joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the GGEM is a legit NC/NW SC crusher. Late-bloomer like last March, but a nice one. Fluffy for us WNC folks, too.

Didn't see that coming.  Thought it was going stay south put managed to pull it out.  The Feb 26-28 storm is still on.  Good to see the GFS keeping it there but suppressed for now.  If the Euro blows this one up, I'm in.

Well, the Euro is really, really close to a real bomb for NC/upstate SC at D5.  Decent track, really, but the precip shield isn't very extensive.

Needless to say, a big departure from last run...  Yeah.

Extremely close.  Just a tad stronger s/w and that would tip the balance there.  Looking at the 500mb map at 120, that would be a potent storm.  The HP needs to move in a little faster however.

6z DGEX only gives us 35-40" on the day 5 event. We toss, nothing short of 40".

The day 5 deal is a pure southern h5 low. Since the pac ridge is gone there is nothing to drop down and phase with it, unless the PV drops down, not likely. With that said the h5 low has been trending stronger and stronger, the 6z GFS actually shows a closed low day 4'ish. Just need the h5 low to stay strong.

The day 5 deal is a pure southern h5 low. Since the pac ridge is gone there is nothing to drop down and phase with it, unless the PV drops down, not likely. With that said the h5 low has been trending stronger and stronger, the 6z GFS actually shows a closed low day 4'ish. Just need the h5 low to stay strong.

It looks like a lot of the Euro ensemble members have a precip field similar to the DGEX, cold air looks marginal though.  Hopefully, if the surface low takes a perfect track, we can squeak out enough cold air for a snowstorm.

Post the map. It's not going to happen, but post it so we can at least dream a little.

That's exactly why I'm so excited about it. Not having to depend on a phase or northern energy, just a straight up vort trucking east. It also gives me hope that the models have often been too quick to sheer out the energy coming east or weaken it to fast. If we can get that baby to pop a closed low possibly two contour 12+ inches would not be out of the question for many.

Wow looking over last night's runs and now 6z day five looks legit. Will not be shocked to see it trend in our favor.

GFS  operational has trended stronger with the Feb 26-27 storm.  All of the models have the storm with varying degrees of strength, and thus position.  I like the trend.

The 500mb map from the DGEX looks very reasonable with a closed off low trekking across the south  (ignore its qpf output obviously):

HlobgLu.gif

GFS  operational has trended stronger with the Feb 26-27 storm.  All of the models have the storm with varying degrees of strength, and thus position.  I like the trend.

The 500mb map from the DGEX looks very reasonable with a closed off low trekking across the south  (ignore its qpf output obviously):

So no 50 inches for us?  :lmao:

In all seriousness though I really like the look of this on the models. Plus we are now 5 days away so models should start getting a handle on things. If 12z suite has this I'm all in. 

12z NAM shows some Winter weather for NC on Monday

Sent from my iPhone

Yea not far off...not sure what I think about the temp profiles though. I don't really see anything to cool us off to the point of snow unless rates are really heavy. 

edited -- didn't see that 1044 high dropping down just at the right time. That will need to be watched obviously. 

Archived