joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Euro crushes New England again, so what else is new. Also looking extremely interesting for the SE in 7 days with more snow for north GA. Utterly different than the GFS is all respects. What a horrible pattern for any sort of predictability....luckily I am still on vacation and do not have to deal with it for a bit longer.

Looks like DOC is gonna have another threat D9-10 as well.

Yes, but ice, at least for GA. I will be happy if one of these threats verifies, 3 is too much to hope for.

EDIT: wow the fantasy Doc is a crushing ice storm for many. Really hope that is not correct, that would be pretty devastating.

ice in March is about as common as a snowstorm in July. I think the last time ATL had a March ice storm was about 55 years ago.

I understand how it's easy to go on the side of History, but analogs and all that good stuff didn't exactly work as planned this year.  I think anything is possible.  There are multiple threats (waves) back to back etc etc on modeling and has been.  Some threats are marginal, but the idea of Winter weather being possible for us is very real.

I expect yet another good looking EPS run.

ice in March is about as common as a snowstorm in July. I think the last time ATL had a March ice storm was about 55 years ago.

I don't think anything about the fantasy system the Euro has at D9-10, but ice is also rare in March here, but that didn't stop us from having the worst ice storm (and a ton of sleet) since 2002 IMBY last March 6th-7th (from a Miller A with the HP sliding OTS, no less). History is great, but there are always exceptions.

That's not true. The last major ATL March ZR storm was 3/25/1971. Yes. 3/25!! That storm produced a huge snow far NE GA into W NC.

**Edited for careless error:

ATL had 4 major ZR's during March, alone, during the period 1948-71.

I think these storms would be more likely to be sheered into nothing vs. a giant southern slide that misses most of us. The sliders that have occurred tend  to be weak and the low going south of ATL to CAE then off the coast. Climo this year has tended to make storms either a Miller B/Cutter or nothing.  I'll be interested to see how Tuesday trends. This year cutoffs have come out faster and stronger than modeled from the west and the PV tends to not be as strong as modeled 5 days out.  I don't buy the Euro past 200 hours at all how it drops the PV down and just lets it rot away in the midwest. That hasn't happened all winter and I don't expect it to happen now. Euro does look realistic to me on Tuesday it keeps the low weak and just shifts it out to sea to blow up into a noreaster....though anytime you're depending on northern energy it gets sketchy for the south. 

I think these storms would be more likely to be sheered into nothing vs. a giant southern slide that misses most of us. The sliders that have occurred tend  to be weak and the low going south of ATL to CAE then off the coast. Climo this year has tended to make storms either a Miller B/Cutter or nothing.  I'll be interested to see how Tuesday trends. This year cutoffs have come out faster and stronger than modeled from the west and the PV tends to not be as strong as modeled 5 days out.  I don't buy the Euro past 200 hours at all how it drops the PV down and just lets it rot away in the midwest. That hasn't happened all winter and I don't expect it to happen now. Euro does look realistic to me on Tuesday it keeps the low weak and just shifts it out to sea to blow up into a noreaster....though anytime you're depending on northern energy it gets sketchy for the south. 

Just FYI:  All but three of the 32 MAJOR Miller A snows/sleets in Atlanta (32 of 39 from Miller A's) since the late 1800's were produced by a low with a lowest pressure of 1000+ mb while still in the Gulf. Many of them were 1010+ and as high as 1020 while still in the Gulf. Two were 995-999 and then there was the 976ish 1993 Storm of the Century.

Generally, a winding up low before leaving the Gulf leads to too much WAA in many cases.

Euro snow map from last night for the day 5 potential.  Not surprising with the differences in the models at day 5-7, we have seen it all winter so hard to take this serious.  But the EPS again has 2 events showing for wintery weather, this day 5 event and a day 8 or so event.  The GEFS memmbers have nothing for day 5, but has several hits between day 6-7, actually several suppressed hits day 6-7.  The UK does favor the Euro solution, it does have a light event day 5 and has a weak gulf low day 6 showing.  The Euro has gotten it's butt kicked all year with events at this range, I would suspect it probably will again and this day 5 event will evaporate and we will be left to look at what happens when the SW low does come out and if something can phase with it.

post-2311-0-42563400-1424437885_thumb.pn

Just FYI:  All but three of the 32 MAJOR Miller A snows/sleets in Atlanta (32 of 39 from Miller A's) since the late 1800's were produced by a low with a lowest pressure of 1000+ mb while still in the Gulf. Many of them were 1010+ and as high as 1020 while still in the Gulf. Two were 995-999 and then there was the 976ish 1993 Storm of the Century.

Generally, a winding up low before leaving the Gulf leads to too much WAA in many cases.

Yea in reality during winter how often has a storm taken a Miller A track and blown up to that 995 LP? Obviously for ATL it isn't much and it isn't much for the Carolinas. I like the overrunning weak low events much better though for my own selfish interest I kind of don't like them since they usually jackpot folks to my south and east. 

RAH disco:

ON TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...THE FORECAST BECOMES EXTREMELY LOW
CONFIDENCE AS SOLUTIONS VARY WIDELY REGARDING A SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE
COMING OUT OF THE GULF OF MEXICO AND MOVING UP THE EAST
COAST...POTENTIALLY BRINGING THE CHANCE FOR SNOW TO THE CWA ON
TUESDAY EVENING/WEDNESDAY MORNING. THE DETERMINISTIC RUNS OF THE 00Z
GFS AND ECMWF PAINT A VERY STARKLY CONTRASTING BEST/WORST (DEPENDING
ON YOUR POINT OF VIEW) CASE SCENARIO FOR CENTRAL NC. BECAUSE THE
DETAILS ARE SO MURKY AT THIS POINT THE SHORT OF IT IS THAT THE GFS
IS COMPLETELY DRY THROUGH THE PERIOD AND THE ECMWF HAS A COASTAL LOW
BRINGING SNOW TO ALL OF CENTRAL NC TUESDAY EVENING/NIGHT. DIGGING
INTO THE ENSEMBLE FORECASTS OF THESE TWO MODELS...THE TRUTH LIKELY
WILL LAY SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE AS THE GFS IS A FAR EASTERN OUTLIER
(AND THUS DRY)...AND THE ECMWF IS A FAR WESTERN OUTLIER (THUS SNOW).
WHAT WE DO KNOW IS AT THIS POINT IN TIME...IF...DRAMATIC PAUSE...WE
WERE TO GET PRECIPITATION ON TUESDAY NIGHT...A FAIR AMOUNT OF IT
WOULD BE SNOW AS THE WET BULB ZERO LINE IS DOWN ALONG THE COAST AND
THERE IS GOOD SATURATION IN THE ICE NUCLEATION ZONE. BECAUSE OF THE
WIDE ENVELOPE OF POSSIBILITIES...WILL COVER IT WITH SLIGHT CHANCE OF
SNOW IN THE FORECAST
. TEMPS AND EVERYTHING ELSE WILL DEPEND ON THE
TRACK OF THE LOW...IF THERE IS ONE...BUT GENERALLY HIGHS IN THE 30S
AND LOWS IN THE 20S.

00z EPS mean seems to be a bit more suppressed than the 12z from yesterday and the cluster of the lows also more S & E off the coast for the 2/25 system. Not sure if this is where we want to be right now or not...could just end up being an OTS system and the GFS being dry may be right. We'll see. I'm excited about the 10-day pattern though for sure.

Edit: typos

00z EPS mean seems to be a bit more suppressed than the 12z from yesterday and the cluster of the lows also more S & E off the coast for the 2/25 system. Not sure if this is where we want to be right now our not...could just end up being an OTS system and the GFS being try may be right. We'll see. I'm excited about the 10-day pattern though for sure.

Yeah I agree.  Not as excited for next week as yesterday.  Things are trending toward supression/poor timing.  I don't like the fact that the GEFS is even suppressed for next week.  I wouldn't be suprised if the EURO trended more supressed today.  I still think late next week is our best/last hope though. 

Yeah I agree. Not as excited for next week as yesterday. Things are trending toward supression/poor timing. I don't like the fact that the GEFS is even suppressed for next week. I wouldn't be suprised if the EURO trended more supressed today. I still think late next week is our best/last hope though.

Last Mondays storm says Hello!

Went to supression worries , before going up to a WV low, ended up in the middle at the end.

Archived