joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe no one is talking about this weekends storm, GFS has nearly 8" in Boone...that'd be the biggest storm of the season by far and even has the foothills in the 2-4" range

The chatter will pickup tonight, if the models are still barking. Been an awesome week. Winter storm, record cold and of all things a clipper surviving over the mtns.

This is a shot where taking with house money this weekend for a select group of posters. Next week if we can get just a little luck timing wiseTues through Friday could be an awesome going out party as winter gets ready to start closing out.

The chatter will pickup tonight, if the models are still barking. Been an awesome week. Winter storm, record cold and of all things a clipper surviving over the mtns.

This is a shot where taking with house money this weekend for a select group of posters. Next week if we can get just a little luck timing wiseTues through Friday could be an awesome going out party as winter gets ready to start closing out.

I could go for a chase if my volunteering service get cancelled Saturday. Boone will do much better than Asheville, that's for sure!

Greg, I actually think you have a chance to end up with my point forecast, lol.  Didn't you get zr and ip this last time?  The way that front draped almost parallel to the gulf, meant it'd never get cold here until well past the rain, but you got some of the cad push didn't you?  T

Tony, I got nada. When I got home, it was 34F and 38F when I went to bed. I noticed on my drive to work yesterday and today, the icing really began where HWY 20 and 108 intersect in Cherokee Cty.  The ridge that the Cherokee Cty Airport sits on got hammered.

Can't believe no one is talking about this weekends storm, GFS has nearly 8" in Boone...that'd be the biggest storm of the season by far and even has the foothills in the 2-4" range

Hey AirNelson...This weekends storm has its own thread.  Good luck, I hope you get the goods!

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45776-february-20th-21st-winter-storm-threat/

Here's a comparison of the big 4 operational models at hr144, next Tues morning (18z GFS at hr138).  Key features for a big dog are the PV lobe / cold vortex just NW of the Great Lakes, and the closed low over California / desert southwest.  In a perfect world, the cold vortex slowly rotates southeast through the Great Lakes, then over Northern New England and SE Canada...Cold High pressure builds into the Great Lakes behind this feature....Meanwhile, the California low kicks out and spawns a Gulf Low in concert with cold air in place.  Obviously, it's a long way out, but the nice thing here is that these are large scale features as currently modeled, and not a setup reliant on less predictable fast moving features in the flow. 

144_Compare.gif

Here's a comparison of the big 4 operational models at hr144, next Tues morning (18z GFS at hr138). Key features for a big dog are the PV lobe / cold vortex just NW of the Great Lakes, and the closed low over California / desert southwest. In a perfect world, the cold vortex slowly rotates southeast through the Great Lakes, then over Northern New England and SE Canada...Cold High pressure builds into the Great Lakes behind this feature....Meanwhile, the California low kicks out and spawns a Gulf Low in concert with cold air in place. Obviously, it's a long way out, but the nice thing here is that these are large scale features as currently modeled, and not a setup reliant on less predictable fast moving features in the flow.

144_Compare.gif

Man at that southern jet! This looks like a real deal big dog! And only 7 days out. That sprawling high in the plains is a real beauty!

That's a big dog staring us down at 216.  I like the looks of this one.  Big 50/50 low setting up with HP all over the top.

Yeah, it's about all we could ask for w/ the exception of it being 24 hours away instead of 216...LOL

Atlanta big dawg incoming in at 225.

Archived