• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Forecast/storm discussions and part II Manitoba Mauler

Damage In Tolland

The radar is pretty impressive..GFS is def too far east to me. Prob even the RGEM. But I also think the Euro is too far west.

I think that's the way you have to play it right now.

It is the Euro, which gives you some pause, but if this was any other model that far west and juiced it would be tossed.

This is reminding me of 1/26/11 when the model mayhem was so severe I had no idea what was going to happen.  Meanwhile, it's snowing heavily here and the radar looks pretty great.  Unless the western edge of the radar is about to dry up, it seems to me that the GFS and RGEM have almost busted already.

To support the non-panicky dialogue (despite the fact that I am a spotlight staring, radar obsessing, frightened weenie), this is the update from BOX at 9:30:

930 PM UPDATE...
WV LOOP SHOWS CLASSIC CYCLOGENESIS TAKING PLACE WITH WELL DEFINED
COMMA HEAD OFF MID ATLC COAST WITH WARM CONVEYOR BELT/TROWAL
LIFTING NWD INTO NEW ENG. STILL PLENTY OF JET ENERGY DIVING SOUTH
TO THE SE US COAST WITH TRAILING NEG TILT SHORTWAVE/MID LEVEL
CIRCULATION OFF NC COAST WITH SCT LIGHTNING STRIKES NOTED. IT IS
THIS SHORTWAVE THAT WILL RESULT IN DEEPENING MID LEVEL LOW CENTER
AND EXPLOSIVE CYCLOGENESIS SOUTH OF NEW ENG

I think that's the way you have to play it right now.

It is the Euro, which gives you some pause, but if this was any other model that far west and juiced it would be tossed.

This will go down as one of the Euro's poorer performances.  Ultimately what NCEP kept noting on it being too slow vs the other models continued to bite its' forecasts.   I'm hoping the CMC products are missing something and are kicking the low NE too fast in the morning.  NAM and GFS are very nice. 

Looking at the WV and analysis, at least through it's first 6-12 hours I really like the 0z GFS.

We are absolutely getting pasted here right now. I'm worried that within the next few hours the power's gonna go out. We're seeing gusts easily over 40mph. I'm jealous of those seeing snow of a lighter consistency as this stuff is backbreaking to move. Best of luck to everyone keeping their lights on tonight!

To support the non-panicky dialogue (despite the fact that I am a spotlight staring, radar obsessing, frightened weenie), this is the update from BOX at 9:30:

930 PM UPDATE...

WV LOOP SHOWS CLASSIC CYCLOGENESIS TAKING PLACE WITH WELL DEFINED

COMMA HEAD OFF MID ATLC COAST WITH WARM CONVEYOR BELT/TROWAL

LIFTING NWD INTO NEW ENG. STILL PLENTY OF JET ENERGY DIVING SOUTH

TO THE SE US COAST WITH TRAILING NEG TILT SHORTWAVE/MID LEVEL

CIRCULATION OFF NC COAST WITH SCT LIGHTNING STRIKES NOTED. IT IS

THIS SHORTWAVE THAT WILL RESULT IN DEEPENING MID LEVEL LOW CENTER

AND EXPLOSIVE CYCLOGENESIS SOUTH OF NEW ENG.

That's exactly why the GFS is too far east IMO (the current 0z run)...with what is bolded that all should allow for a further west track than what the GFS has now.  

This will go down as one of the Euro's poorer performances.  Ultimately what NCEP kept noting on it being too slow vs the other models continued to bite its' forecasts.   I'm hoping the CMC products are missing something and are kicking the low NE too fast in the morning.  NAM and GFS are very nice. 

Looking at the WV and analysis, at least through it's first 6-12 hours I really like the 0z GFS.

Dood...your gonna get pounded. The later capture is perfect for you....and this will capture/stall. 

Curious to see what HPC does with the next update. Probably need to start thinking about sharpening the western edge.

Yeah, it is too far east. So is the GFS. I mean the GFS is laughable. NAM precip shield looks off to me too. It had nothing heavy near me until 6z, it's 4z and my vis is down to like 100 yds lol.

The Euro was also too far west. As usual, the blend is your friend.

Sbos,  how is this grievously wrong?  It may have slightly underdone the strength of the one band over western LI but the edge of where it'd be is kind of well defined.  It's also picking up on the expanding area of moisture I think every well..coming up from the south.

What am I missing that you are so clearly seeing?

IkAHN4H.png

How is this euro too far west or grievously wrong?

I just did a little comparison. The Red L is the location of our storm at 6z on the 12z euro run. There Blue L is the actual current 4z location of the storm. 

How the hell is the euro wrong yet? 12z is when NYC gets the goods on the 12z euro, and the current storm track isn't far off!

29ap82c.png

Sbos,  how is this grievously wrong?  It may have slightly underdone the strength of the one band over western LI but the edge of where it'd be is kind of well defined.  It's also picking up on the expanding area of moisture I think every well..coming up from the south.

What am I missing that you are so clearly seeing?

It's way wrong with the precip near NYC. Look at how light it is. There is a deform band on the city's doorstep as we speak.

I believe euro will end up being largely right. Nj not far from getting into the action. To say this is a terrible euro performance to me is ludicrous. It trended appropriately. But unlike the others didn't bounce around with huge swings.

Agree. But it has been ticking, just ticking, east the last two runs.

I believe euro will end up being largely right. Nj not far from getting into the action. To say this is a terrible euro performance to me is ludicrous. It trended appropriately. But unlike the others didn't bounce around with huge swings.

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/ny/new-york-city/okx/?region=hfd

Heavy snow backing into NYC.

How is this euro too far west or grievously wrong?

I just did a little comparison. The Red L is the location of our storm at 6z on the 12z euro run. There Blue L is the actual current 4z location of the storm. 

How the hell is the euro wrong yet? 12z is when NYC gets the goods on the 12z euro, and the current storm track isn't far off!

I will say that NWP is pretty terrible at choosing surface low locations. I would focus more on upper level features (which admittedly is more difficult since we have so much real time MSLP data).