joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far the 0z Euro, the 0z NAVGEM, the 6z GFS, and the DGEX (bigtime) have the Feb 25-26 storm holding its own, even attempting to close off (the dgex and I believe the GFS actually does it and thus the stronger low).

I really like this one.. at least for now!  At long as this s/w can keep from getting sheared out it's likely to be a significant storm for many folks.  The position of the HP this time is opposite from Monday's event where the high is entering rather than exiting off the coast.  

If the system retains enough separation from the polar jet that will allow HP to nose it from the west over top of it to inject enough cold air to keep it an all-frozen event.  From then on, it would only get colder as the event progresses.

The cold will be no problem, espeacilly Tues Wed in NC, that's a giving. In fact Monday will struggle to get to 40 or 41 here. So I really hope we can get some moisture one of those days. If you want to gamble big dog, then end of week is where you throw the chips. Moisture will be a whole lot easier to come by, but while the cold looks like it should be there, it's not a lock like it is Tues into Wed.

It's the energy over the SW to watch.  That's the dgex storm. ;)

The GFS and now the Euro have been slowly strengthening the h5 low for several runs now, more so the GFS,  but the Euro was close last night.  The GFS even cut it off...just compare the changes from yesterdays 12z to this mornings 6z...

post-2311-0-78007000-1424531852_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-35484300-1424531855_thumb.pn

The GFS and now the Euro have been slowly strengthening the h5 low for several runs now, more so the GFS,  but the Euro was close last night.  The GFS even cut it off...just compare the changes from yesterdays 12z to this mornings 6z...

Exactly..  This is the kind of setup that gives us our big ones.  A potent southern wave that closes off as it moves into the deep south with confluence building overhead.  Good timing with the anniversary of the Feb 26, 2004 storm coming up.

That 996 low over SAV on the dgex is mouth-watering.  LOL

The GFS and now the Euro have been slowly strengthening the h5 low for several runs now, more so the GFS, but the Euro was close last night. The GFS even cut it off...just compare the changes from yesterdays 12z to this mornings 6z...

Yeah huge changes pack. Exactly what the WPC was talking about in their LR disco about the energy not properly being handled that stormsfury posted on here. We will continue to see big changes but I'm all-in on this system. The storm I was 100% sure would cut gave us a ton of IP and ice so nothing is off the table this week. This one just feels right to me given the look. It will be interesting to see RAH's updated AFD with the new model runs.

Yeah huge changes pack. Exactly what the WPC was talking about in their LR disco about the energy not properly being handled that stormsfury posted on here. We will continue to see big changes but I'm all-in on this system. The storm I was 100% sure would cut gave us a ton of IP and ice so nothing is off the table this week. This one just feels right to me given the look. It will be interesting to see RAH's updated AFD with the new model runs.

Agreed!  I am definitely weary of anything after this Friday, heights are rising in the east, but we will worry about that later. This definitely is the best chance at some snow this week, plus it's getting into that 4 day window.  Also, this has a chance to miss us to the SE, great opportunity for places south of us.

The UK is interesting for the Monday deal, it has wave forming on Monday night into Tuesday morning and has central/eastern NC/SC with 3-6".  Plenty cold too.  It then, just like the Euro/GFS has the SLP tracking just off the SE coast and clips eastern NC on Thursday morning.  

As for the Monday deal it's a cold chasing moisture scenario, we need the UK solution where the cold is already entrenched, just like last week the UK led the way and slow the other models are moving towards that.  Will see if it's right, might not be till tonight/tomorrows runs before that is nailed down as a threat or not.

It's funny how we haven't mentioned one thing that we'd usually be clamoring for.. a -NAO. LOL. Usually at this stage in the game it's a more important feature but this winter, as with last winter, the Pacific has made up for it.

I'm not sure we'll ever see one of those in winter again. We're going to have to make do without it.

Exactly.. This is the kind of setup that gives us our big ones. A potent southern wave that closes off as it moves into the deep south with confluence building overhead. Good timing with the anniversary of the Feb 26, 2004 storm coming up.

That 996 low over SAV on the dgex is mouth-watering. LOL

I thought we want the Miller A low to be weak? Larry says that's how we get most of our bigger snows, a 1002-12 low across the gulf and through SGa?

It's funny how we haven't mentioned one thing that we'd usually be clamoring for.. a -NAO. LOL. Usually at this stage in the game it's a more important feature but this winter, as with last winter, the Pacific has made up for it.

I BET that we will have a rock star winter in 2016, like we did in 2002-2003! We are LONG overdue. Law of averages!

12z says Wed/Thurs a no go. Just slides south out to sea...however behind it some energy is hot on it's tails. 

Wasn't slightly weaker with the s/w, but it's still there.  I'm satisfied.  It's a small scale feature so it's expected the medium range models are going to lose its focus of it in this range.  Looks like it may honk on the next wave but I fear too much phasing as the ridge builds into AK and the polar energy falls back.

The GFS is exactly where we want it right now... this storm reminds me a lot of January 2011. That was a straight up southern upper level low that ejected east and got sheared out as it rolled over spewing out plenty of moisture for a big snow here.

yep, key part is that it is showing that low pop in the gulf within 96 hrs or so, plenty of runs left to go.

yep, key part is that it is showing that low pop in the gulf within 96 hrs or so, plenty of runs left to go.

Yea, let's not forget that 96hrs out from the event this week, all of the Virginia guys were moaning and groaning about not getting anything and they wound up getting  the jackpot!

Archived