joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For ATL-AHN, we need a better/closer cold air supply. The high way up int he N Plains is not a good position.

Yeah, 2m's are very warm, starts with temps in the 40's in central NC then drops to mid-30's during heart of precip.  The HP in Alberta needs to be 200 miles SE.  Or we need the H5 low to cut off, that would solve a lot of problems.

Edit:  All in all a good run.

So much potential for next week. GFS was meh, but ensembles look much better. Canadian had a good storm here. Hope the Euro comes around. The great thing is something is showing up with the runs and ensembles still instead of just dropping everything. In fact, things continue to trend better. Looks like we have a legit shot for at least one winter storm next week.

If we could somehow get a 50/50 low to develop for the weekend system, I think that setup could yield something very very big for the east coast. At this point, it's only hope though. The euro looks like it's a precursor to ice through early day 6. Can't tell yet though until i see day 7-10

Yep, the big runs a few days ago had the southwest low coming out a little later when the sfc high was in good position

Yep, the mid-week comes out a little to fast and the late week, well we will see.  Still hold out hope for the mid-week, if we get a SLP tracking off the SE coast with precip being thrown back and it's rain...just got to shake your head.

What's funny is we are cold Tuesday, we are seasonal Wednesday, the SLP comes in, borderline temps, and then we are cold Thursday after it departs, LOL.

Yep, the mid-week comes out a little to fast and the late week, well we will see.  Still hold out hope for the mid-week, if we get a SLP tracking off the SE coast with precip being thrown back and it's rain...just got to shake your head.

What's funny is we are cold Tuesday, we are seasonal Wednesday, the SLP comes in, borderline temps, and then we are cold Thursday after it departs, LOL.

That's the way it's been all winter! Rain in between cold shots. That's what a +NAO will do for you.. Frustrating to say the least.

Yep, the mid-week comes out a little to fast and the late week, well we will see. Still hold out hope for the mid-week, if we get a SLP tracking off the SE coast with precip being thrown back and it's rain...just got to shake your head.

sounds like the whole winter. I think most of Virginia is now at climo. Getting pretty pathetic for everyone south of Virginia and ky.

That's the way it's been all winter! Rain in between cold shots. That's what a +NAO will do for you.. Frustrating to say the least.

Yeah keeping that high in just the right place can be troublesome. Its like balancing a basketball on a pencil without the Atlantic/Baffin block.

sounds like the whole winter. I think most of Virginia is now at climo. Getting pretty pathetic for everyone south of Virginia and ky.

Well next weekend doesn't have a prayer, IMO, so I am all in on this southern low for mid week. I like where it's at right now, I am hoping it eventually cuts off, tracks to our south, cold air won't be a problem then. Or, it slows about 6-12 hours to allow the HP to come in. Lots of options for that system.

I don't believe the Euro with the track of next weekends storm yet. Especially this winter as bad as it has done at LR. GFS, GEFS, GGEM, GGEMENS, EPS, JMA, all say a coastal track at this point. Of course the other models haven't done a great job either this winter and we have the dreaded NW trend most of the time. I guess we better hope we get something out of the Wed - Thur system.

Well next weekend doesn't have a prayer, IMO, so I am all in on this southern low for mid week. I like where it's at right now, I am hoping it eventually cuts off, tracks to our south, cold air won't be a problem then. Or, it slows about 6-12 hours to allow the HP to come in. Lots of options for that system.

Pack,

You don't think 12Z GFS could be correct? It gives you a major winter storm next weekend.

Pack,

You don't think 12Z GFS could be correct? It gives you a major winter storm next weekend.

I'd also note that even the Euro gives the NC CAD regions a major winter storm via ice before going over to rain.

The Euro isn't exactly being consistent, either.  Today's run was quite a bit different than last night's.

Yeah keeping that high in just the right place can be troublesome. Its like balancing a basketball on a pencil without the Atlantic/Baffin block.

If we could have had a -NAO from just time to time it could have been a heckva winter!!! We will get a -NAO soon probably but to late when it's well into March or April... Mountains can still score then.

Pack,

No, heights are rising in the east at that time, I think this tracks inland. Just last week we had the most supressed storm track we could possibly get and it still wasn't supressed enough. For this weekend event the west coast ridge is in the pacific and the trough axis is between Dallas and Denver. I very well may be wrong though.

12z EPS has a great storm signal for Wed/Thurs...looks a lot like the GEFS. 

has it improved drastically over the 00z? I see tighter grouping near the gulf out to 102 but don't have the other frames yet.

Edit: got the new frames, tighter grouping at 06z Thursday but still a good amount of spread, lots of sub 1000mb lows along the SC/NC coast, I believe more-so than the 00z EPS members had.

Euro Control Run is going to be a crush job for the Wednesday storm. Plenty cold both at 850mb and the surface in N. GA and Northern SC.. Also looks like a nice precip shield pushing north.

Edit: I spook too soon, for some reason it rapidly warms everybody as night time approaches Wednesday evening. Still a big hit for the foothills of NC though.

Archived