joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree for the most part but the GFS and Canadian bring warm air up over the eastern half of NC and turn it to rain. If it's already showing rain for those portions this far out it's not a good sign.

Valid point but those things can be changed very easily in future runs. For example the speed of the low could be faster or the high could also hold longer. Another factor could be the track of the low and lots of times that will determine P-types. With this being so far out, things will change. We just have to hope the changes are in our favor.

Euro actually puts down 1-3 for NC and probably 2-4 for RDU. 

Seems a little bit like the 2000 setup (I know, hopeless optimist).  Simply massive cold air injections along with 7-10 days of successive light to moderate events (sleetfest early this week, convective snow yesterday, perhaps a little bit on Saturday, 1-3/2-4 ish Mon-Tues next week followed by the Hammer of Thor late next week, the 2015 version of the Crusher.

I would be quite happy with that :)

I agree with those exact thoughts.  It's highly encouraging to see the WPC say something like: THE MAIN THEMES REMAIN THE SAME: CONTINUED TRANSPORT OF

ARCTIC AIR INTO THE EASTERN UNITED STATES AND PRIMARY STORM TRACK

ANCHORED TO THE SOUTH.

We are all pretty much forced all in for next week some time as Spring is right around the corner.  Ending the season with a bang for everyone would be great.

Totally agree with this last statement. Heat Pumps are NOT made for this kind of weather especially in a older house. Mine has not shut off since about 7or 8pm last night. Don't event want to think about next months electric bill.

Totally agree with this last statement. Heat Pumps are NOT made for this kind of weather especially in a older house. Mine has not shut off since about 7or 8pm last night. Don't event want to think about next months electric bill.

We run a set of ventless gas logs to off set the heat pump when he goes below 20...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been painful. My emergency heat was cutting on with it set at 66. This is going to be a very painful month on the power bill. 

SFC low in GOM, precip exploding over I-10 and spilling north.  Light *ie Light* snow over into NGA, N AL and TN some into Upstate.  VERY close to a raging ice storm for me and Shawn.  Then the low throws moisture back over the Carolinas, but warms them up so it would be ice...a weird run...but, at least its there and suppressed is ok IMHO

SFC low in GOM, precip exploding over I-10 and spilling north.  Light *ie Light* snow over into NGA, N AL and TN some into Upstate.  VERY close to a raging ice storm for me and Shawn.  Then the low throws moisture back over the Carolinas, but warms them up so it would be ice...a weird run...but, at least its there and suppressed is ok IMHO

Hey Chris, maps I have access to look like snow for everyone west of 95. in NC...850's are cold enough probably 60 miles east of CLT or so. 

AGREED...With that 1036mb+ high in control..this would hammer many...The hell with the clown maps right now... but, yes...many will be disappointed when they see them from this run.

All I want is the continued theme of a gulf low and nice big high pressure to the north holding hands as they gingerly walk across the US to the east.  If that theme can continue through the weekend I'll be happy.  Then we can start looking at trends. 

It has been painful. My emergency heat was cutting on with it set at 66. This is going to be a very painful month on the power bill. 

Yep my auxiliary heat ran for most of the night once it reached about 15.

We run a set of ventless gas logs to off set the heat pump when he goes below 20...

Sent from my iPhone

The last owner removed the fireplace/chemney. I should probably look into a couple of small kerosenes heater I suppose.

Looking forward to late next week I think I'll take a miss on Tuesdays possible storm for the one at the end of the month. That system seems to have more of an upside as far as being a signature storm for most of the southeast.

Models are chaotic next week with storms in the southern stream (to be expected), but the cold keeps coming down.  Here's the 850mb temp anomaly avg for days 5-10 on the Euro

5_10_day_temps.png

agreed...honestly, I think you and many would agree....This is the PERFECT setup for a winter storm in the SE.  

Shawn should be happy CAE wins the fantasy snow on the Euro lol. 

Starting to think when all is said and done, we are gonna have to possibly worry about ice this way sometime next week.  You guys should fare better on the fluffy side of things.

With that said, a weaker system as depicted may keep the WAA at bay.. and allow us to get some good flakes.  If that thing over-strengthens ice is on the table at some point.  Eric made a good point that in a setup like this, almost always there is some sort of ice involved at some point.

Amen to the heat pump! Once ice is on the ground, it's a lost cause. We just shut ours off, hunker down with the heaters in one room, then race for the electric blankets in the other! If the storm next weekend comes in with ice again in the Sandhills, it'll be a long vacation for the heat pump.

Starting to think when all is said and done, we are gonna have to possibly worry about ice this way sometime next week.  You guys should fare better on the fluffy side of things.

With that said, a weaker system as depicted may keep the WAA at bay.. and allow us to get some good flakes.  If that thing over-strengthens ice is on the table at some point.  Eric made a good point that in a setup like this, almost always there is some sort of ice involved at some point.

I'll say again, the best snow I have experienced this winter was in your hometown on Nov 2. We were in town for a Gamecock football game...wakeup to huge snowflakes of heavy snow. End up with close to 4" on the ground.

I'll say again, the best snow I have experienced this winter was in your hometown on Nov 2. We were in town for a Gamecock football game...wakeup to huge snowflakes of heavy snow. End up with close to 4" on the ground.

Meanwhile 5 minutes away from there I got not a single flurry. I am pretty sure that snow melted in like 30 minutes. Most freakish thing ever.

Archived