Transforms, Optimization Techniques, Non-linear, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and all the other junk I presume Pro Mets take.  My whole goal in life since knee high to a duck was to be a Met.  That went south in my sophomore year in college for a variety of reasons, so I became an engineer, either by education or curse.  But I never let the interest die. 

Built my first weather station from a Heath Kit in the 6th grade, second one a few years later.  Lived overseas in 6 different countries and always kept track with the forums back here (once the Internet because a common thing) while experiencing some of the greatest feats mother nature has to offer, from dust storms in India, torrential monsoons in Thailand, to 60+ feet of snow in Japan at Zao, to white outs in Switzerland so bad one could literally not see the tips of your skis. 

Tis a supernatural curse we all share that those who don't possess it can hardly contemplate.  Would any of us have it any other way?  Now, if we can just get a single, god forsaken simple setup that all models converge on from 5 days out and sticks with it to serve up 4+ inches of snow for the entire MA region, so everyone can restore some sense of reliable model based predictability and our own sanity....  

And..... the Diffy-Q, Laplace Transforms, Optimization Techniques, Non-linear, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and all the other junk I presume Pro Mets take. My whole goal in life since knee high to a duck was to be a Met. That went south in my sophomore year in college for a variety of reasons, so I became an engineer, either by education or curse. But I never let the interest die.

Built my first weather station from a Heath Kit in the 6th grade, second one a few years later. Lived overseas in 6 different countries and always kept track with the forums back here (once the Internet because a common thing) while experiencing some of the greatest feats mother nature has to offer, from dust storms in India, torrential monsoons in Thailand, to 60+ feet of snow in Japan at Zao, to white outs in Switzerland so bad one could literally not see the tips of your skis.

Tis a supernatural curse we all share that those who don't possess it can hardly contemplate. Would any of us have it any other way? Now, if we can just get a single, god forsaken simple setup that all models converge on from 5 days out and sticks with it to serve up 4+ inches of snow for the entire MA region, so everyone can restore some sense of reliable model based predictability and our own sanity....

Cool story thanks for sharing.

We don't need you coming down here telling us what payback is and why storms trend north. Most of us are well versed in the how and whys. Wtf made you saunter in here to give us a lesson on transient confluence and opine on ideas of payback? We don't need schooling from you. Run along now.

Are the north forums gloating? I call unsportsmanlike conduct for this superbowl storm

If anyone is gloating, it would likely be in their own sub-forum, so why would it bother you? As for me, I do go to other forums for a wider variety of opinions. You'll never see me be rude and gloat in one of them though, as it's not right.

Side note...I wish this would have been one of the rare storms that would have given EVERYONE a good hit.

If anyone is gloating, it would likely be in their own sub-forum, so why would it bother you? As for me, I do go to other forums for a wider variety of opinions. You'll never see me be rude and gloat in one of them though, as it's not right.

Side note...I wish this would have been one of the rare storms that would have given EVERYONE a good hit.

We don't get those anymore..not since the -NAO became extinct.

disappointing winter so far and were into feb now, guess those forecasts for a "rocking feb" due to el nino will now be tested. Not much changes in MA winter to winter.Dont hold much stock in modeling more than 3 days out. History has a way of repeating itself. You get used to being happy with what you get. Time teaches you that. I,m 66!! Wes is about my age too.Wise man he is, have talked to him briefly, very classly, very smart, very nice gentleman!!

What in the f*ck is wrong with you?

To the point I made earlier, the algorithms and mathematics that these models run on doesn't change from run to run. For a united shift as we saw last night, it had to have been updated data. As to Bobs point about a clustering of ens mems being nw, there must have been one player in this storm that is so vital that just a small change ion its parameters made all the difference. We got the "change" we didn't want. I'm curious what that might have been. Was it the ns energy? Was it poorly sampled early because it was over the pacific? Just curious.

The northern stream vort was a little stronger. The other features are about the same but with a shallow trough that's a little too far west the minute the models picked up on the storm developing further north and stronger it was over.

What would you call it for someone who lived up north last year and watched all those storms trend south, and now lives down here and watches then trend north?

Well the last few pages were very helpful to read. Trolling from others, people's college stories and more complaining. Great discussion guys

Well said....theres 15 min of my life that i'll never get back....

It is what it is and I'm stunned that those in the mid atlantic (including myself) are surprised.  As much as i want the snow, I cant wish it here, and we have no mechanics to hold the cold and never willin these areas (short of CAD situations).  Based on the pattern were in, were not far away from something decent and should be happy at that, and should consider any appreciable snow a gift until things line up better.  Most here should know that. The pattern is what it is, and living here all 45 years of my life (except college), It's become rather predictable as to how things play out in our region.  If you dont like it....move, but stop pissin and moaning about it.  Your all better than that and while I may not posses the knowledge of some here, I do have wisdom of my years, and half a sense about me.    

Chins up gang....

Archived