joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of that is sleet for SC once you get south of 20 but west of 95. East of 95 you get into the freezing rain which goes all the way to the coast from Myrtle to just south of Georgetown.

Yuck! So that looks like a snow-IP mix in Central NC?

Here's the GFS clown map courtesy of Tropical Tidbits.

gfs_asnow_seus_35.png

Yuck! So that would be a snow to IP event for central NC?

Most of that is sleet for SC once you get south of 20 but west of 95. East of 95 you get into the freezing rain which goes all the way to the coast from Myrtle to just south of Georgetown.

Looks like the upstate and Charlotte area prob changes over to sleet at the end, but this far out there are going to be major changes still.  2m temps look great though.  Low to mid 20's.

GEM event looks similar to the GFS event just it is a day and a half quicker. 

GEM was even better looking...but yeah, much like the GFS, it digs a large trough into the southwest which brings out the gulf low.  The UKMet wasn't too far off of the GFS and GEM, but it didn't dig the big trough as far southwest, so the gulf low was flatter and quicker with weak low well off Daytona Beach at 12z Fri.  Let's see where the Euro goes

Currently, where is the energy that is responsible for the Tuesday system (or lack of system)?

I don't specifically know but stumbled on this last night. Great read which might partially explain some of the model fails this season.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1255 AM EST FRI FEB 20 2015

VALID 12Z MON FEB 23 2015 - 12Z FRI FEB 27 2015

...RELENTLESS COLD TO CONTINUE IN THE EAST...

...OVERVIEW...

THE IMPRESSIVE COLD SPELL IS EXPECTED TO LARGELY CONTINUE NEXT

WEEK OVER THE EASTERN THIRD OF THE CONUS WITH YET ANOTHER CHANCE

OF A COASTAL STORM FOR NEW ENGLAND. THE WESTERN STATES SHOULD BE

RELEASED FROM THE GRIP OF THE RIDGE AS IT RETROGRADES INTO THE NE

PACIFIC ALONG 150W.

...GUIDANCE ASSESSMENT AND PREFERENCES...

THE RIDGE/TROUGH/RIDGE UPPER PATTERN THAT ALIGNS OVER THE NE

PACIFIC/EASTERN CONUS/ATLANTIC... RESPECTIVELY... SHOWS LITTLE

SIGN OF MOVING BUT SHOULD THROW IN SOME CURVE BALLS DURING THE

MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD. THE GEFS/ECMWF ENSEMBLES REMAIN IN GOOD

AGREEMENT WHILE THE CANADIAN ENSEMBLES WERE QUICKER WITH ENERGY

DIVING THROUGH CENTRAL CANADA AND INTO THE GREAT LAKES AND

NORTHEAST MON-WED. BY NEXT THUR-FRI... BETTER RELATIVE AGREEMENT

IS SEEN EAST OF THE DIVIDE WITH NORTHERN STREAM-DOMINATED

TROUGHING EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI WHILE THE WEST SHOULD SEE

/MOSTLY/ SOUTHERN STREAM-DOMINATED TROUGHING THAT WILL BE

COMPLICATED BY HOW ENERGY RUNS UP AND OVER THE RIDGE FROM THE

CENTRAL AND NORTHERN PACIFIC. BEST BET FOR THE WESTERN STATES

WOULD BE AN ENSEMBLE COMPROMISE GIVEN THE TIMING/AMPLITUDE

DIFFERENCES AMONG THE DETERMINISTIC MODELS.

IN THE EAST... FOCUS WILL BE ON INTERACTION BETWEEN INCOMING

NORTHERN STREAM ENERGY WITH POTENTIAL SFC WAVE DEVELOPMENT OFF THE

SE COAST TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY. GEFS/ECMWF ENSEMBLES HAVE TRENDED

TOWARD A MORE DEFINED SYSTEM NEAR THE 40N/70W BENCHMARK BY

WEDNESDAY AS THE NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH POTENTIALLY DIGS THROUGH

THE OHIO VALLEY AND SWINGS INTO NEW ENGLAND LATE WEDNESDAY. GIVEN

THE PARADE OF SYSTEMS THAT SEEM TO GRAVITATE TOWARD THE GULF OF

MAINE OVER THE LAST MONTH... THIS CERTAINLY SEEMS TO FIT THE BILL.

ECMWF/UKMET ARE MOST AGGRESSIVE WITH SUCH A DEVELOPMENT WHILE

RECENT GFS RUNS WERE WEAK/SUPPRESSED AND OUT TO SEA WIDE RIGHT.

THE CANADIAN LIED SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE. 12Z/19 ECMWF WAS ON THE

WESTERN/DEEPER SIDE OF THE ENSEMBLE SPREAD -- WHICH HAS BEEN THE

CASE IN RECENT STORMS -- BUT SHOULD NEITHER BE DISCOUNTED NOR

TAKEN AT FACE VALUE. -SOME OF THE INCIPIENT ENERGY FOR THIS

POTENTIAL SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY NORTH OF WRANGEL ISLAND -- 71N/179W

-- WHERE THE MODELS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR MISHANDLING THESE POTENTIAL

VORTICITY ANOMALIES.-

BY NEXT THURSDAY/FRIDAY... TROUGHING SHOULD SUPPORT A SYSTEM

DROPPING THROUGH THE WEST WITH COLD CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE IN THE

EAST.

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

TWO MORE COLD WAVES WILL AFFECT THE CENTRAL/EASTERN STATES... THE

FIRST ON MONDAY AND THE SECOND ON WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY. THESE SHOULD

MOSTLY SPARE THE SOUTHEAST/FLORIDA BUT RATHER FOCUS ON THE OH

VALLEY AND GREAT LAKES INTO THE NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC.

TEMPERATURES 25-35F BELOW AVERAGE ARE VERY POSSIBLE GIVEN THE

DEPTH OF THE COLD RELATIVE TO THE TIME OF YEAR. IN BETWEEN THESE

COLD SHOTS WILL BE THE POSSIBLE NORTHEASTERN STORM... WITH ONE OR

MAYBE A VARIETY OF PRECIPITATION TYPES POSSIBLE DEPENDING ON THE

TRACK.

PRECIPITATION WILL AGAIN BE ON THE INCREASE FOR THE PAC NW INTO

THE INTERIOR AND GREAT BASIN LATE NEXT WEEK IN RESPONSE TO DIGGING

TROUGHING. AMOUNTS ARE FORECAST TO BE RELATIVELY LIGHT DUE TO ITS

NORTHERLY ORIGINS. TEMPERATURES WILL TREND FROM JUST ABOVE AVERAGE

TO NEAR AVERAGE WITH THE LOSS OF THE UPPER RIDGE.

FRACASSO

That 12Z GFS 2/27-8 is a major IP/ZR event for the ATL-AHN corridor with 0.75"-1" of qpf. A big mess if it verified!

Larry, you on the coast?  Or Dunwoody?  Did you see anything frozen this last go round as I know you were up there then?  I'm seeing snow at the boarder now, so that's my cue to look outside later :)  Be nice to see a flake again, with more chances coming!  I got to ten two nights running, which is saying something most winters, on one monitor anyway.  Last night it was 10, 11, and 12 for the three.  Not bad at all with moisture running underneath.  One of these days one will hit.  T

Larry, you on the coast?  Or Dunwoody?  Did you see anything frozen this last go round as I know you were up there then?  I'm seeing snow at the boarder now, so that's my cue to look outside later :)  Be nice to see a flake again, with more chances coming!  I got to ten two nights running, which is saying something most winters, on one monitor anyway.  Last night it was 10, 11, and 12 for the three.  Not bad at all with moisture running underneath.  One of these days one will hit.  T

Dunwoody. I'm glad you're not giving up on a nice sleetstorm for next week! It is quite possible imo. Very cold Feb/Nino combo equals a win usually. Keep hope alive.

The models have been showing a day 6-7 potential for several days now and it keeps getting pushed back.  The pattern clearly is going to collapse day 9 (next Saturday) so anything around then will probably cut as heights are rising in the east.  Good news is that if/when the potential day 6-7 event falls through that will be it for a while, if not till next winter.  So if your holding out hope for something next weekend, it ain't happening, atleast in the SE.  We would need something to happen Wed-Friday for a suppressed event and that is looking more and more unlikely by the day.  I would think by Sunday afternoon we will have a clue whether Wed-Friday has a chance, if not, we can look forward to more seasonal temps next weekend and beyond and that will be that for majority outside of the north-west NC/SC/GA.

post-2311-0-23182500-1424457177_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-25949200-1424457272_thumb.pn

The models have been showing a day 6-7 potential for several days now and it keeps getting pushed back. The pattern clearly is going to collapse day 9 (next Saturday) so anything around then will probably cut as heights are rising in the east. Good news is that if/when the potential day 6-7 event falls through that will be it for a while, if not till next winter. So if your holding out hope for something next weekend, it ain't happening, atleast in the SE. We would need something to happen Wed-Friday for a suppressed event and that is looking more and more unlikely by the day. I would think by Sunday afternoon we will have a clue whether Wed-Friday has a chance, if not, we can look forward to more seasonal temps next weekend and beyond and that will be that for majority outside of the north-west NC/SC/GA.

So just to be clear your saying everything keeps getting pushed back yet your taking a pattern collapse as gospel

Ok......

The models have been showing a day 6-7 potential for several days now and it keeps getting pushed back.  The pattern clearly is going to collapse day 9 (next Saturday) so anything around then will probably cut as heights are rising in the east.  Good news is that if/when the potential day 6-7 event falls through that will be it for a while, if not till next winter.  So if your holding out hope for something next weekend, it ain't happening, atleast in the SE.  We would need something to happen Wed-Friday for a suppressed event and that is looking more and more unlikely by the day.  I would think by Sunday afternoon we will have a clue whether Wed-Friday has a chance, if not, we can look forward to more seasonal temps next weekend and beyond and that will be that for majority outside of the north-west NC/SC/GA.

A little too early to be saying all that.

Archived