joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1/2 Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We only got like .3" on 1/30/10.. and not to go back to ratios because that's a short range conversation when we're not seeing random QPF hits IMO.. but we don't need .7" liquid to do well in a cold event. As you know of course. 

exactly...a weaker 0.3" QPF storm probably still gives us a good chance at 4"+....

exactly...a weaker 0.3" QPF storm probably still gives us a good chance at 4"+....

GFS still seems like it's printing out close to a top end event in this setup. Definitely possible but I'd probably be in the it might go south crowd myself for now. But that's not necessarily horrible for us... 

GFS still seems like it's printing out close to a top end event in this setup. Definitely possible but I'd probably be in the it might go south crowd myself for now. But that's not necessarily horrible for us... 

But you can expect us Balt north worriers to troll the threads worrying about it if it trends that way...just like 1/30/10 all over again...

you're assuming we want that. Given the setup I'm way more worried about a miss south then rain. Given my location might influence that. But I expected a south shift. Now just hope it doesn't keep going that way.

Always a concern here but somehow things usually work out. I didn't look at the GGEM but on the GFS anfd Euro precip spreads into the area from the west so a miss is less likely than if we are waiting for the precip to come up from the south. We still managed 4 inches on 1/30/10 when things looked rather bleak 24 hours before.

you're assuming we want that. Given the setup I'm way more worried about a miss south then rain. Given my location might influence that. But I expected a south shift. Now just hope it doesn't keep going that way.

Exactly......and today isn't the first time this has been talked about.

But you can expect us Balt north worriers to troll the threads worrying about it if it trends that way...just like 1/30/10 all over again...

Well that event isn't necessarily an analog.. I was writing about it last night and just realized the 500mb pass is similar. Overall this year there's been a south trend even without blocking though. I'm not sure there are any real trends yet though it seems the western option is largely off the table. 

Well that event isn't necessarily an analog.. I was writing about it last night and just realized the 500mb pass is similar. Overall this year there's been a south trend even without blocking though. I'm not sure there are any real trends yet though it seems the western option is largely off the table. 

There has been a south trend with cold systems going back to last year once past the big Feb. storm. All 3 March storms went south but still manged to get decent snow up into PA. Oddly enough when we had all the blocking in 2010 most system keep coming north in the end.

We only got like .3" on 1/30/10.. and not to go back to ratios because that's a short range conversation when we're not seeing random QPF hits IMO.. but we don't need .7" liquid to do well in a cold event. As you know of course.

that storm isn't remembered so fondly everywhere. Heavy bands stalled just to my south. Only got 1-2" up here. South definitely worries me more then amped. Throw an amped up qpf bomb up into a cold air mass with a -nao and let's see how that works. I've seen suppressed crap not work out plenty. I'm mecs hunting here. No more 1-3" crap.

I don't see why that's a good analog.  Maybe at 5h.  My recollection is that the surface was completely different.

Well those are 500mb analogs as most are. Surface isn't the same but I don't know if I'd call it completely different. Regardless.. they all have 1/29/2003 as the top one and that period didn't do anything at DCA at least. ;)

Interesting that last event fit in with a Nino year and we see Nino analogs here maybe. 

Archived